« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

NFL Suspends Vick

8/24/2007 6:48 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell notified Michael Vick today that he is indefinitely suspended without pay from the National Football League, effective immediately.

Following are excerpts from Commissioner Goodell's letter Vick:

Your admitted conduct was not only illegal, but also cruel and reprehensible. Your team, the NFL, and NFL fans have all been hurt by your actions.

Your plea agreement and the plea agreements of your co-defendants also demonstrate your significant involvement in illegal gambling. Even if you personally did not place bets, as you contend, your actions in funding the betting and your association with illegal gambling both violate the terms of your NFL Player Contract and expose you to corrupting influences in derogation of one of the most fundamental responsibilities of an NFL player. You have engaged in conduct detrimental to the welfare of the NFL and have violated the league's Personal Conduct Policy.

I will review the status of your suspension following the conclusion of the legal proceedings. As part of that review, I will take into account a number of factors, including the resolution of any other charges that may be brought against you, whether in Surry County, Virginia, or other jurisdictions, your conduct going forward, the specifics of the sentence imposed by Judge Hudson and any related findings he might make, and the extent to which you are truthful and cooperative with law enforcement and league staff who are investigating these matters.

I have advised the Falcons that, with my decision today, they are no longer prohibited from acting and are now free to assert any claims or remedies available to them under the Collective Bargaining Agreement or your NFL Player Contract.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

noitall

******************* VICK FANS ****************************

ANY OF YOU HEAR THAT LOUD RIPPING NOISE ??????

THAT'S THE SOUND OF VICK'S NFL CONTRACT BEING SHREDDED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"CONDUCT DETRIMENTAL" , BABY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TOLD YA..................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Nacho

If only Johnny Cochran where here!! If the collar don't fit! You must acquits!!!!

Stephanie

Thank goodness there is finally someone in charge who believes in decent behavior. Vick is a disgrace. He doesnt deserve the priviledged lifestyle of the NFL.

msm-atl

AWSOME!!!!!!! Now lets hope it sticks!!!

Wild honey music company

AHHH DA VICK....What a shame...you know how it be!!!

deelicious

YES!!! This makes my DAY!!!! He's not getting off easy because he's in a state where law enforcement isn't star struck!!!

Dixie in Myrtle Beach

Now the Atlanta Falcons need to boot his sorry a$$!!! I hope he never plays football again in the USA!!!

montana girl

Justice is finally coming to Vick. The next thing coming to him should be prison time .Will these greedy people ever learn??
I hope he see`s some of the invisible blood that drips from his hands.

Former Consultant

After re-reading Roger Goodell's letter, I get the impression that Goodell does not believe Vick's plea claims that he did not place bets. Additionally, I sensed in Goodell's letter that he does not want to see Vick play again. Goodell specifically points out that Vick's association with organized gambling violates his NFL contract and its personal conduct policy. Illegal gambling alone could force Goodell to ban Vick for life from footbal, ala Pete Rose. So, if you are a Vick supporter and think Goodell's or the judges ultimate decision is based on race, I have only 2 words for you.....Pete Rose. Bye Bye!!

Sloane

I agree with all of you
I think the NFL had no choice once the word GAMBLING came into the story.
Not that the animal cruelty wasn't enough-but that alone would have maybe not accomplished the same result.
Gambling-no matter what sport (note the basketball ref who is jobless now)
taints sports to the point that it will NEVER be tolerated.

MRS V

LIKE EVERYONE ELSE HAS EXPRESSED, THANK GOD!!! IT JUST AMAZES ME THAT HE HAS THIS MULTI MILLION DOLLAR NFL CONTRACT AND HE WOULD RISK "EVERYTHING" ON A COUPLE OF THOUSAND DOLLAR BETS OVER THE CRUELTY TO THOSE POOR DOGS. NOT ONLY SHOULD THE PUT HIS ASS IN JAIL, BUT THE SHOULD MAKE HIM DO COMMUNITY SERVICE AT THE DOG POUND AND HAVE TO CLEAN UP AND WASH AND CARE FOR ALL THOSE DOGS. WHAT A FOOL. HE GOT WHAT HE DESERVED AS FAR AS THE NFL GOES. I HOPE THE JUDGE LEANS THE SAME WAY. I HOPE YOU ROT IN HELL YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF CRAP!!!

michael

VICK SHOULD BE TREATED LIKE THE DOGS HE HAD KILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sonia

Finally, justice for the poor innocent dogs forced into the fighting rings all over the country and beyond, lets hope that this now makes it almost impossible for this dispicable and deplorable activity to go on in hiding...people should think twice...I am do not feel sorry for Michael Vick and I hope he learns a valuable lesson and part of his sentence is communtiy service cleaning up kennels and caring for the victims of dog fights.

annab

so if he didn't gamble, place bets.......he did it just for the CRUELTY???????

just asking

I use to tell my colleagues that I didn't like Vick because of the times I caught the Atlanta Falcons game he would either be hurt or knowed out Now we know .He was in Virginia killing dogs..

Dumb ass. Now, just sit in a cell and think about what you've done and lost.....