Moses To Heston: Hey Lil' Buddy!

4/6/2008 8:59 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Legendary actor Charlton Heston, who uttered the best line in a movie ever -- "Take your stinking paws off of me you damn dirty ape!!" -- died at his Beverly Hills home last night at the age of 84.

The actor, who as head of the NRA once said you would have to pry a rifle from his "cold, dead hands," died with his wife Lydia at his side. He had been battling Alzheimer's.

Billy Bob

Ahhh, screw that crazy gun nut. He wasn't actually Moses and was only in about 3 good movies.

Liz

I knew there were some strange people in this world but, I didn't realize just how many SICK people there were until I read some of the post!

I call Shotgun

Too bad it wasn't George Clooney who said that Chuck got what he deserved (getting Alsheimers) since he was a member of the NRA. LET MY PEOPLE GO! Miss you already, MR. Heston.....

Mr. Hat

He's paying his dues now.

Mr. Hat

I'm sorry about the Alzheimer's . I know what it's like to deal with that.

But that does not excuse his love and ignorance of the danger of guns.

katie

He is one of the last great actors, he will be missed tremendously by his fans, but what a legacy he has left.
RIP KIND SIR

Mr. Hat

Zman,

Why exactly do we need them?

Kendall

Another big hole left in our world. He had decernment that went
beyond the common person. Had is lifes direction taken him to the
White House, I would have whole heartedly supported him as would ANY
intellegent American. To his wife and family I say, Thank you for
sharing with us such a great soul.

nancydup

Look. I know that later in life he had very conservative views, but don't forget that this man is an acting legend. Shame on TMZ for focusing on one movie and just his views on guns. This man marched in the Civil Rights movement, won an academy award, and was President of the Screen Actor's Guild and Chairman of the American Film Institute. TMZ, I love ya, but you did him wrong with this little article. Next time, balance the "bad" with the good someone has done.

Area 51

"Andy", the real danger of guns comes about when violent criminals have them (which they always will) and the rest of us don't. Places like Virginia Tech and Columbine were playgrounds for psychos because they knew there was little chance of anyone else being armed in these 'gun-free zones'.

Jingabella

He did not "love" guns, he believed in the right to bear arms, And I really don't think it's appropriate to make this a forum about gun control. He had as much right to express his beliefs as you do yours, he also didn't merely talk the talk he walked the walk, unlike most celebrities-he never wavered from his beliefs and morals. An all around great man, my condolences to his family.

ANNIESEZ

CHARLES, YOU SHOULD BE A MODEL FOR ALL THE CRAZIES IN HOLLYWOOD - IMAGINE 64 YRS MARRIED! A FAMILY MAN WHO PUT THEM AND HIS COUNTRY FIRST! GOES TO SHOW ALL THOSE CRAZIES THAT YOU CAN BE A GREAT ACTOR AND STILL HAVE GOOD MORALS AND SENSE OF RESPONSIBILITY - BEING AN ACTOR DID NOT CHANGE YOU TO WHAT WE HAVE TODAY - HAVE LOVED YOU, WATCHED YOUR MOVIES OVER AND OVER AGAIN, GOD BLESS YOU AND REST IN PEACE -

demented and sad but social

Get the quote correct because it is the best quote EVER: he does not say "off of"; it is just "off me you damn dirty ape."

sfcubster

"Moses to Heston: Hey Lil' Buddy!"... Yeah, but - what is Moses doing in HELL?

Twinker

My sister worked for a US Senator back in the late 1980's/early 1990's and Charlton was a good friend of this particular senator. My sister met Mr. Heston a couple of times and said he was an arrogant, selfish person and rude to the max. But when he was "on stage" he transformed into "Mr. NIce Old Hollywood Star". Sheesh

My favorite reminder of Mr. Heston is when Phil Hartman played Charlton taping a reading Madonna's Sex Book for a parody of "Books on Tape" on Saturday Night Live.....