Dead McMahon in Bad Taste?

6/20/2007 5:46 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Death struck twice for the WWE this week, and the real fatality is making the WWE wonder whether the staged one should stay in the script.

WWE fem-fighter "Sensational Sherri" Martel was found dead at her mother's home June 15, and just three days before, chief butt-head Vince McMahon was "killed" in a limo explosion on the "Monday Night RAW" broadcast. Foul play wasn't suspected in Martel's death, but cops have said in reports that the cause wasn't natural.

In light of Martel's real death, we're told there were discussions inside the WWE about abandoning their current "McMahon is Presumed Dead" storyline, with many WWE folks feeling that it was in poor taste.

But c'mon, folks, this is the WWE we're talking about! Not only is McMahon staying dead, the WWE, according to reports, plans to push the storyline even further with the discovery of DNA evidence linking McMahon, his limo driver and a "mysterious third party" to the fictional attack ... all for consumption this Friday on "WWE Smackdown."

That sound you hear is Owen Hart, spinning in his grave.

The WWE had no comment on the situation.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

Jo Jo

What a filthy world professional wrestling is. Imagine dishing out ANY amount of $$$ to watch that crap. Kinda scary that there are that many morons living in the country. I would guess that the average IQ of a wrestling fan is about 12. And I might be being generous.

Taker

I'll be the people who call wrestling fans losers are the same unemployeed people who sit at home all day eating ice cream, getting fat, and watching soaps.

Why is it, a soap can kill any character they want, in any fashion they want, bring them (using a completely different actor/actress) expect everyoen who follows the show to accept it (which they ALWAYS do) but if it happens on a wrestling show (which by the way, lets be real Vince Mcmahon has openly admitted that wrestling is for entertainment and is NOT real) its unacceptable? You people piss and moan about it being fake and yet you piss and moan about a STORYLINE! Pick one. If you cry fould becuase its fake then you have no right to cry foul on any storyline they run, After all its fake right?

I'd love to see anyone who feels wrestling is fake to say that to anyone of the guys/girls who do it as a profession. Talk to the likes of Cris Benoit, or Steve Austin, or Gregory Helms and after they finish telling you about the surgery to heal their broken necks that happened in the ring, then tell them its fake. Sit down and actually watch a match or two and see what they do. The go in your backyard and try to pull off a few moves. If you aren't dead then go tell them they aren't athletes.

I am a wrestling fan. Have been for over 20 years. Sure there are times when you shake your head and wonder, But lets be real. If you just shelled out the money to buy a limo, pay a stunt team to come in and blow it up, pay for the permits to do, pay the city to shut down the area around it while you do it, and the time invested, you run the spot and then a week later someone dies, do you drop the angle and move on? You just write that time and money off as a loss and conitnue about your business? This is why Vince Mcmahon and Donald Trump can build multi-million dollar business and the rest of you spend you time working from week to week bitching about a TV show you probably don't even watch.

But you keep on keeping on with the things you do and say. You generate press and ratings which keeps the business going and allows me to continue to watch and be entertained by some of the things these guys and girls can do.

The rest of you can sit on your fat assesm, eating ice cream watching daytime soaps. I love living in a country where I have the right to watch what I want and you have the right the CHANGE THE DAMN CHANNEL!

JD

Mcmahon didnt die people, it was all staged, hes gonna be back within the next month or so.
And no, wrestling isnt fake, its STAGED.

hhhtaker

Will you give WWE a break? And if ONE MORE PERSON SAYS THAT PEOPLE THAT WATCH IT ARE STUPID, I WILL SCREAM!!!! I have been watching it for 24 years now and I am perfectly intelligent!!! I am proud to say I watch it. The fake death was in bad taste, but come on!!! It is ENTERTAINMENT!!! Vince portrays a CHARACTER!!!! Would anyone blink an eye if this was CSI or something? What is the big deal?!?!?! It is a drama, give it a rest!!!! ACTORS!!! I repeat, they are ACTORS!!!!

Wolfman

Why take this so seriously? Its professional wrestling. Its soap opera for men.

Lost Angel

Reality Check: Wrestling is entertainment television, not a reality show. Yes, Mr. McMahon is "dead", but most of us are aware that it's a storyline, he is not really dead. He will be back, unfortunately, and sooner than we would hope. People "die" on fictional television shows all the time and no one complains that it's tacky.

Sensational Sherri's death is real. A tragic occurrance. Though it is an unfortunate coincidence that the fictional WWE personality's death occurred a few days before the real former WWE personality's death occurred, one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

This is just another argument for my belief that there are too many reality shows on television. People are beginning to be unable to differentiate fact from fiction.

Steven Millan

I've got two things to say here(regarding this tragic case of both the fake death,and the real death)....

1. Vince McMahon's "death" is one of the dumbest things that the WWE has ever done,for it would have been nationwide news(that every media curcuit would have rapidly reported on)if it were actually real,for Vince is only doing this just to hike up buyrates for the next WWE Pay-Per-Views(they being "Vengeance" and "SummerSalam",where I'm sure the Jackass guys[who are goign to be wrestling there]will find a coffin that they'll take to the ring,and open it to reveal Vince inside,with Vince rising out oft he coffin and making one of his goofy facial gesutres as he'll then step out and lay the smackdown upon the jackass guys to the ring mat).

2. "Sensational" Sherri Martel's death is all too sad and tragic(especially since she died so age[at age 49]and the cause is death is ywt to be known),for it marks another wrestling death for many fans(who grew with with wrestling)to reluctantly deal with(since the deaths of Bam Bam Bigelow,Eddie Guerrero,Owen Hart,Brian Pillman,Rick Rude,the Renegade,Road Warrior Hawk,Curt Hennig,Chris Candido,Miss Elizabeth,and the memebers of the Public Enemy tag team are all tragic enough to know about).

sissy

THERES A LOTOF CHILDREN WHO WATCH WRESTLING AND THE WRESTLERS ARE THEIR HEROES..BUT THIS DEAL WITH MCNAHAON SUPPOSEDLY DEAD HAS GONE TO FAR..THIS SI THE MOST SICK THING ..FOR THEM TO DO FOR PUBLICITY..THEY COULD OF DONE ALOT BUT THIS WENT TO FAR..THINK OF THE CHILDREN WHO GOT VERY UPSET OVER THIS..THAT ADMIRED VINCE ETC..AND JUST LIKE THE GIRLS..THIS WRESTLING HAS GOTTEN SO SEXUAL AND GONE TOO FAR AS WELL..THE KIDS AND TEENS ARE THE ONES SPENDING MOST OF THEIR ALLOWANCES ON WWE AND MAKING THE WRESTLERS A LIVING OR THEIR HELPING ..I DONT FEEL CHILDRENA ND TEENS NEED TO SEE THE SEXUAL ASPECT OF THIS AND I DOTN FEEL THE DEATH OR FAKE DEATH OF MCMAHAN WAS NECESSARY
THIS IS ALREADY A MULTI-MILLION DOLLER BUSINESS ..IT SURE DIDNT NEED ALL THAT TO AMKE MORE MONEY

sherble

This whole thing with vince being dead is in really bad taste and i dont think it was even funny.The thing that other people will do to make tha all mighty dollar is really rotten and i dont think it was very smart!!!!!! Can you imagine all of the children that watch the WWE are thinking right now? I know i do because i had to explain to my little one that does watch WWE that this whole thing was made up and to this day she doesnt belive me she still thinks he is dead......

jaice

There is NO ONE In this world that has done or will do more for Wrestling Than VINCENT K. Back off him. Everyone should! He has proven himself time and time again by staying on top of his game. Hmmmmm let's see. No more WCW (partly because TED & TIME ruined it) No more AWA (broadcasting at least, I dont know what the hell is going on over there. They are stuck with the Gagne) Vince is the KING of the sport forever and always. He's Bigger Badder & Much better than anyone has ever been. Give him RESPECT he surely deserve it. Great Job V!
jaice

Poncho!

I have always watched wrestling and really got in to it but is'nt this McMahon thing getting A little out of hand or should I say alot out of hand? I understand that it is all fake and just A big comic book but somone must like it or they would'nt keep having $40.00 ppv lol! They should still straighten out all of that McMahon bull crap though!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poncho!

I know before that I said I like wrestling but it seems that it is getting worse and worse by the week!! I'll probably keep watching it hoping that it will change sooner than later but I still think it is turning in to A big joke! Can somone get this straightend the HELL out!

Poncho!

I know this is A really sad time for wwe wrestling and their fans because of the Chris Benoit tragedy! He was one of my favoriet wrestlers!

Denny

The loudest grave spinning is no dobut coming from Vincent J. McMahon, the man who created the World Wide Wrestling Federation and took the Gentleman's Agreement to the highest level. When the elder McMahon passed on in 1984, the G.A. was thrown into the fire and that was the end of true professional wrestling. In fact, I think it's about high time that anything WWWF-related be severed from the WWE on account of the contrasting reputations. And I can't think of a better owner of the WWWF material than it's most popular champion (twice), Bruno Sammartino.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7