Wrestling Superstar Found Dead

6/25/2007 7:51 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

WWE superstar Chris Benoit, 40, his wife Nancy and young son were found dead in their Atlanta home early this afternoon, this according to WWE.com.

No further details regarding the tragedy have been released. Benoit was scheduled to appear at a pay-per-view event last night ... WWE said that there was a "family emergency" that prevented him from being there.

Benoit, a former World Heavyweight Champ, wreaked havoc with his signature move, the "Crippler Crossface."

The incident comes on the heels of the shocking death of former WWE wrestler "Sensational" Sherri Martel, and the supposed "assassination" of WWE head honcho Vince McMahon. TMZ has learned that the WWE is scrapping all references to the McMahon death storyline on tonight's episode of "Raw.'

According to the official WWE website, tonight's "Raw" will serve as a tribute to the wrestling great.

Police are investigating the incident.

UPDATE: ABC News is reporting that the deaths are being investigated as a possible suicide and double homicide.

Adrian

Like him or hate him I believe he IS the best wrestler of this generation and most respected man too. I know I will miss him. My heart goes out to his families and the WWE.

DAz

He has the look of a speed/meth user. I don't mean to speak ill of the deceased, however; I am wondering if drugs come into play here. What else could have driven ANYONE to do this if it is a murder/suicide?

Dorothy

THIS UNBELIEVABLE..THAT PEOPLE CAN BE SO HEARTLESS AT A TIME LIKE THIS!
I DON'T THINK ANYONE SHOULD JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS ON HOW THIS HAPPEN OR WHY...UNTIL ALL THE FACTS ARE IN!! SO CHILL WITH THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS!

MY DEEPEST SYMPATHY & HEART FELT PRAYERS GO OUT TO THEIR FAMILIES!
BENOIT WAS A GREAT WRESTLER.

nukewife

I think this is just an indication of the society we are living in...A man who loved his wife and son, was admited by the wrestling community, his fans and others. We have had so many wrestling deaths and tragedies..do we not get the message? The pressures on these individuals to perform 360 days a year whether they are sick or injured, too look chiseled, to perform death defying feats. The violent nature of the sport (which we the fans demand more and more of) is hard for them to leave behind in that squared ring. The worst thing is that, as the demands go up for and on these athlethes, so does the supply. And who makes the demands, us the fans...and the promoters contract these human beings who bleed, who hurt, who get injured unrepairably, who take medications to rid themselves of the pain in order to perform, and waive money in their faces, while they become millionaires off of others, and when they no longer can perform, they get discarded like trash. They have no medical or insurance benefits, and have no union to complain to. Everytime I watch something like this happen, I feel oh so guilty for even watching it at their expense. Every ticket we purchase, is a piece of their pain or injury.
Judge Benoit? Please don't...Something horrible must of happened for him to do something of this horrible nature. He loved his wife and child and this profession that left him with broken bones, a horrible neck injury and Lord knows what else. So my question is, who is going to be next?

DAz

CNN-It was confirmed, murder suicide! What a waste of a man, he should of just killed himself. How could he have smothered his own child? He will have a smooth road to hell for this one!

Dorothy

THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE..THAT PEOPLE CAN BE SO HEARTLESS AT A TIME LIKE
THIS!I DON'T THINK ANYONE SHOULD JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS ON HOW THIS
HAPPEN OR WHY...UNTIL ALL THE FACTS ARE IN!! SO CHILL WITH THE
NEGATIVE COMMENTS!

MY DEEPEST SYMPATHY & HEART FELT PRAYERS GO OUT TO THEIR FAMILIES! BENOIT WAS A GREAT WRESTLER.

Dorothy

THIS UNBELIEVABLE..THAT PEOPLE CAN BE SO HEARTLESS AT A TIME LIKE
THIS!I DON'T THINK ANYONE SHOULD JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS ON HOW THIS
HAPPEN OR WHY...UNTIL ALL THE FACTS ARE IN!! SO CHILL WITH THE
NEGATIVE COMMENTS!

MAGGIE

Cecilia (599) - it is too bad the state did not convict and kill him (and I am a liberal!).

tightwad

He did kill them,yet he gets a tribute for 3 fricking hours on WWE.He never deserved that and WWE should be ashamed.Sensational Sherry could have been tributed instead.She never killed anyone!!

JNX

1. Random steroid tests in the WWE - bull**** !! Yes, they got rid off some that got caught. But look who they were, nonames who generate no profit for the company. Look what happened to Orton. Guy went psycho in the hotel room in Europe, got caught with tons of prescription drugs, and was harassing women - no punishment what so ever! I would like to see WWE test Batista, Cena, McMahon himself, Lashley, and other "bodybuilders" like Masters for 'roids. If they punished everyone who is using something illegal, they would probably end up having Murdoch and Funaki headline next WrestleMania.
2. For those who think that wrestling is for rednecks from trailerparks - you're probably right. However WWE is not about wrestling anymore. McMahon and his team are marketing and franchising geniuses. He is running a company, NOT a wrestling promotion. And this is coming from the lifelong wrestling fan with MBA :)
3. As far as Benoit - it really hard to adress this issue for someone who is a wrestling fan and normal human being with emotions. Chris Benoit was, hands down, one of the best wrestlers who laced boots. His commitment, professionalism, WORK ethics, and passion for this business was second to none. On the other side, Chris Benoit, coward who killed his family, is just hard to comprehend. What is important here is to being able to distinguish between these two. It is similar to the Jackson, OJ, and Spector situations. Their contribution to music and sport is tremendous but as a person they discuss me. Personally, I have no clue what to thing about it. I have utmost respect for what Benoit, the wrestler, did in the ring and I am utterly discusted with what he did to his family, especially 7 year old baby. I am anxious to see how the WWE will handle this and whether they will induct him to the hall of fame next year.

Shaunie

I'm A Big Fan of The WWE Have Been For Years, My Heart Goes Out to the Family and friends of the Benoit's , Its So sad all the Death's and Murder's going on, First Lacey Peterson, Now Jessie and her Unborn,and Now this!!!!! Lord Have Mercy!!!!

tightwad

And I fricking do not care if Sensational Sherry has been out of limelight for a long time,the 3 hours should have been hers.Besides,she never killed anyone

fan

FYI NOTHING IS CONFIRMED YET!! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU PEOPLE ON HERE SAYING THE HORRIBLE THINGS YOU ARE SAYING. DO YOU NOT HAVE ANYTHING BETTER TO DO WITH YOUR LIFES THEN TO HATE ON A PERSON AND HIS FAMILY THAT ARE DEAD? YOU ALL MAKE SICK !! HAVE SOME RESPECT FOR HIS FAMILY AND FOR HIS FRIENDS!! I'M NOT SAYING HE DID IT AND I'M NOT SAYING HE DIDN'T DO IT BUT INSTEAD OF DRAGGING HIS NAME AND LEGACY THROUGH THE MUDD WAIT TO GET THE FACTS BEFORE TALKING CRAP ABOUT SOMEONE THAT'S GONE. ASSUMING MAKES AN AZZ OUT OF ALL OF US!! AS A FAN HE WILL BE MISSED. MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO HIS FAMILY IN THERE TIME OF NEED!! RIP CHRIS

meg22

I use to watch this sport when I was young. I use to see McMahon all the time presenting. I do not watch the sport any more, but I was without speach when I saw McMahon limosine on fire. I started to think that maybe it was fake. Since everything they do in this sport is fake, that's why I stop watching.

Regarding the death of Sherri Martel, Benoit and family and the fake death of McMahon, I think that it is all connected. I think that McMahon and Benoit are responsible for what happent to Martel and McMahon had to fake his death and Benoit was left alone with the problem, he losted and kill his wife. Then since he did not want to go to jail and leave his son alone growing up with this dark past, he decided to kill his son. When he kill his son he could not live with himself and decided that it was best to end his life.

The other idea is that all of them are alive and fake their death for ratings.

I also think that they were envolved in someting bad and the police cut them and offer them a deal to cut a biger fish. Maybe they are in an island assuming other names in a witness protection program. Who knows, time will tell.

STEELERSUSEE

I THINK ITS FUNNY ALL THE WRESTLERS LAST NIGHT WAS SAYING WHAT A GREAT PERSON HE WAS....I'M NOT FINDING HIM GUILTY RIGHT NOW, BUT IF HE SMOTHERED HIS SON, THERE WAS NOTHING GOOD ABOUT HIM............I WAS A FORMER FAN!

Previous 15 Comments | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments