Jethro's Girlfriend Commits Suicide

1/30/2008 6:51 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The 30-year-old girlfriend of 70-year-old Max Baer, Jethro Bodine of "The Beverly Hillbillies," died Sunday of a self-inflicted gunshot wound in Lake Tahoe, Calif.

According to a sheriff's spokesman, Baer called 9-1-1 at 1:15 PM last Thursday after discovering Chere Rhodes unconscious in a bedroom, suffering from a gunshot wound. She apparently regained consciousness and told deputies she was trying to kill herself. A handwritten suicide note found at the scene confirmed that, cops said.

Rhodes was flown to Renown Regional Medical Center in Reno where she was placed on life-support. Her condition did not improve and she died Sunday after her family requested she be taken off life-support.

No foul play is suspected.

Little known facts -- Baer also dated the late Sharon Tate, and Victoria Principal.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Nicole

To some of you the laguage was not called for. I'm abig fane of Max's and so sorry to hear about the death. It is fine that he wasnot living alone all these years. I hope the public will stand behind Max and be a big domfort for him at this time.

RedFox

Very many thanks for a good work. Nice and useful. Like it!

nun ya

Stand behind him he deserves nothing he killed her it all makes sense just because you see only how big he was back then doesnt mean he is a good guy he was in trouble before for domestic violence read up on his relationship with victoria principal and she was a beautiful person please keep looking for the truth we cannot rest until the truth is out She didnt deserve this we her family dont deserve this find the evidence you need to arrest him and put him away for life. I cant wait for the day i can look him in teh eye at court and say finally chere is at peace!!!

Jolene

Ok i was there two days before Chere shot herself... My uncle just got back from picking her up at the airport... we were all supposed to go eat sushi for my b-day which was the 21st . Chere was too tired to go out to eat with us so she went to her room and my Uncle max, my boyfriend and I went to eat... we came back and everything seemed to be ok... then I left on the 22nd... then i hear about this.... so sad.. and how DARE you even say such a thing that my Uncle would take her life...? from what i hear she tried it in the past with pills but this time took it to another level and shot herself... I feel for everyone i know how it is i lost my fater at age 8 from suicide and I thank GOD that i had Uncle Max to help me get through life... my God Father Max or what i call him Uncle Max would not do such a thing, he is a great person and always a hero in my eyes...

maxsfriend

Jolene, my heart goes out to you & all of Max's family. I'm an old friend. This is the first I heard of Chere's death. I know what a wonderful person Max is & how e must be hurting. I'm going to contact him & give him late condolences. He's always been there for me wwhen I needed a lift. Hopefully I can somehow lift his spirits a little.

zekedog

Dash Riprock -- still dashing at 70.
Who knew?

John Cena fan

He played Jethro Bodine on the show...his last name wasn't Clampett.

Phony Tony

So, TMZ, show us a picture of Max Baer today, ok?

We wanna see Max all grown up!

Adrienne

Can you blame her?

Bill GW Brown

IM FIRST YOU BITCHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZ

NOW LICK MY BUNGHOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phony Tony

Man, that was fast, TMZ!

You guys got speed!

ROFLMAO

First of all, why does EVERY SINGLE comment section on the entire Internet have some idiot whose only comment is "FIRST!"? Who cares if you're first? Do you win a prize, or is this the high point of your day? Secondly, his mustache is crooked.

that.is.all

Wow. Sorry to hear this. Sorry this young woman didn't feel life was worth living. RIP.

Wow again..didn't know Jethro was so old. Ding dang y'all..like that makes me old too.

diane range

Okay..... that's a laugh...... #7 is not exactly first!!! Ha Ha!!

Messa

Am I missing something or did they not give the woman's either first or last name? Who the hell is "Rhodes"?.....Rhodes what?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments