« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Vick: I Found Jesus

8/27/2007 12:41 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Speaking in a quiet, contrite voice, former NFL stud Michael Vick faced the media outside of a hotel in Richmond, VA -- and accepted responsibility for his role in a dogfighting ring.

"I will redeem myself" said Vick, "I have to."

Vick wasn't specific about the acts he was sorry for, but declared, "Dogfighting is a terrible thing. I reject it."

Between apologies to everyone from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank -- to all the kids who used to look up to him, Vick declared that he's found Jesus and has turned his life over to God.

"I was ashamed and totally disappointed in myself, to say the least. I want to apologize to all the young kids out there for my immature acts. What I did was very immature, so that means I need to grow up."

Vick also dropped part of his apology in the third person saying, "I totally ask for forgiveness and understanding as I move forward to be a better Michael Vick the person, not the football player."

During the presser, Vick made it clear several times that he never "pointed the finger" and is prepared to face the consequences of his actions.

After speaking for nearly five minutes, Vick left the podium without taking any questions.

UPDATE: TMZ has learned that the judge has accepted Vick's plea.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Steph

When did he find Jesus? I guess he wasn't aroound when he was killing dogs. What a LOSER!

Diana

Ohhhh, this man tries my patience. This most certainly isn't a race thing but the evil part of my whiteness wants to lash out at him, I'm not going to though. Throwing racial slurs at this guy isn't making the situation any better and it's just stupid. I hope the Lord takes good care of you, Michael. I will pray for you in hopes that God will help you become a better person. You're a sick person for doing what you did but you're a better man for facing up to it.

DirtyMic

very good point johnny D....your apology loses absolutely all credibility when you start referring to yourself in the third person.

lalala

He's only sorry because he got caught!

dw

He apologizes for his 'immature acts'...they are CRIMINAL ACTS you a**hole.

Found Jesus my a**...if he hadn't been busted he would still be doing it.

SAGRLVBR

#28, I just said the same thing... He is only sorry b/c he got caught..... I think God helped him out of a lot of trouble by being caught now before he is on trial for murder.

Torturing animals is the first sign of a serial killer.

Deborah

Trust me folks, he still hasn't gotten it. If he had, Jesus would be forgiving him for being a murderer not "immature".

It is true as Christians we need to forgive in order to be forgiven, but I think I'll wait until a more sincere apology comes about.

Seriously

God forgives you Vick. Keep your head up. Yes, you did use bad judgement. You are going to go through a very hard time for a while, but God will see you through. I hope you saved some of your money, Vick. Since you are pretty much unemployed right now, but God can fix that for you too.

animal lover

I think he should be put in jail for a long time (years) and I think he should be banned from sports altogether for life. (just like pete rose)

Ashe

Facing 5 years on Federal charges and god knows how many at the State level...yeah, I bet this a**hole has found Jesus. I bet he's praying every night. Criminals...they always find Jesus at some point.

Harry Kunt

Does this mean he won't convert to islam in jail ?

Cat

APPOLOGIZING FOR "BEING IMMATURE" HOW ABOUT APPOLOGIZING FOR BEING A COLD BLOODED MURDERER OF INNOCENT ANIMALS.

THE ONLY REASON HE IS SAYING HE'S SORRY IS BECAUSE HE GOT CAUGHT - SO IS THE NEW COP-OUT LINE "I FOUND JESUS"? I GUESS ITS BETTER THAN HEARIONG THAT HE IS "GOING TO RE-HAB" LIKE ALL THE OTHER LOSERS HAVE REPEATED OVER AND OVER FOR THE LAST COUPLE MONTHS.

I STILL DO NOT BELIEVE A WORD THIS MAN SAYS, I HOPE HE GETS EVERYTHING HE DESERVES AND THEN SOME!

SHAME ON YOU MICHAEL VICK FOR BRINGING GOD INTO IT.....

sleeper

This bottom feeder has been tourting animals for a long long time, as his stepfather said ,
" he likes it, that's why he does it." This man is a brutal beast and get's a thrill from hearing animals yelp in pain. He'll never change his self absorbed sick behavior, he'll just hide it better. This man needs to be watched, he's scary and a thug with no remorse. Jesus my ass, his lawyers wrote his speech, very obvious, he's too stupid. His core is ice.

no sympathy here

Found Jesus. So what. I know Atheists who have more respect for animals and can tell the difference between right and wrong. Take some responsibility for your actions and your disgusting choices.

"What I did was very immature, so that means I need to grow up." Thanks for the lesson on immaturity MV. I know 4 year-olds who are better behaved.

Dee

Michael Vick is a loser. Everyone seems to find God when they get caught. I hope he suffers in prison.