Simon, Theodore, LAWSUIT!!!

1/19/2008 12:12 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The brains behind "Alvin and the Chipmunks" has been had by Capitol Records, at least according to the people he left behind -- and now they've filed suit.
TMZ has obtained a lawsuit filed by Bagdasarian Productions against Capitol, alleging the record company used a number of Chipmunk songs without permission. In 1968, creator Ross Bagdasarian made an agreement with Capitol, allegedly stating that Capitol had the recording rights to the music, but that's basically it.

According to the suit, filed Thursday in L.A. County Superior Court, Bagdasarian Productions claims Capitol effectively pilfered the music by making money in movies and other ventures outside the recording industry.

So why, you ask, did it take the Bagdasarians so long to sue? According to the suit, shortly around the time Ross made the agreement, he moved on and opened a winery. Ross then died suddenly in 1972 and the family didn't even see the agreement until 2007.

The suit seeks Capitol punishment in the form of unspecified damages.

Full disclosure -- TMZ's Harvey Levin went to summer camp with one of Ross' sons, but it was a long time ago.

Documents to follow ...

Phillip

I thought their movie was very adorable and as a man of 38, I loved every scene. My favorite character is Theodore. Very precious. If you haven't seen it, go! It will warm your heart.

SOS

FIRST!!!!!!!!!

Shove first in your peehole....

I think Alvin is about boy-chipmunks.... Not that there is anything wrong with that...

Party 'till you die!

Perhaps the most annoying characters ever put to ink. And they keep resurrecting them! I call shotgun ( and I don't mean the seat).

Party 'till you die!

How old are you princess? 12?

Kelli

Go back to bashing people. Simon is a cutie.

Party 'till you die!

Yup, 12. No doubt. Princess, do your mommy and daddy know you are on this site?

Mimi

What happened to Dave Seville?

Thomas

Ross Bagdasarian went by the name David Seville back in the 60s when he was on shows like Ed Sullivan and others. I checked this all out when I noticed there was no credits for David Seville at the end of the movie. We all knew him as David Seville back in the 60s. His real name was Ross Bagdasarian.

toomanydoggies

The Chipmunks movie was the best picture that I saw this winter. Loved it!

bill

my third grade teacher in palos verdes, ca was jack bagdasar. he said he was brother of the creator of the chipmonks, ross, and had shortened his name to make it easier to pronounce/write, etc. this was in 1950, eight years before ross jr. says the chipmunks were created.

April Fouels

at ellis island, n.y.c., immigrant's last name's were often shortened / changed by the govenment administration.

Pamela Parrish

Well I guess that the limitations had run out for Bagdasarian.. "Sorry pal you lose!" He is sue happy anyhow.. I also hear that he is in a snit with 20th Century Fox and I Tunes! They have GREED written all over them!