To Catch A Predator -- Lights, Camera, Entrapment?

8/8/2007 5:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A high-powered celebrity lawyer representing a doctor accused of being a sexual predator went after "Dateline NBC" yesterday in a California courtroom.

Blair Berk, whose clients include Lindsay Lohan, Mel Gibson and Halle Berry, is currently representing Dr. Maurice Wolin, a prominent oncologist. The doctor was taken down by cops last year as "Dateline" cameras rolled. Prosecutors say Dr. Wolin made plans to have a sexual encounter with someone on the Internet who he thought was a 13-year-old girl. In fact, the person who was IMing Dr. Wolin was self-proclaimed "evil vigilante" Xavier Von Erck, founder of Perverted Justice.

In yesterday's preliminary hearing in Santa Rosa California, Berk grilled a cop whose department worked with Perverted Justice and "Dateline." Berk maintained that Perverted Justice got money for snagging alleged predators and therefore entrapped her client to make a buck. She claimed Perverted Justice illegally recorded conversations with her client and also said the chat logs could not be authenticated. The logs have not been admitted into evidence.

The cop who testified yesterday called the chat logs "extensive" and "extremely incriminating." In one exchange, the doctor allegedly asked to come over to her house, but added, "But you're under 18 and I'm over. We would have to be soo careful."

NBC rented the house that was used for the doctor's alleged sexual liaison.

Xavier Von Erck will testify when the prelim resumes next month. The judge will then decide whether to admit the critical logs into evidence and then determine if Dr. Wolin will stand trial.

westmark

Oh Henry, you've been eating too many candy bars!!!!
You said:
54. "A lot of you must not understand the laws of our country...first off, this man has not yet committed any crime, they have no proof that was him in those internet conversations, and he didn't sexually molest anyone."
Henry, how would he know to go to this house if it weren't HE that was chatting? I don't have any law books to read, but I "hear" that it's against the law to entice a minor for sex on a communications device such as a computer~ If what you say is true, NO-ONE on the show would have been able to get "arrested", and everyone would walk. Do you not think that ANY of these people are aware of the laws that they are attempting to enforce? I think a few lawyers thoroughly researched the laws before they ever filmed the first pervert.

JustinOpinion

Entraped or not, yep, a perv is a perv is a perv. I don't care if it was the POPE on the other end of that computer, the doctor thought he was going to have sex with a 13 year old and THAT'S all that matters. THOSE are the ones that should be locked up and the key thrown away on. They'll never change, no matter what. Having worked in law enforcement and dealt with pedophiles, even they'll tell you that even if they're castrated, chemically or physically, the urge is always there. Now think about it. Either form of castration makes it physically impossible for the perv to do anything about it, but the urge is constantly there, like an itch that can't be scratched. Needless to say, when that happens, then the act turns even more violent, sometimes leading to the death of a child. Lock 'em up, throw away the key. Do society a favor. Those pervs will NEVER be a functioning member of society.

Irene

Well I dont know what happened to my last post, but you people who think Dateline is overstepping are either predators yourselves or just plain stupid.

YOU PEOPLE THINK IT'S RIGHT TO HAVE LURE A CHILD ONLINE TO HAVE SEX???? And then show up with the intention of doing so. Either you dont have children or are just outright pervs yourselves.

Dateline is doing the right thing, it's about time someone is.

omg GROSS

okay this is just sick. SICK. i happen to be a 15 yr old girl and all i know is if something like this happened to me, i would kick someones ass. Guys like this should rot in prison. They are gross and disgusting and just BLEH. I hope he lives in a state where capital punishment is legal.

Eve

I am concerned about two posts I have read here. One from "Spy" and the one from "Todd Lissner". Both of these individuals have negative remarks about the purpose of Perverted Justice and Dateline. Both of these individuals sound to me as if they may be pedophiles. I don't know, what do you think people? I think that anyway, anyhow, by any method to catch these perverts is OK. Entrapment, yes! You put out the "bait" and they hit. If they are not pedophiles then they would not take the bait. Simple. No "normal" human being is going to solicit a minor for sex and travel out of their way for an encounter unless they are a pedophile. It's kind of like being a little "pregnant" or a little "dead". You either are or you aren't and if you think what they are doing to catch these people is wrong then you are obviously on the pedophile side of the fence. No doubt about it.

Parants who care

DATELINE is the greatest program on tv nest to AMERICA'S MOST WANTED. If the show saves one child it has done it's job. These people have been caught with their pants down. Now let put them in jail. I hope this will lead to every state tating the same action.

IT IS WHAT IT IS

LEAVE OUR KIDS ALONE. THEY ARE OUR FUTURE!!! THIS CREATE A LIFE TIME OF DISFUNCTIONAL, DEPRESSED, SUICIDAL ADULTS WHO OTHER WISE HAVE A CHANCE AT A NORMAL FUNCTIONAL LIFE!! PERVERTS!!!!!!!!!

Mel

I get so sick and tired of Lawyers stepping in and butting their noses in business just to get money when they know someone is guilty. If this lawyer has children he should want this pervert off the streets and internet trying to solicit children for sex. I think anyone who perpertrates a crime on a child should immediately be carted off to jail and executed. This is an unforgiveable offense in my book. Dateline didn't force his hands to turn on the computer or his fingers to type his disgusting chat with what he thought was a young teenager, so how in the hell is this entrapment? This also goes to the sister of the lawyer who killed himself after he was revealed by Dateline. America get a grip and start protecting our greatest resources - OUR CHILDREN! My hat is off to Dateline, Chris Hansen and the Perverted Justice crew who takes down these sick perverted jerks.

Ann Norris

Dateline is bringing to light the disgust of some men. Why doesn't the jerk build a loving relationship with his wife and leave CHILDREN alone....yes he is a pervert!!!

tubby

I THINK THOSE WHO CALL CRISS HANSON WRONG OR STUPID IS THOSE WHO GET ONLINE TO HIT ON KIDS AND BECAUSE OF THIS GREAT SHOW ARE KIDS ARE SAFE FROM YOU SO GO SEEK HELP AND I PRAY YOU GET BUSTED ON HIS SHOW THANKYOU CRISS HANSON FOR PROTECTING ARE CHILDREN FROM THESE SICK CRAZY PEOPLE I FELL NOTHIN FOR YOU PERVS MY NEICE WAS RAPED AT 5 BY A 38 YEAR OLD MAN THAT IS SICK SO CRISS GET ALL THOSE FREAKS

bustabutpop

They always want to get off on a technicality

chante

so what if Perverted Justice got paid to snag these sick-os, I mean they deserve to get paid a hell of a lot in my book, would it make any difference into this DR. Pervs case had they caught him for Free, I think we should set up a donation fund to perverted justice so everyone can pitch in and help snag these creeps

Go with the Flow!

THIS PERVERT IS GOING TO BURN IN HELL, BUT FIRST HE WILL BE A BITCH OF ALL
THE INMATES OF THE PRISON HE GOES TO.

Maddy

Innocent until proven guilty? Do you watch this show? These perverts describe in detail what they want to do to their victims. Some of the pervs send pictures of their genitals. They agree to a time and place. They arrive. Guilty.

Doc is a big cry baby. The only guy who was a bigger cry baby was the Rabbi. Those of you defending these men in any way must be in the kiddie chats yourselves.

Linda Chambliss

I THANK THEY ARE DOING A GREAT JOB GETTING THOSE SICKOS OFF THE STREETS THEY ARE SUCKING THE LIFE OUT OF OUR CHILDREN TAKEING THERE LIFE AWAY FROM THEM I AM VERY PROUD OF DATELINE-AND AMERICANS MOST WANTED FOR WHAT THEY DO FOR OUR CHILDREN KEEP IT UP CHRIS HANSON-JOHN WALSH GET THERE SORRY ASS BEFORE THEY GET OUR CHILDREN........