WWE -- No Killer Zone

6/26/2007 11:32 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

After authorities revealed the grisly details of Chris Benoit's final days, the WWE is changing their tune. In a televised statement, aired just moments ago on Sci Fi Channel's ECW, Vince McMahon made it clear -- they will no longer honor the memory of the murdering wrestler:

"Last night on 'Monday Night Raw,' the WWE presented a special tribute show, recognizing the career of Chris Benoit. However, now some 26 hours later, the facts of this horrific tragedy are now apparent. Therefore, other than my comments, there will be no mention of Mr. Benoit tonight. On the contrary, tonight's show will be dedicated to everyone who has been affected by this terrible incident. This evening marks the first step of the healing process. Tonight, the WWE performers will do what they do better than anyone else in the world -- entertain you."

Mike

First, I am a college educated professional who enjoys Professional Wrestling as a scripted form of entertainment that goes too far at times, but that can be very entertaining when it is at its best. While I never became a true fanatic for any of the wrestlers, Chris Benoit was one of my favorites over the past decade.

Second, there is NO evidence that steroids had anything to do with this tragedy. The WWE has a "Wellness Program" that is designed to help clean up the lifestyles and images of the wrestlers in their programs. Unfortunately, many wrestlers use steroids to either bulk up or to help speed up the recuperative process from the many injuries suffered from the brutal schedule all of these men and women endure. Until the toxicology reports are back from the autopsy, the police do not want to speculate what prompted this unbelievable chain of events.

All of that being said, this was a cowardly act by a man that was obviously emotionally troubled in many ways. Could it be "roid rage"? Yes! Could it be depression? Yes, it could be that too. Could the WWE have done something to prevent this? Possibly. It is possible that, if they had developed their "wellness program" years earlier, it could have prevented Chris Benoit from going down this path, but we will never know this for certain.

In regards to the decision to have the tribute show yesterday and have the statement made today before their live show, I would say that I believe that the WWE (not Vince McMahon, but the corporate organization), made the best of a tough situation. They only had a couple of hours between being informed of the deaths and having to go on the air live with a 3-hour product. At the time, not all of the facts were known. Even to say that the deaths were a murder/suicide did not guarantee that Chris was at fault. Women have been known to carry out murder/suicide plots as well. Chris Benoit was a beloved person by fans and by fellow wrestlers and, without evidence to the contrary, a tribute show was appropriate.

However, with the new facts available 26 hours later, the WWE could have easily ignored the "10,000 pound elephant in the room". They did not. Instead they addressed the situation directly and recognized the pain of others. The WWE has often been known to do things in poor taste. I can relate many examples of the company taking the low road in situation. I do not believe that this is such a case. There is no "high road" in a situation like this. There is only avoiding the "low road"

In my opinion, the WWE did just that - the best they could do. It’s not enough for the people who loved any of the Benoit family, but it is the best they could do.

Davone Hockaday

Ross Webb, ma dude you got high hopes and if it was a setup (which we all in spirt hope ), than I will stop laughing at your comment.

ian

i've been a wrestling fan since i was 6 yrs old. everyone out there even remotely defending Benoit.. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU???? He was a great champion... BUT HE IS A MURDERER!!!

RP

This pretty much eliminates Benoit's Hall of Fame chances!

me

I have seen the effect steroids have on what would normally be considered good people. A person I considered my best friend was on roids when beat the crap out of his wife because she couldnt keep the dog from barking while we watched a football game. I tried to stop him and he ended up breaking my arm and wrist. He then proceeded to kick the dog so hard it died instantly. He is still in jail, where he belongs. So dont tell me you cant believe Benoit did this. Steroids can make you do unimaginable things to those you say you love.

the truth

Sabrina and 5th horseman I agree with you guys. John you are a sick man .What you need to do is stay in your house drink your beer and play with yourself. No one wants to hear crap like that. Well maybe someone as sick as you. What we all need to do is pray for them and the rest of the family.

tony[tlaw]

makes me sick what he done 2 that little boy. y ??????????????

what did he do ???????????????????

so selfish & sorry of him to do that to tht innocent ittle boy!

i hope he roits in HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wildeye16

As a huge Chris Benoit wrestling fan i think that it is ridiculous the way people keep going on about what he had done or all the condolences to him. What about the wife and the son? His wife was a part of wrestling too. Why dont we start think about those who are alive and suffering. Like his other kids knowing that 1 their dad is now dead 2 their dad murdered their step mom and little brother. i think we should all stop crying about what he had done cause no one knows what had happened in the house or in his head and let the wife and the innocent CHILD that both suffered as well as lost their lives for only God knows why rest in peace. cause his wrestling legacy will not bring any of them back.

Jermy

Chavo did it. Okay maybe he didnt kill Benoits family but I still think he had a hand in Eddies death. And by the way Benoit was not 6ft tall. I think his wife, formaly known as woman could have possibly handled her own against him.

Davone Hockaday

Tammie its their job layoff. LA Lawyer you saying all the right things, if I ever need a lawyer I'm calling you.

Tiff

This is so sad.... Vince should not judge him... he's no angel himself...... if he really cared he would try and help these guys who do take roids..... And for vince he just "faked" his own death... sick freak

Jeff

I can't believe some of the wrestling fanboys (and fangirls) who continue to delude themselves that some crazy conspiracy plot has taken place, or offer the "we still don't know everything and we never will" reasoning. The police and district attorney have officially ruled and confirmed that Benoit murdered his wife and son and then killed himself. They wouldn't do that unless the evidence at the crime scene was conclusive. There is not still "lots of investigating to do." The case is ostensibly closed. The results of the autopsies and toxicology reports may offer additional insight into time or manner of death but they're not going to change the ruling. This is not an episode of Murder She Wrote, and nobody is going to be dusting for prints. I do not follow professional wrestling, but I can imagine how difficult it must be for the many people who apparently looked up to this man to have their perceptions about him destroyed. Many people end up disillusioned by their heroes, especially when those heroes are public figures. It doesn't matter what he had "been through," or how difficult or demanding his job was. Those would certainly not be valid excuses if he had lived to face prosecution. The man committed a horrible violent crime, and the fact that he also happened to be a well-like professional wrestler does nothing to change that.

Tiff

Saying that he meant to kill his family is wrong....very possibly he could have killed his wife cause of the roids then he felt bad and didn't want to have himself or child live through that so he killed his son... then himself... he put bibles beside them which means he wants them in a good place

just me

just because they were found in his house dont mean he used them. on april of this year he tested neg on a test 4 them so back of him and let chris R.I.P

amanda

I think the whole situation is terrible! He was a great wrestler/entertainer.I didn't know him or his family personally,but i feel bad for the family's and children left to deal with all of this,people don't realize and don't think about,he was father to not only the one that is died!and his wife as well.he won't be remembered for his career,and how much he shaped wrestling today...he'll me remembered for killing his family,then himself? THE ONLY ONES THAT KNOW'S WHAT HAPPENED ARE GONE NOW! all we have is the police version and everyone's elses.I mean hell...do they know for sure he even did it?Who's to say that weren't all murdered? these days nothing suprises me!! all the weird messages could have been....trying to get help...well even if it is true...that he did it....he was crying about for help...and the person he was sending the text to wasn't listening....someone could have call the police earlier.....well the what if's and accusations are not going to change the facts and placing blame will not bring this family back....my prayers are with the family's all involved.