Songwriters to Avril -- You're Off the Hook

1/15/2008 5:55 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Avril LavigneThe guys who accused Avril Lavigne of stealing their song, "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend" for her own "Girlfriend" have relented, and are "satisfied" that any "similarities" are just a big co-inky-dink. That wasn't complicated!

Avril was sued back in July by Tommy Dunbar and James Gangwer for copyright infringement over their 1979 song, which seemed to have a similar chorus. Now, Dunbar and Gangwer have issued the following statement completely renouncing their suit:

"We are satisfied that any similarities between the two songs resulted from Avril and Luke's use of certain common and widely used lyrics. We therefore completely exonerate Avril and Luke from any wrongdoing of any kind in connection with the claims made by us in our lawsuit."

PHilton

COO000oooooolllllllll

I like her music

I watched a 3 legged bear eat at a resturant one time...True Story

Dark Knight

Hey Avril, let's celebrate. You, me, a bottle of champagne and your husband on the sidelines watching. Call me.

Mike

Here, take this check and tell everyone that you let us off the hook for stealing your stuff.

Novel1

I bet if you did some *serious* research, you would find a lot of the same lyrics (uh, same words) used in MOST songs out there. You might as well accuse commenters here of plagerism! We use some of the same words (uh, lyrics)! Are we stealing?

Rudy

I'm with #2 - Avril is HOT HOT HOT and most women wish they could be as sexy and cool as she is!

Too bad her husband is fugly.

What Would Xmas Be Without Warrants Served In Annas Death

You beat me to it, #3.

Hells Kitchen dogwalker

Not a very good song to begin with. I liked Pebbles' "Girlfriend" and Prince's "If I Was Your Girlfriend" way better, both superior songs in every way!

don't you watch TV?

I still think they stole the song. They're just too much alike. She had to have paid them off.

Frank Davis

Satisfied is spelled $$$$$$$$$$ - they were paid off big time.

Jury of Jerry Colonnas

Maniaco

Wow! i wonder how much Avril had to pay up for this statement!

TheLostGirl

She's sooooo over!!!

Adrienne

I thought it was a rip-off, now a pay-off, we the public aren't so stupid.....

Whippet Good

12. Yep. Paid 'em off. They didn't have a case, but it was probably cheaper this way anyhow. Too bad.

Posted at 4:24PM on Jan 15th 2008 by Jury of Jerry Colonnas

Totally agree with that! But it's hardly my favorite Avril song anyway, so who cares.

Squier

Close call Avril....That cat box filler you but out almost cost you some money. Try writing from the heart you cheap sell out !!!!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments