Archuleta Gets DUI -- Daddy Under the Influence

3/26/2008 1:19 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Last night, Simon Cowell lashed out at someone after David Archuleta's performance, and we know who.

A well-placed TMZ spy tells us Simon went after David's dad, Jeff, for the kid's song, "You're the Voice" by John Farnham. Simon said, "I don't think that is you at all and I'd be amazed if you chose the song yourself." Our spy says Simon was blaming the fiasco on daddy dearest, adding, "It's exactly where the gun was being aimed."

As TMZ first reported, Jeff Archuleta is the ultimate nightmare stage dad who was so bad when David was a contestant on "Star Search," he got banned from the lot.

Almost no one even heard of the song David sang. Simon said it sounded like David was singing something at a theme park -- which would make Daddy Jeff a real Dumbo.

Standards are badly needed.

Jeff needs to bow to Simon's expertise here. The idea is to get the boy to the ozone, but then let the ozone people handle song selection, unless it's offensive. Watch his business affairs for him if anything. Simon needs to be careful here, and take it easy, as this is father and son, and the Dad has helped and supported his son from Day One, and loves his boy; and vice versa. You don't minimize the father in the son's eyes, ever. Discuss respectfully and rationally, but convincingly for a win-win.

ANNA

I can't imagine what type of CD that kid would put out anyway.Probalby slow and sappy songs. Nothing I would buy. Now David Cook...that's one I WOULD buy!

Jenny

hi.

Karen

Hey, Number 15: The name of the show is American Idol. We may not be familiar with a rather obscure song that was Number 1 in Australia.

key

This is why they should raise the minimum age for contestants to 18 so they can make decisions for themselves.

Shonathan Hilton

I bet Archuleta kid feels kinda embarrased now that his dad kinda stole his spotlight lol.

www.myspace.com/itsjonabitch

sad day

Daddy Dearist. Jeff Archuleta, ruinging DAVID ARCHULETA. Three chears for the Archuleta's. Be going home soon.

Summer

I love David A! He is so good for only being 17. He is so cute! I
love his smile! I hope he wins!

Fiona

Errr number 48 i work in film and tv.... and it should be basicknowlege to Simon as all data is handed to judges about the songchoices. Simon would have had that info in advance and if he hadn'theard of the song.. I'm sure he has the means to find it out asopposed to thinking it was a theme park song... osbcure fromaustralia... at least David realised which country the whole worlddoesnt revolve around, even if he didnt have a powerful enough tovoice to pull off that song. I suggest you download the original...

sad day

Jeff Archuleta. Busted for DUI!!

I thought MORMON'S don't drink. Is Daddy Dearist losing it?
David Archuleta, you can do this on your own. You can pick your own songs, David. Do it. You need to step it up. You know what you like, now do it, BABY.

Sending LOVE your Way, David

RD

Heart covered "You're the Voice".......I like their version. Poor kid.....

Kaleigh

I really liked the song personally! But David's Dad needs to back off and let his son be! Its David's voice and Not his Dad's so what works for him might not work for David! If i were David i would tell my dad to leave me alone!

Alex

I have to say David Archuleta is one of my favorites on American Idol. I grew up in Australia and loved the song "You're The Voice" by John Farnham. Simon was right. He wasn't so much knocking the song as he was suggesting it wasn't an appropriate song for David. He did an ok job with it, but on the night, David Cook, Kristy Lee Cook, and Michael Johns topped him. It's a hard song to do better than Farnham. But I think overall, David Archuleta is cosistantly good with most of his songs as the best on the night. It just didn't work as well with "You're The Voice."

Stacey

Hahaha this song is the true Aussie anthem. You can be sure to hear it sung at the top of our lungs at 2:00 in the morning at most pubs. Go Johnny Farnham!!

Ryan

The rumor mongering is outrageous. None of you know what is really going on. David loves his dad and wants to use music
to help people. If you can fault him for that, you are out of control.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments