Archuleta Gets DUI -- Daddy Under the Influence

3/26/2008 1:19 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Last night, Simon Cowell lashed out at someone after David Archuleta's performance, and we know who.

A well-placed TMZ spy tells us Simon went after David's dad, Jeff, for the kid's song, "You're the Voice" by John Farnham. Simon said, "I don't think that is you at all and I'd be amazed if you chose the song yourself." Our spy says Simon was blaming the fiasco on daddy dearest, adding, "It's exactly where the gun was being aimed."

As TMZ first reported, Jeff Archuleta is the ultimate nightmare stage dad who was so bad when David was a contestant on "Star Search," he got banned from the lot.

Almost no one even heard of the song David sang. Simon said it sounded like David was singing something at a theme park -- which would make Daddy Jeff a real Dumbo.

Mike

This kid sucks, period. They all suck and everything revolves around that retard with the big forehead who uses other peoples arrangements.

Fiona

The song was a MASSIVE hit in Australia - about 20 years ago! Nice in it's day, got to be sung the right way or it sounds lame, lame, lame. The original singer, John Farnham has a power voice and so caried it off OK. I would consider it Idol suicide if a contestant sang that on Australian Idol where everyone knows the song, let along somewhere where no-one has heard it! Poor kid. Mind you, the words are quite relevant.

Robert

I researched this rumor. It appears to me to be fabricated nonsense. Tonight on the results show David specifically said that HE himself picked the song(was asked by a call in questioner). Also, Idol played a clip of him leaving the stage last night and David looked baffled and said he didn't understand why the judges questioned whether he had picked the song himself. These two things do not line up at all with him being railroaded by his father. When I researched the whole "abusive-controlling father" rumor, on the whole internet at that time there were only three ragmag websites reporting the story and all three referenced one of the other two as their source...and none of them gave SPECIFIC quotes. This kid has character far beyond his years. I like to think his parents might have helped shape that in him...Oh, and in response to an earlier post.....Why would David's dad go to Mexico to "get his mother"???? David's mom is Honduran.

A.P.

I dont think that this is completely what the situation is all about. Take a look at this link below and read the question and comments and see for yourself!

A.P.

David Archuleta and Phillip Daggett are involved in a gay relationship, and if you check out the links you can see for yourself. The song choice had nothing to do with David's dad Jeff, the song he sang has been on the myspace page for Phillip Daggett, a Massachusetts man who it is said that David Archuleta is involved in a gay affair with and the song has been on Phillip's profile since this past weekend, before it ever aired on idol. It looks like TMZ needs to have another chat with their Idol spy because the producers for Idol have already known about this, Simon has known about it as well and that is what the look on Simon's face meant. See for yourself!

link to myspace for phillip dagget

Symon Martin

"YOU'RE THE VOICE" was a great performance by a great singer. Listen to it again on iTunes. I love the song. It is certainly much better than those lousy Idol finale songs - those are theme park material. It is much better than 99% of the songs on the radio by his peers. Think for yourself and just let the kid sing and win! Forget what you hear about Dad - who cares about him. All that matters is David is great and I wish him all the success in the world.

bowlingmom

I guess I don't understand the hoopla over this song. I think we are seeing an effort for spirituality this season. Both Brooke and David have injected this into the competition. While many might not have heard of You're The Voice, I can assure you that many who listen to contemporary Christian music have. Rebecca St. James recorded it and even Heart had a version.

On the other hand, Hallaluiah was not along the same vein, contrary to what some might have thought. .

bowlingmom

I should add something else......

Apparently American Idol is highlighting many of the alumni to showcase their music. It will be interesting to see if they invite Mandisa or Chris Sligh. Mandissa has had 3 huge songs in Contemporary Christian music and Chris just released a song - Empty Me.

Check it out on Itunes....it is an excellent song and since it seems to reflect his experience with American Idol, I doubt they'll have him sing :)

americanidolviewer99

I liked the song but I heard people from Australia were upset at Paula's comments. Well, I liked it and I also liked when Kristy sang God Bless The USA. Even though it's called American Idol, we do bend the rules and let everyone come over here and be on the show, don't we? The contestants from other countries are thrilled and grateful they are on the show but if other
people are going to have a fit whenever someone says something, maybe they should have their own Idol Show.

LOL

Tami - I also remember the song (I know that's going to age me! LOL) - but I also remember it being done by a long time ago by Alan Parsons studio musician (and talented musician in his own right) Chris Thompson..

The song is variously accredited to David Foster, the LRB, and John Farnham but the lyrics are by Thompson and music by Parsons.

If you know Alan Parsons' unique musicial 'signatures', arrangements and engineering, you can clearly hear Parsons' writing and arrangement over top Chris' lyrics.

If you check out Youtube, you'll find a rendition of the collaboration between Chris and Alan (which is the version I first heard all those years ago.)

Chris also recorded that and it's in one of his many albums.

Personally I find the lyrics weak and insipid and oddly out powered by the music and arrangement.

As for Daddy Archuleta - he won't be happy until he's ruined his son and David becomes another Hollyweird statistic. I love David's voice, his innocence, his smile and his unaffected sweetness. What a refreshing change!!

Best regards,

Annika

PS: My 2 cents re: David Cook - the guy has an attitude, his eyes, mannerisms and bearing is ice cold. He strikes me as being an arrogant, self-absorbed jerk.

He might be able to sing, but his attitude is likely to land him in trouble some years down the road.

sad day

TMZ..ASK DAVID ARCHULETA ABOUT PHILLIP DAGGET WHAT A STORY THAT WOULD BE. DAVID ARCHULETAS GAY LOVE FLING.
HE JUST PLAYING HIS FAN'S FOR THE VOTE'S. HE IS BEING COACHED!!!!!!!1
WAKE UP, PEOPLE HE DON'T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT HIS FANS.......

17YR.OLD UTAH FEMALE DAVID KNOW'S WHO I AM.....LOL

musicmom

Don't believe everything you read people!!!! Apparently everyone who knows the Archuletas personally say this is nothing but celebrity gossip. Click on the following link to see what someone associated with the Archuletas and Star Search had to say about this rumor. http://my.nymag.com/JKProductions/comments/

sad day

#65
You hit on the money!!
David sang that soung and it was on phillip Dagget my space page before David performed it. COME ON AMERICAN IDOL. Quite playing favorites with David Arhchuleta.
David Archuleta, is probably the leak. Idol, spy. I wouldn't doubt at all.. Playing Mr. Nice kid.
Talking to his gay fling.. This kid is making me sick!!!!

PAULA

ITS SO HARD TO BELIEVE THAT MOST OF THE PEOPLE DIDNT KNOW THIS SONG.
ITS A GREAT SONG, AND IT WAS REALLY BIG BACK IN THE 90'S WHEN DAVID WAS BORN. GO TO ITUNES DOWNLOAD THE SONG AND YOU'LL SEE HOW GOOD OF A SONG THIS IS, AND HOW WELL HE SOUNDED.
GO DAVID ARCHULETA.. YOU ARE THE BEST,

Sharon

It's amazing how many people would believe ANYTHING these days and how quick to jump to conclusions when it comes to these nasty rumours about David's dad which are FAR

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments