Is There a Levert Curse? Sean Dies While In Jail

3/31/2008 10:48 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

How much tragedy can one family take?? Another Levert has died -- and this one was in jail!

Sean Levert, son of O'Jays singer Eddie Levert and brother of late R&B legend Gerald Levert, died over the weekend while in a Cleveland jail.

Levert had reportedly been in the Cuyahoga County Jail serving time for failing to pay roughly $80,000 in child support when he collapsed late last night. The warden of the jail tells TMZ that after Sean collapsed, he was immediately rushed to the hospital. He says Sean died at the hospital, not the jail as others have reported.

The warden says that they were unaware of any condition Sean may have been suffering from. The Coroner confirms they have received his body and are currently investigating the cause of death.

Sean, who as member of the 80s group Levert, hit it big with the song "Casanova." He was also featured in a few movies, including "New Jack City." His brother Gerald died in his sleep in November 2006.

monique

#7, what a cruel thing to say. Sean probably died of a heart attack or stroke brought on by stress and the fact that he was overweight. Either way, the children wont' receive the back child support and will likely struggle as they continue to grow up. It is a sad situation for everyone involved. Let me say this - If you don't want children with someone, protect yourself.

B4Real

Sean made the mistake of paying the money directly instead of through the system where he would receive credit. His offspring wanted for nothing and he was active their life. Now they have nothing but proceeds from the death and a loss of a father that was involved and present.

I wouldn't be surprised if he had committed suicide. In fact, I'm suspecting it. Mourning his brother's death, trying to make a come-back with a completed album and then the setback of the negative publicity of being in a jail that would postpone the promotion and tour would be enough to send a person into the next life.

I pray for the people who have made the negative comments without knowing the whole story. Just keep on living. Everybody experiences a dark season.

antoinette

i feel sorry for the kids and the parents. no one deserves to die no matter how it happens, but for betty grable you are so wrong for even having the nerve to write something so stupid. you must not have a life or heart for the things you said. it's people like you that deserve to be in jail. child support is a major issue out here, but losing a loved one is even major. i hope for betty grable that some day someone knock on your door and smack you in the face for a reality check.... for the levert family i send u blessings and a lot of love for being very strong throughout this triumphant time..

antoinette

M

Whether Sean was a dead beat dad or not it has nothing to do with him dying. You people that are writing these comments as if this guy did something to you, don't take it personal. Apparently you have some issues in your life, you need to seek the Kingdom of Heaven and find Jesus Christ because your heart or your mouth wouldn't have such anger for someone that wasn't your father matter of fact any kin to you. If you need some assistance call on the Name of JESUS!!!!!!

RIP Sean!!!!

Nisha

Just because a man does not financially support his children does not mean they deserve to die or they are better off dead. Some of the comments you people make are stupid.

TAMTAM

This is so sad. These children have lost their father and their uncle and no amount of money can bring them back. Have a heart. Those without sin cast the first stone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stanley M

I have been paying support since 2002 on a baby that I found out was not mine well see it is five and a half years later. I can't get that money back if the child that I thought was mine had passed at any time I would not have said I am better off so I don't have to pay. People think about the things you say and the things you do. Sean Levert was not your babbies daddy he was a son brother and a father plus a singer just leave it at that and say a prayer. The O'Jays may never sing again think about that one that would be deep. Eddies heart I am sure is broken.

MD in ATL

I'll bet the children don't thing they are better off with their father gone. Take it from a person who lost her father when she 5 years old. I also know the problems associated with a father not paying child support. I raised two girls who couldn't get a dime no matter how hard I tried. Still, if you were to ask them if they want their father dead, the answer would still be NO.... RIP Sean.

Ms. Terri Allgood

I send my condolences to the family. it is never easy loosing a loved one. If any of you are reading this "GOD be with you and heal your hearts. No one knows the time or place when our number will be called. Keep your head up and ignore all negative comments. Miss you all.
We should not judge others by mistakes, but pray and be humlbe because it could happen to us or our family and friends.

sunshine76

Most importantly someone has died, he was a human. Just because he was in jail for child support does not mean he did not support his child, it could be an error. My husband pays child support every month, I know this because I see his check stubs. My stepson's mother moved to another state and filed for child support as if she was not currently recieving it. The state he is currently paying in and has been for 9 years (my step son is 10) sends him rebate checks for every month he is paid 3 times. The state she filed in last year said he was in $15,000.00 in arrears. They took his income tax return and threatened to have him arrested, and he does not owe. It is a mistake that is taking a long to resovle. Before you judge someone, know all of the facts. How would you feel if it was one of your relatives and someone would say all these rude and disgarceful things about them. May prayers are with the family, may God shed blessings on this family.

PISSED OFF 2

HOW DARE YOU BETTY GRABLE AND ANYBODY WHO FEELS THE WAY SHE DOES. YOU NEED JESUS. WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE ANYBODY. HOW ABOUT SHOWING SOME COMPASSION FOR THE FAMILY AND HIS CHILDREN. THEY HAVE LOST THEIR FATHER -- REGARDLESS OF CHILD SUPPORT ISSUES -- YOU NEED TO GET DOWN ON YOUR KNEES AND ASK THE LORD TO FORGIVE YOU...

Paulie Wants a Cracker

My heart goes out to the family.
I don't think it's a curse, I think it's a weight problem. I think both him and his brother died to being over weight. People get fit, get it together. On the other hand, he was seriously behind in child support which is a big no no. I'm sick of men not paying child support. When does it become ok for a man to think he doesn't have to take care of his kids? I think it's a sin for a man to not pay child support. I would go to jail if I just stopped taking care of my kids, it's called neglect. I just can't decide one day to not support my children but a man can say I'm not paying and walk away. It's not nice, it's not right.

single parent

People fail to realize that even though he was and actor in a movie that played a small part and singer he might not have made that much money. The question is how much of that is back child support. Regardless of the situtation, his kids will always be taken care of whether he does it or not.

Stupid People

It is amazing how some people can be so stupid in their comments, the guy could have been giving the mom money under the table for the kid or kids, you don't know this man's business. This is just an easier way to fill the jails up for back childsupport. My heart goes out to Mr. Levert for his loss.

jennawolf

Most of all I feel sorry for Eddie and Martha, It's a sad day. The family is in my prayers and may he always be with his brother.