Patient Claims Dr. Adams Sponged Off Her

11/13/2007 6:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Another patient of Dr. Jan Adams sued him for malpractice, alleging he left a foreign object in her body.

In a lawsuit filed in L.A. County Superior Court, Lori Ufondu claims that in 1996, she underwent breast augmentation by Dr. Adams. In 2003, she underwent revision surgery by another doctor, who discovered that a surgical sponge was left, she claims by Dr. Adams.

Ufondu claims the sponge and its belated removal caused a distortion in her appearance, creating a deformed right nipple, a puncture wound, loss of sensation and "horrific scar tissue."

Following Dr. Adams' surgery, Ufondu claims she was feeling "sharp, needle-like pain in the area of this scar tissue." She says she complained to Dr. Adams, who allegedly responded "by laughing in a derisory fashion, claiming that the pain would subside."

Ufondu obtained a judgment in excess of $100,000. Her lawyer tells TMZ the doctor has not paid, and he's trying to enforce the judgment. Her lawyer adds that there are several outstanding judgments against Dr. Adams, who has ignored his obligation to pay.

amy

This is what women and men get for not doing their homework. Why would anyone go for plastic surgery of any kind and have it performed by someone who is not a board certified plastic surgeon. That would be like going to a gynocologist to have a cavity filled...they are both doctors, but didn't have specialized training

shoebug

Wow, some comments on this are pretty ignorant! I was surprised to find out it's Dr. Jan Adams, he has a show on Discovery Channel called "Before and After Plastic Surgery" - how ironic?! It's very sad that Kanye West's mother died but at the same time, she was a grown intelligent woman, who knows the risk of plastic surgery or any kind of surgery! We don't know the entire story but at the same time, if she was advised to get medical clearance then she should have, did she? We don't know or at least I haven't read anywhere that she has. It looks to be that she was so "caught" up in getting the procedure done that she may have ignored the "little stuff." Let's face it, sometimes we get so caught up on things that we want and we ignore the important things. Our thoughts and prayers goes out to the West family! And before we crucify Dr. J Adams, let's get all the facts first. BTW, his past DUI's has nothing to do with this story unless he was drunk during surgery!

concerned

I can not believe that this is happening. I had surgery with this doctor about two years ago and I had nothing but complications. When I went back to the Surgery Center they had already let him go and refused to give me his information. I searched for him but had no luck finding where he had gone. I had to have my surgery done a second time and I was told that Dr.Adams obvioulsy did not do my surgery correctly. It was a horrible time for me and this is just astonishing to find out.

Courtney

he hosts a plastic surgery show on the discovery health channel...i thought he knew his stuff...guess not...

Debbie

You don't need to pay any money to research a physician.

If you ever need to research a doctor's history, you can do so free of charge by going to that particular states medical board website. You can access any legal complaints against them, their prior education, board certifications, continuing education, etc in a matter of minutes. I'm a registered nurse and I did it for my family. it's definitely worth the time.

noticinghisface

What I don't understand, when I look at his photo - is - How does a cosmetic plastic surgeon go around with this scar across his cheek? Isn't that bad promotion? The scar is enough to make me think of a someone that is a criminal or a voilent person. Why would he not get that cosmetically fix?

Susan

Maybe THIS time the Doc dealth with the wrong person. Hopefully, West will take this man down once and for all and he will not be able to hurt anyone else again. He clearly seems to be into it for the money and cares nothing about his patients. Sloppy, irresponsible work.

Marlb Man

Good one,Da Bomb! Oprah will somehow try to insert herself and her POOR ME!! tour!

katklan

Great, I was wondering when someone would bring up the "race card". where has any news report mentioned this guy being black? Kanye and his mom are black too. What is the significance of that?

Kayla

Damn, the more I read about this thing, the worse I feel for Kanye, his mother, and family.

Rest In Peace Dr. West

Taushadoll

THIS IS THE SAME DR. JAN ADAMS WHO IS SOMETIMES ON "DISCOVERY HEALTH CHANNEL" TALKING ABOUT PLASTIC SURGERY!!!! MY CONDOLENSES TO KANYE AND HIS FAMILY. MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU. LOVE YOU KANYE!!!

the lost

I hope this Chop-Shop Dr. ends up in prison for life. He won't, but that's what he deserves. He's obviously ruined many, many lives and has a way of getting away with it... too bad he didn't work on Britney Spears, lol. At least she'd be getting what she deserves.

Sir Patty

I get the feeling Kanye's next hit is gonna be....THIS GUY!

Hal

Per American Medical Association:
Member: Jan Rudalgo Adams, M.D.
Office Based Practice
11819 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90025
(314) 444-8808
Primary practice: Plastic Surgery
Secondary: General Surgery
Medical School: Ohio State U College of Medicine and Public Health

Hal

This whole thing reminds me of the back-street "doctors" performing abortions in the "old" days. It's sickening.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments