Ledger's Death Doesn't Look Like Suicide

1/23/2008 11:07 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Multiple sources in the NYPD tell TMZ, although it's too early to know, it's looking like Heath Ledger's death was accidental and not suicide.

There have been numerous reports suggesting that Ledger took his own life by ingesting a boatload of pills. Contrary to initial reports, the pills that were "scattered" around Ledger's apartment were actually in containers. We're told the containers were not littering the apartment. Rather, some were in the medicine cabinet and some in other rooms. As we reported, one container was on Ledger's nightstand. Cops found sleeping pills and an anti-anxiety drug in the bedroom.

A rep for the family tells TMZ that detectives have been in touch with Ledger's next of kin and the cops told them that so far there is no evidence suggesting suicide. Of course, until the toxicology reports come in, no one knows for sure.

A well-connected source in the NYPD told us this morning the "operating theory" right now within the department is that it was an accidental death, not suicide.

It's unclear if Ledger's health was a factor. As we first reported, he had pneumonia at the time of his death.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Julie

IT really hit me hard to hear about a young, talented, handsome man and Dad of a small child dieing. I have follow things a little and was thinking about it today. I was a drug addict years ago and started having problems sleeping and major anxiety issues. I got clean but the problems with anxiety and not sleeping continued. I finally saw a doc and was put on meds, but you really have to be careful with interaction of different drugs together and i am thinking that is what may have happen to Health. If he was taking over the counter sleep aids and perscipts, the interactions may not have been a good thing. Always check with doc or pharmacist first before mixing different meds. Just my thoughts they may not be right on in this situation, I do not know. But I care that it doesn't happen to others. It is really sad too if he was trying to kick his habits and OD by accident.

Debby

AN AWESOME ACTOR, BRILLANT SMILE, GREAT FATHER,EXPECTIONAL IN EVERYWAY!!! THIS IS HOW I WANT TO REMEMBER HIM AND KNOW ONE (media-newspapers-magazines-ETC) AREN'T GOING TO CONVIENCE ME.

Debby

131.(a) I REALIZED I DIDN'T QUITE FINISH......OOPS!! THEY THE MEDIA, NEWSPAPERS, GOSSIP COLUMNS, MAGAZINES, AREN'T GOING TO CONVIENCE ME THAT HE WAS A DRUG ADDICT!!!! AND IF HE WAS, THAT'S HIS DEMONS, HIS FAMILYS BUSINESS NOT MINE!!!! STILL DOES'T CHANGE ~ HE WAS UPSET ABOUT THE BREAKUP OF HIS RELATIONSHIP(alas, engagement and not seeing Matilda and Michelle)....SIX MONTHS OF LIFE LEFT IS EXTREMELY SAD~PLEASE, PLEASE LET THE POOR MAN RIP!!!!

WhiteFox

Nice one thanks the for the good info

Melissa

When I am feeling anxious and cannot sleep I seek Jesus Christ and pick up my Bible. Not a bottle or two of pills.

sam

Thanks for the news

I'm sick about this--I was watching Good Morning America this morning, and cried. What a shame.

bob

i couldn't care less this douch has all the money in the wolrd and yet died like a junky. that shows money doesn't bring happiness and yet with all that money he could afford the best care in the world for his addiction. what a loser, punk.

Lenn K.

I personally believe that he probably couldn't get to sleep and kept take sleep medication and just took too many and overdosed!! He love his little girl way too much to kill himself. God bless your baby and family!!

kass

I love you heath will miss u i hope i run in to you in our next life

Taffy Titz

BORING!!!!!

OMG

VLAD, your an idiot. Your as bad as the papparazzi. Making Judgement calls before the truth is known. What a pathetic looser you are.

kass

thank you for the vist last night in m dreams .... look so happy...rest my friend

two cents

Vlad, you're an idiot! STFU!

You hav no idea why he died, until the coroner gives his report, which will take months. If he had pnemonia and he took suppressants, he could very well have died accidently, because of the supressed breathing.

R.I.P Heath.
My sincerest condolenses to his family.

WHAT?

This is so sad....he was a great actor who cared so much for a daughter that will sadly not have any memories of her magnificent father who loved her dearly....he always appeared in great films and he was so young and just beginning...you will be missed....thoughts and prayers are with his family....RIP

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments