Benoit's History of Domestic Violence Exposed

6/26/2007 2:27 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Before her grisly death, Chris Benoit's wife once told a judge that she was, "intimidated by threats of violence" from her 220 lb. husband.

In divorce papers filed in 2003, Nancy Benoit included a petition for protection from domestic abuse against Chris. In the papers, Nancy claimed that Benoit, "lost his temper and threatened to strike the petitioner and cause extensive damage to the home and personal belongings of the parties, including furniture." Nancy added that she was, "in reasonable fear for petitioner's own safety and that of the minor child."

Three months later, Nancy filed to have the divorce papers and the restraining order dismissed. A short time later, a judge granted her wish.

As TMZ first reported, law enforcement sources tell TMZ they believe Benoit strangled his wife on Saturday, smothered his son on Sunday and then hanged himself on Monday.

dw

Hey Jessie # 150...that is the guy i remember seeing telling is story...that was a while back, wasn't it !!

Your'e Fired!

....I spit on your memory!!!! How dare you take your family with you. You Moron!!!!!.....Enjoy Hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BronzedDawn

I have a few questions...why wasnt WWE involved in helping Chris and his family if they knew that he was having mentality/stress problems/marital..such as offering couselling or psychiatric help?

Why would WWE offer a tribute to a man who assisted in the demise of his own family? I could see it if he died in an accidental purpose but a double murder suicide isnt reason to pay tribute to a man who does this.

Lastly ,my deepest sympathies go to the family and extended family in your time of great loss.
May God be with you.

vajayjay rimes

it was steroids

HK

How could anyone do something like this? And to a little boy? He had so much. What a violent, nasty person. This is why I read stories about scatterbrains like Paris. This story is too horrific.

There is a high incidence of spousal abuse among athletes particularly in the most aggressive sports.

my girl Brit Brit

I think that this is all just so senseless. I think it was tacky that theyshowed that tribute last night. I feel for that family.

I also think that the WWE needs to be investigated because I was reading that 85 famous wrestlers have died since 1985 before the age of 65. Something is wrong with that. Sure some of them were car accidents but majority were suspicious. I think they should be montitered like other pro sports for drug abuse and steriod use.

I believe steroids played a huge part in the family's death and most likely the escalating violence.

softballgrl10

I can't understand how things like this happen - and as others have said..if you're that unhappy with things in your life - get help or take yourself and yourself ALONE! Why people that lose hope like this feel that they need to take their life and everyone that's around them. It's truely sick and I'm disgusted. And the world that we live in is so messed up that I've been noticing on various websites that people are talking about putting him in the Wrestling Hall of Fame?? WHAT?!@#? How about we focus on the big picture here? 2 people were murdered at the hands of someone they loved and then he took his own life cuz he's nothing but a coward. It takes a REAL man to admit when you have a problem and you get help for it with the support of your loved ones. You don't kill them.

Scott Butler

Post #143 is hillarious! This woman is ovbiously dillusional. Put the wheels back on the trailer and move somewhere far away...and please don't reproduce.

Angie

Jessie,
Watching Rosanne repeats doesn't qualify you for being unintellectual (laughing), nor does watching wrestling. It's all just entertainment. And should be treated as such.....

Amanda Owen

i don't think chris beniot killed his wife and son. Last night when i was watching the 3 hour tribute to chris beniot last night on Monday Night RAW (WWE), when his fellow wrestleing friends, they all talked about how well of a father he was to his son Daniel, and how a wonderful husband he was to Nancy. Chris was a terrific man, and a wonderful assest to the WWE. I DO NOT believe that he would do something like this. Although this is still under investigation we should wait patientionly until the Cops, CSI, and FBI do their job, until then we shouldn't accuse him.. I know in my heart that Chris didn't do it. You guys have your opinion and i have mine. But for right now i stand for what i think is true.

ST

No one knows what really goes on behind closed doors and that is certainly true in this case. The parties that really knew are all unfortunately dead. How sad and tragic. What makes someone kill their own child, that's really the question I have, a question that won't be answered. Steriods, maybe? Who knows. Jealousy? Adultery? Maybe, but at this point it's all speculation. The only truth is that there is a dead family and that is sad, no matter how you cut it.
May God have mercy on them all.

Justanotherguy

I could be stunned, but I'm not. This just shows the toll steroids if not more drugs take on an individual. I find it very sad for the son, the wife stayed, she is probably more to blame as she put herself and innocent child in that position. Benoit is a coward and is assuredly going to hell, I don't know much about his one time freind Eddy Guerrero but guarantee he and Benoit are probably not in the same place. This is the sick society that we live in, a society that thrives on and promotes violence towards every realm imaginable. Very sad, the WWE needs to take a serious, in-depth look at their roster and figure out if anymore are headed down this path. The one testimonial that struck me odd was Chavo Guerrero's, makes me wonder if there was not something else going on there with the wife? he had after all just been at the house? Too many unanswered questions, who knows if there was a note, if it was maybe staged to look like it was a murder suicide. Were's CSI when you need em. Be good to each other, and it looks like the WWE will be eating some more crow, they should not have went forward with a testimnial like that without knowing the facts.

Nfoley99

It's a very sad day indeed. My son is going to be devestated when he hears the news. But makes me wonder if Vince Mcmahon feels bad about faking his death on the show, when, now in reality, deaths have occured.

fan

There is more to this than what is potrayed.If there was such a problem in there mariage she should have left and could have left, with him being on the road all the time. I realize it is hard to leave an abusive relationship but in this case is on the road more than he is home. So if this is really true why did his close friends see any of this coming [THAT IS NOT DIRRECTING BLAME AT OTHER WRESTLERS THERE IS NO ONE TO BLAME BUT CHRIS IF THIS IS TRUE]. Myself i'm also canadian, i have followed wrestling for alot of years it is sad to see a canadian icon pass . No matter the circumstance, but I just don't understand how he could do that to his son if he "did" .Futher more I send my deepest sympathy to his other to children and the rest of his family. Chris will be truely missed no matter what.

Scott Butler

That is OBVISOUSLY DELUSIONAL!