"Lost" Diary -- Greatest Hits

5/17/2007 11:53 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Hey, it's Daniel from TMZ here, back with another edition of the "Lost" Diary.

Tonight's episode is a Charlie flashback one, so obviously I am anticipating his (hopefully painful) demise. If you haven't been with me since the beginning, I hate Charlie. I think his character is useless on the show and it doesn't help things that the actor who plays him is dating Evangeline Lilly, who plays Kate. You can't be the worst character on one of my favorite shows AND date someone that hot. Just ain't right. So I apologize in advance if I spend half this episode begging for Charlie to die.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes. I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. This week the crew is Ari, Lauren, Marisa, April and Matt. April made cupcakes tonight and Charlie might die -- what more could I want? Let's roll:
Lost
10:00 -- "No matter what I do, you're gonna die, Charlie." -- Desmond, from a few weeks back. Please don't be a liar, Desmond. Please, please, please.

10:01 -- Someone goes running through the beach, grabs a boat, and makes off with it into the ocean. Couldn't really see who it was, but it looked like Karl, Alex's boyfriend.

10:02 -- "I don't know, stuff? Probably secret stuff." -- Hurley. Sawyer's attempts at humor have worn thin on me, but Hurley's have not.

10:03 -- When was the last time we saw so many characters together? Feels like the old band is back together.

10:04 -- Jack's speech was awesome. Seriously, I am ready to go and fight the Others right now (except for Henry Gale, of course). It was like he channeled his inner "Braveheart." The entire room just broke out in applause. Anyone who complained that Jack has turned into a (female cat) can rest rest easy now. Just one question: Why exactly did he blow up the tree?

10:07 -- Before this flashback starts, I am making a pledge: I will only say nice things about Charlie until he dies. This pledge only lasts for this episode. What are the odds I can keep it?

10:08 -- As soon as Lauren realized it was a Charlie flashback episode, she yelled out, "It's your night, Dan!" Don't jinx it Lauren.

10:09 -- Um, Charlie has nice handwriting.

10:10 -- "Look on the bright side: you're not really dead, right?" -- Naomi. Right?

10:11 -- The Others have a station, the Looking Glass, that jams all signals off the island, including Danielle's distress signal that has been playing for 16 years. Maybe if she explored the island a bit, she could have learned some of this stuff sooner.

10:12 -- Let's see ... um, Charlie is ... nice to Aaron ... when he isn't kidnapping him and dragging him into the ocean. Wait, does that count?

10:13 -- So, apparently, Charlie has to die for there to be a rescue. Seems like a fair trade to me, right? But wait ... they aren't getting rescued in the next two episodes (Hello? Three more seasons!) so there is no way the helicopter comes and Charlie can't die (at least not like that). Oh man, I am getting a bad feeling.

10:17 -- Um, Charlie was a cute kid.

10:18 -- So let's review now: the episode is called "Greatest Hits" and it's starting to feel like Charlie's flashback scenes are the most memorable moments of his life -- one might call them the greatest hits. Is this an homage to Charlie? A swan song? I am starting to get excited again.

10:19 -- It seems Charlie drowns to death. Slow and painful, I like that.

10:20 -- Charlie volunteers to swim to the hatch and flip the switch. He's admirable, I'll give him that.

10:21 -- Oh dear lord, I have never been so happy to see a middle-aged interracial couple in my whole life. I speak for every single "Lost" fan when I say this: We missed you, Rose and Bernard.
Lost
10:22 -- I am usually turned off to "Lost's" sappier moments, except when Sun and Jin are involved.

10:23 -- The boat from the beginning of the episode swims ashore, and lo and behold, it's Karl, who happens to take a nasty open-sand tackle from Sayid.

10:24 -- "No, they're coming tonight ... They're coming right now!" -- Karl. Uh oh.

10:27 -- "Here's your gun back." Henry Gale to Alex. How much do I love this man?

10:28 -- Whoa, so Henry Gale is planning on taking any women they can find and killing any men who get in their way. You're making it hard for me to love you, Henry.

10:29 -- Alex is the one who warned Karl to warn the Losties. Why exactly do the Others let her hang around when they make plans?

10:30 -- "Is he my father?" -- Alex. Wow, this is like that scene in "Empire Strikes Back" when Luke finds out Darth Vader is really his dad -- only the exact opposite.

10:31 -- "They know, Karl. But thanks." -- Juliet.

10:32 -- Two things about Jack's second "Braveheart" speech of the night. First of all, I'll say it again: welcome back, Jack. Glad you go your cajones back from Juliet's purse. Second, if Desmond is going to try and do something to help save Charlie, I will black out with rage. Just saying.

10:33 -- Another Charlie greatest hit and I can see why. Oh, it's because of his brother and the ring. Eh, I guess that was nice.

10:35 -- Odds Charlie gives Aaron the ring?

10:36 -- Guess not.

10:41 -- Charlie is good at fending off muggers with a guitar. Wasn't Charlie playing the same song in the same place as he was in Desmond's weird flashback episode from earlier this year? Oh, and by the way, the girl that Charlie saved was Sayid's girlfriend, Nadia. Small world, huh?
Lost
10:42 -- If Charlie is making a list of the five greatest moments in his life, what reason does he have to write one down every 15 minutes?

10:43 -- "Nothing is going to happen to me, Rose." -- Bernard. Uh oh.

10:44
-- "Then I am staying too." -- Rose. Double uh oh. This can't be good.

10:45 -- "I like you better since you got back, Jack." -- Rose. Man, I missed her. She said what we ALL were thinking.

10:46 -- Jack's "Braveheart" speeches were good. But Sayid matched him with the "you're our leader, so act like one" speech.

10:47 -- Charlie's "goodbye" to Hurley was touching. Doesn't change anything between us though, Charlie. Your death is still my Christmas morning. Santa better come down that chimney in the next 13 minutes!

10:50 -- The suspense of the Others' raid is killing me!

10:51 -- Ah ha! I knew Charlie left Aaron that ring. Too easy.

10:52 -- Into the ocean go Charlie and Desmond ...

10:53 -- Charlie's number one memory is meeting Claire -- how sweet. Of course, it's sooooooo sweet that I am now 100% certain he's going to die.
Lost
10:55 -- Desmond is trying to take Charlie's place. Do not take this moment from me. I don't ask for much, brutha! Let the little hobbit die!!!

10:56 -- Desmond, no, please stop. Come on Charlie, be a man!!!!

10:57 -- Yes!!! Charlie, I've never loved you more. But did you really need to hit him in the head with an oar?

10:58 -- Please, I can't take another week of this. Just let him die before this episode ends.

10:59 -- "I'm alive!" -- Charlie. Yeah, I see that.

11:00 -- Hmmm, chicks with guns. Desmond didn't see that coming, did he?

That was like the "Mission: Impossible" version of "Lost." It had the foot to the pedal from the opening scene to the very last moment. I have never been more exhausted watching an hour of television in my life. The anticipation involved with everything that was going on nearly gave me a heart attack. I need a shower and a nap.

This episode was really just a bridge between last week's episode and next week's finale. But what a bridge it was! Jack was back to his old self and Rose and Bernard were just back. That alone is enough to give this episode an A. Except for the fact that ...

... CHARLIE DIDN'T DIE!!! I SAT THROUGH CHARLIE FLASHBACKS FOR NOTHING!!!

So I have to give the episode a B. You can't NOT kill Charlie -- when you set him up to die so perfectly -- and expect to get an A from me. Not happening.

As for Charlie not dying, well, I'll be alright. Don't worry about me. I mean, it's just a TV show ... right?

Final thoughts: We shouldn't be surprised that the Looking Glass wasn't what we thought it would be. Juliet said that all she knew about it was what Henry Gale told her and -- surprise, surprise -- he lied. There is more going on in that station than we realize -- another way off the island, maybe? Or perhaps it is the real way off the island.

Time for this week's question: Why does God hate me? Seriously, WTF?!?! Just kill Charlie already, please! OK, seriously. Here is my real question ... I have asked this one multiple times, but with only one episode left, it's fitting to ask it again. The producers of "Lost" come up to you and say, "We'll solve one mystery for you in the finale, which one do you want?" What do you choose?

As for other "Lost" Diary business, I thought the Q&A went well, and I'll definitely do another one. You can send your questions to questions@thelostdiary.com and the article will appear Monday at Noon ET on www.thelostdiary.com. Now that we've got one under our belts, you can see the kinds of questions I chose, so feel free to have fun with it. (Ed.'s note: Click here for this week's Q&A)

See you next week.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Yvette

Y'all need to head over to thelostdiary.com...Daniel has posted a great homemade (but very high quality, I might add) video. It's a must-see before tonight's episode!

pam park

Charlie isn't dating Kate (Evangeine Lilly's character), he's in a pseudo relationship with Claire on the show!!! Though in real life he (not his character) is dating Evangeline...

Glee (I'm baaaaack)

So I've been thinking about time travel and about space-time continuums and the strong theme of redemption.

I said before that the others remind me of the breakers from Stephen King's The Dark Tower Series. At the end of that series the main character finds out that his whole journey was compromised because he didn't make the right decisions along the way, and got inserted back into the point of the story where he started down the wrong path (after seeing flashes of all his many lives that he has been on this journey).

I can see some of these elements in the LOST story, but what if the crucial characters (Ben, Jack, etc) ALL have to make a series of right decisions in order to acheive the desired outcome?. It would explain why Desmond could see different versions of his past, Desmond seeing different versions of Charlie's future, and also the fact that as well as richard seems the same age in the various flashes that include him (and in this version richard has already chose his correct path?). Maybe we the flashbacks were never flashbacks but different versions of pasts they have already lived?

I dunno maybe I've just confused myself even further.

Suesee

omg!!!!!! i'm in canada, and Lost is on in like 10 minuites!!!!!!!!! HYPER!!! EXCITING!!!!! YEEEEEEEEEAAHHHHH

Wendy

seriously
the season finale of lost was amazing!!!!!!!!
the show ended about 50 minutes ago and i'm still reeling!
the first 1 and 30 minutes were ok...but the last half blew my mind.

you're all going to love it!

VikkiBnyc

i CAN NOT WAIT to read the lost diary on Thursday@@@@@ this was such a asskicking episode

stormybabe

I couldn't sleep after that!!! What a ride...! And glee, I think you might have something there... Can't wait for Daniel's blog! Now I know why In 'n Out are so good! ;)

wicky

Here's a thought: how could Jack's flash "forwards" during the season finale be just that if his father's alive? Everyone remember the prescription he tried to fill was written by his dad. But especially the scene where he's arguing with the other doctor and says something along the lines "go upstairs and get my father...if he's not drunker than I am fire me".

Therapist32

I cant believe it, I actually was truly feeling bad for Charlie by the end of this episode.

Who wants to bet Naomi might have something to do with the people in the Looking Glass?

Therapist32

I also thought they were going to explain why Charlie used to have "L-A-T-E" Written on bandages on his hand. Guess I was wrong....

jProud American Author

I hope that Charlie doesn't die. I cried last night when he left his ring in the crib. Now are far as the "Others" go...I hope Jack saves the island and gets rid of most of them.

I would like to know-what happened to the two people buried alive? Did they did out?
What/who are the monsters?
Where are the children?
Why do the OThers want to steal children and pregnant women?
Do people come back to life (Locke..I miss you)
Oh this show is so addictive. It drives me crazy!

Rich

Well, you guys know where I stand on this, and it hasn't changed. I still want to take a BIG, smelly, steamy dump on Jack's forehead.

kateinCT

Daniel, I think everyone who reads this felt your pain! But, I felt sorry for Charlie at the end and was happy he didn't die.

Nice bridge to next week's season finale. Desmond comes down to help Charlie, so a whole new "hatch" will be opened.

I give this episode an A!

Josie

Totally agree with you about Charlie...and I didn't need to see through that episode to see just Charlie's story grrrrr...but still, that was good to see the Looking glass...like you are saying ''There is more going on in that station than we realize -- another way off the island, maybe? Or perhaps it is the real way off the island.'' we will see maybe on the 2hours special the next week...but not sure that we will know about it...producers like to keep the suspense until fall...yeah UNTIL fall lol... an B too for that episode!

leelee

Damn Daniel - Not only didn't Charlie die last night, you had to endure a multitude of flashbacks starring him AND he arrives in a sexual fantasy - Sure, he may die next week, but not until after a couple of hot chicks beat and torture him....but I don't think he's going, He's gonna be Claire's baby-daddy - Maybe he is psychic now and that's why he hit Desmond and to add insult to injury he used "brutha" (jk about the psychic thing) - I almost thought my prediction I wrote last week would come true and Desmond would be the one to go, but thankfully he did not, but is Des going to row back thinking Charlie is dead AND cursing the SOB for not flipping the switch. Rose and Bernard on the other hand have been set up for their demise next week. So that's 2 and Locke - doesn't look good - is he dead - that would be 3 (but still hope not, still praying Richard comes through) - Alex's boyfriend, Karl may be 4 and I think Juliet could be 5 -

This episode was C+ - a lot of Charlie flashbacks - for what - (although we do see Charlie save Sayid's Nadia) - to set us up for his death that was not going to happen - writers knew we thought this -

Now the chicks under water - Dharma initiative survivors? but how come Ben didn't know about this? - Is this a female Atlantis? - Can they get preggers? does it matter

Ben is freaking out AND really becoming irrational - maybe he is 5 - smart move on his part to speed up the attack, but Richard doesn't look too happy, about the sudden change of plans or Locke's apparent death - Think Richard is going to take a little trip to find Locke - hope he saves him.

So if Ben doesn't know about "The Looking Glass", I guess Juliet doesn't, but sorry something about her I don't like or trust - "They already know, Karl, but thanks." Creepy - AND she doesn't need the survivors to leave the island, she needs Ben or maybe Richard for her "Get out of Jail" card - OR is she tired of waiting and hoping and the survivors can help????? The Wizard of Oz (the man behind the curtain) and now Alice in Wonderland (through the looking glass) So this a fantasy? a dream? Still think this is some sort of area like The Bermuda Triangle - people are sucked into this island, the plane crashed, seemingly coming apart upon entering the airspace near/above the island, Rousseau and Desmond both shipwrecked different times and land on this island -

Do we know how the Dharma Initiative came upon this particular island? Is this island magical or did they change something here AND is this still an experiment - Are the true leaders of this Initiative watching and seeing how things play out here - What is real and what is being created?

DHARMA - proper way of living - Dharma sustains all beings. It is implied that everyone has a path that they must follow in order to uphold righteousness and lead to their individual salvation.

NAMASTE - I bow to you.

HANSO - Japanese??? meaning, significance?

This island experience is a spiritual adventure - everyone is finding out their inner self, perhaps not finding/solving conflicts but coming to peace with them -

Naomi telling Charlie (paraphrasing, really bad at memorizing) Look at the bright side, Charlie, at least you're not really dead. to which Charlie gives her a weird look - Is it me or is Naomi not really blown away by all this? I mean if I was sent on a rescue mission, helicopter controls freak out, clouds suddenly appear, I eject (still not sure how you eject/parachute from copter) almost die, find people who are supposed to be dead on strange island with "Others" and more things than I can possibly grasp and comprehend in a short time - I would be flipping out - AND doesn't she and everyone think all of them landing here is not a coincidence?

Jack is telling Kate he loves her, right?

ANSWER THE QUESTION - WHAT'S IT ALL ABOUT?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments