« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Dad: Benoit Was Demented

9/5/2007 10:14 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Click to return to TMZ.comThe father of dead WWE star Chris Benoit says that it might have been the effect of multiple concussions, not steroids, that drove Chris to kill his wife and son and then hang himself.

Michael Benoit told Diane Sawyer on this morning's "Good Morning America" that after the tragedy, he turned over part of his son's brain to Julian Bailes, a neurologist at the Sports Legacy Institute. Tissue analysis, said Bailes, showed that Benoit's brain tissue revealed damage similar to those of Alzheimer's patients, suggesting that he was suffering from a form of dementia, which could have led him to snap.

Benoit's dad told Sawyer that his son suffered "multiple concussions," and Dr. Bailes said that just three could lead to serious consequences. Whatever the case, said Michael Benoit, "The person that did this is not the man we know and love."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Johnny Blaze

Its very sad, hopefully this will close a dark chapter in the life of Chris Benoit.

Mark

So hard on the family.

qwerty

Mr. Benoit is truly a good father. To go the extra effort that he has to find out what was wrong with his son by having his brain examined post-mortem is absolutely astounding. I commend his efforts on his son's behalf and as a concerned parent/grandfather. Many blessings to you, Mr. Benoit........

Ricky Ticky Tock

R.I.P. To Benoit & his Family. I think dude took too many elbows to the cranium and just went haywire(sp?). I didn't know he had nice parents, damn.. That's really horrible and we just forgot all about it it seems.

dw

he looks so sad, it's heartbreaking...

you would think the wwf, and others, would acknowledge and monitor these things...are these guys just 'disposable' commodities?

Lenn K.

For Vince McMann it's always about the money and never about the health of the wrestlers. We knew there was more to the story.

Kathy

I would just like to say that Mr.Benoit is a great man for trying to find out exactly what happened.Me and my husband meet Chris a few years back when Daniel was a baby and he was very nice and answered any questions that we asked him.I would just like to all my best and my prayers are always with his remaining kids and the rest of your family and Nancy's family.

Phil McCrevis

Please spare us the BS!!!

How many people out there have had multiple concussions, taken steroids, and have mental illness and don't go killing their family and themselves?

Scooter

Wow...

I have to stop myself

Can't steroids do this to a brain too?

Jeff

to numbers 5 and 6

concussions come with the job..just like football and any full contact sport..if you dont say your hurting noone is going to baby a 20-30+ yr old man. if you hide your injuries so you dont get forced to rest thats somthing you decided..you choose money over health..and only the person themselves have responsiblility for that..If you read up on the wwe and not just go by whats reported you would know any injured wrestler is given time to heal up and is paid for the time they need to rest..imagine that job security if your hurt..in the years of wrestling wwe has only fired 1 injured wrestler and thats cause the guy was a prick bashign the company from home that was paying for him to heal..the wwe are one of the few wrestling companies who pay you to rest up

Dawn Day

Makes you wonder about others who have gotten multiple concussions! Damn.

Hop Off

Jeff, you're absolutely right. These injuries are part of the job and Chris still made the decision to remain with the WWE.

My heart broke for Michael Benoit. He's trying to make sense of this tragedy, but the fact still remains that Chris Benoit killed himself and his family. I feel sorry for the family he left behind.

dw

wwf, nfl, the 'major' players in any sport sets the bar for these guys,their demands are high...they want to 'win' or be the 'baddest' at any cost..after all, we're talking BIG money here...

mary

A family member of my got alot of concussions while playing high school football. It affected his fine motoer skills and gave him head aches for a yr. The coach could care less "give a 110 percent." One yr after giving up football he couldn't explain why he palyed. He said "looking back I was so into the game, I was really stupid." I remember doing an MRI on a bull rider. His brain looked like a shaken baby"s. I see alot of kids who face a life time of pain because of sports injuries in high school. Last night I did an MRI on a kid's leg. He had alot of soft tissue damage (he was 12).

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments