Heath Ledger

is Dead

1/22/2008 6:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0122_ledger_ex_1-1TMZ has learned that 2006 Academy Award nominee Heath Ledger has died in NY.

He was found dead in his bed in one of his residences in Soho by his housekeeper at 3:35 PM ET today. Law enforcement sources tell TMZ they believe it was not a crime, adding that prescription pills were found near his body.

According to NYPD a masseuse arrived at Ledger's apartment and was let in by a housekeeper. When Ledger didn't answer his bedroom door, the housekeeper and the masseuse opened it and found him unconscious. They attempted to wake him; when they couldn't, they called 911.

We're told when paramedics responded, the actor was in full cardiac arrest. They attempted to perform CPR on him, but were unsuccessful. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The 28-year-old actor has a two year old daughter with former fiancee Michelle Williams -- they separated in September, 2007. He plays The Joker in the upcoming Batman film, "The Dark Knight" and is perhaps best known for his groundbreaking role as Ennis in "Brokeback Mountain."

We're told Heath had dinner last night with his model girlfriend Gemma Ward.

A REAL Cowboy

Ahh never DID see the movie 'BrokeButt Mounting' cos' I was roundin' up STEERS while 'they' were a roundin' up QUEERS.
Or put another way - REAL cowboys ride the PRAIRIES while some only ride the FAIRIES!
So, you gotta ask yourself just ONE question -
Which 'way' is best for the overall HEALTH and general WELL-BEING of the good Ol' USA?

Marcos

thats just crazy

Dee W

The worst part is that the masseuse wasted 3 calls on Mary Kate Olsen before calling 911, that's 26 mins lost that might have saved him. She's not being held accountable but maybe she should be. What a shame, I am rarely shocked my a celebritie's death but this one took me by surprise. He was a fine actor and a nice person, so sad.

Pattaooch

AFTER LISTENING TO THE INTERVIEW 'HEATH'S UNCLE' GAVE TO PERTH RADIO STATION ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS....SHAME ON NYPD FOR CONTACING TMZ BEFORE THE LEDGER FAMILY. HEATH'S FAMILY LEARNED OF HIS DEATH FROM THE FREAKIN RADIO.. SHAME ON YOU ALL.

CaliMom

I have ben watching this kid for about 9 years now and every performance gets stronger than the last. He was the best real actor for his age in Hollywood. he was in so many movies for someone so young: The Patriot, 10 Things I Hate About You, A Knight's Tale, The Lords of Dogtown, Brokeback Mountain, etc. He is the best on screen today akin to a Daniel Day Lewis in both talent and power. My heart is broken. May he rest in peace.

geoffw/aG

The police don't have any interest in speaking to Mary Kate Olsen? Our little fur troll Bratz doll look alike arranges a quickie crime scene cleanup and nobody wants to talk to her. Its so good to know the NYPD can't be bought....sigh..

Carl

HEATH LEDGER WAS AN ENORMOUS TALENT THE LIKES OF WHICH WE HAVE NOT SEEN IN MANY YEARS. IT IS TREMENDOUSLY SAD THAT HE WILL NO LONGER BE WITH US. HEATH WAS A VERY OLD SOUL, PERHAPS HE HAD BEEN ACTING DURING MANY PAST LIVES.... WHO KNOWS. ONE THING, he had unparalleled depth. It can be a great burden. Perhaps, even though we don't understand it or like the idea, perhaps, his work here was done..... I wish it were not so, you spoke to me. Goodbye Heath, you were a friend.

CubanMichele

I was really shocked to find out about Heath. I'm sorry for his loss. He was a great guy, performer, dad, brother, son and friend. He should always be remembered by all of his great qualities. I will miss him. My heart goes out to his family and most of all his daughter. I can only imagine what she's thinking when she calls for her daddy.

lilla

Heath Ledger was a talented young actor and that's how he should be understood and remembered. His private life was his and of those who were part of it. All the speculations and gossip is really disgraceful. Ledger made his signature in the art of cinema with his unforgettable performances in a variety of roles/characters. That's what should matter and talked about with respect and understanding. Most of the commentaries and the media coverage is nothing but a low level gossip feeding the curiosity of spectacle-hungry viewrs/readers. Very sad and disappointing indeed.

lulu

Hey, real Cowboy, don't you worry oabout Heath's hair style...show yours with your accomplishments. If you don't have any only your hair then it's "bingo absoluto in minus"
remember? it's a web site in memory of the tragic death of Heath Ledger who accomplished a lot in his short life and millions will remember....

wackywabbit

Real Cowboy, you mean unreal. Whether you want to admit it or not, there ARE gay cowboys, homosexuality doesn't stick to certain careers, it is indiscriminating. Or do you think somewhere in that tiny brain of yours that it does. Get a life and a brain, MORON. PS. this actor, person, dad, brother, friend, son is gone, off the planet, no more. Get it. Obviously you have never lost someone close to you or you wouldn't be so cavalier. So pull your head directly out of your butt and have some respect for the dead, fool..

ahotchick

This is sad..

wackywabbit

CAN'T COME UP WITH ANYTHING MORE? MUST BE BECAUSE OF THAT TINY BRAIN YOU HAVE. REPEAT THE SAME LAME DIAHRREA FROM YOUR TINY LITTLE BRAIN...HAHA. I FEEL SORRY FOR YOU, YOU ARE PATHETIC AND I'M SURE YOU LEAVE A LONELY, SAD LITTLE LIFE...SO SAD

Tim K

Man Heath will be missed. It's too bad someone would post something like this www.pleasegodno.com

Good Grief It's misstresses.com

Hey! Mt last comment was written several days ago and I forgot to activate it through my email...Sorry 'bout that!

Previous 15 Comments | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments