Avril Ripped for Allegedly Ripping Off "Girlfriend"

7/6/2007 4:06 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Avril Lavigne has gotten herself into a deeply complicated mess, with two '70s songwriters claiming that she stole their song for her hit single "Girlfriend."
Click to hear!
In a lawsuit filed in US District Court in Northern California, songwriters Tommy Dunbar and James Gangwer allege that "Girlfriend" rips off their 1979 song, "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend," originally performed by The Rubinoos, whose previous claim to fame was penning the theme to "Revenge of the Nerds." Veteran music critic Stephen Thomas Erlewine wrote on Billboard.com that "Girlfriend" was "a total lift" from "Boyfriend."
Click to hear!
Lavigne's manager tells the AP that the claim is baseless and that he hired a musicologist to study the two tracks -- and that they've been deemed "completely different songs." Decide for yourself below ...

UPDATE: Tommy Dunbar and James Gangwer, the songwriters who recently brought a legal action against Avril Lavigne and Dr. Luke that claimed that the hit Lavigne/Dr. Luke song "Girlfriend" infringed the copyright in their 1979 song "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend," have issued the following statement: "We are satisfied that any similarities between the two songs resulted from Avril and Luke's use of certain common and widely used lyrics. We therefore completely exonerate Avril and Luke from any wrongdoing of any kind in connection with the claims made by us in our lawsuit."

blah blah blah

hmmmmmmmm
Advril
smells like a winning law suite to me
what were you thinking?

Crystal

Total ripoff in my opinion.

Janice

sounds alike to me too

Tarl

Similiar BEAT, but a different song.

Cabo

They REALLY sound alike. Whether the rip was intentional, that's something I wouldn't know for sure. All i do know is that I felt as if I were listening to the same song.

Bob

The people saying Avril's version is better...

It is the production quality, people! The song is the same.

Charlotte

She is such a loser. She must of thought the original was from the 70's so no one would notice.

I can't stand her. She thinks just because she acts like an immature punk that qualifies her as a punk artist.

lj

listen to the words pepole it really is not the same song!

Charlotte

BTW TMZ is rather slow these days. Most of their information has already been on Perez and X17 for days.

just me

Obviously that is where she got the idea for hers. Sounds very much the same! Who could dispute that?

Smith

"Similar BEAT, but a different song."

Similar lyrics, similar theme, similar style, similar....

The song is a lift. Avril and the company that released the song should have known better. They owe royalties to the original song writers and the person who owns the rights to the song. If pressed Avril and Co. are going to be handing over quite a bit of cash based on the radio play of the song, the profits from the album and profits from the song downloads. Good job Avril.

Dawn

It amazes me how some of you people do not have the ability to think for yourselves! They lyrics are completely different with the exception of the phrase... "Hey you!" Puuuuulllllleeeeaaaaaassseee..... Can no one ever say Hey you again?

The songs are two completely different songs and ANY IDIOT can see that.

I am no Avril fan, but definitely objective and not quick to jump on every hate band wagon that passes me by!

Geesh!

SHE IS GONNA PAY! That is a total lift. I agree that Avril's version is better but that doesn't mean she can just copy it without giving credit!

lance

get on with your life the 70's are over

Paul

Its a ripoff. I hope Avril doesn't spit at us or give us the finger.