ABC Talking Heads:

Owen a Laughing Matter?

9/4/2007 4:08 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Click to return to TMZ.comABC "World News Now" anchors Ryan Owens and Taina Hernandez had a hard time keeping straight faces while reporting the alleged suicide attempt of comic actor Owen Wilson. The on air duo couldn't stop laughing while announcing Wilson's dramatic ordeal.

What had the two chuckleheads so giggly? It turns out that Owens and Hernandez have the maturity of 9-year-olds, and thought that the last name of Wilson's uncle -- Hoe -- was hilarious.

The pair offered an on air apology ... two days later.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

californiadreamer

What a couple of idiots! I truly can't believe imbeciles like these anchors actually get paid to report the news. I know everyone is human, but I don't think many people would laugh while reporting a suicide attempt. Clips like these remind me of why it's great not to have my t.v. plugged in.

californiadreamer

How ironic that Danielle uses the terms "immature and insensitive" and then proceeds to debase and stereotype "Americans" because of the actions of a couple of idiots on the tube. Danielle, you're the one who somes across as immature and insensitive.

Bye the way..."I've never seen a more ridiculous segment in my life.", "No wonder you Americans are so backwards.", "Your immaturity and insensitivity is astounding." are THREE SEPARATE SENTENCES, not one, run-on sentence. Call me immature if you want, Danielle, but if you're going to come on here and make clearly offensive, inflammatory statements, you sure as heck better use damn good grammar. I'm just sayin'. :)

californiadreamer

And yes, I know I mispelled "comes" as "somes". Just keeping you on your toes. ;)

mel

Remember the son "Dirty Laundry"? Every word in that song was true!

Leenie Wilson

Fire them both! Chances are that Owen's family was not watching that report, however, how many families who lost loved ones to suicide were? They weren't just laughing at a name, they took a serious issue that has torn families apart and left them grief stricken for life and laughed at them. I pray they never feel the pain they just caused so many others to feel by their child like behavior.
And if they ever read this, just to let you know, you were laughing alone fools.

So Disgusted

There's a time and place for everything. I've always admired news reporters for the poise and professionalism they display during broadcasts. I'm sure they see all sorts of odd, hysterical material come across their desks on a daily basis. However, you don't usually find them laughing while reporting sensitive subject matter. Their behavior was both unprofessional and insensitive. They even laughed as they apologized (if you can call that an apology). They should be made to issue an on-air apology directly to Owen Wilson and his entire family. COMPLETE IDIOTS!

jimmy.

owen is a good guy--you shouldn't laugh at his pain

stop the madness

anmother sighn of the great times we live in no more perfessoinalism talent or hard work just trash

rg

i laughed too. it is a funny name. and all those ..owen's in my prayers etc.... wake up- there is a war going on, disease and poverty....owen is small potatoes. give the anchors a raise i say and all u so appalled by this, get over yourselves.

Kristin

I am shocked that these people still have their jobs, let alone that they were able to even acquire one. There is Nothing funny about someone else's misfortune or unhappiness. I think this is disgusting. Truly the some of the world is sick.

AutumnOlivia

Anyone can get cracked up over a silly name. However, news anchors and journalists are held to a higher standard. Their job is to report the news without bias and without the giggles. Their position requires them to be professional in front of the cameras, and reporting about a suicide attempt while giggling is UNPROFESSIONAL. I don't think I'll be watching World News Now again.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7