Wesley Gets Three Years!!!

4/24/2008 6:53 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Wesley SnipesA judge has just sentenced Wesley Snipes to three years in prison for tax evasion. Forget black -- always bet on the U.S. government!

Snipes was not forced to surrender immediately. Instead, the judge ruled he could surrender at a later date, closer to his New Jersey home.

Nathan J. Hochman, Assistant Attorney General of the Justice Department's Tax Division, said, "Snipes' long prison sentence should send a loud and crystal clear message to all tax defiers that if they engage in similar tax defier conduct, they face joining him and his co-defendants ... as inmates in prison."

Snipes was convicted in February on three misdemeanor charges for not filing his taxes. The government claimed he owed $2.7 mil -- but Snipes' attorneys argued it was just $228,000. No fine was imposed, but the three-year sentence was the max he could have gotten.

Celebrity friends Denzel Washington and Woody Harrelson wrote letters in his defense to appeal for leniency. Oh well ...

Morgan

I don't care WHO YOU ARE, pay your taxes and you won't go to the PEN! So shut up #36. You don't pay your taxes you will go to jail too! I don't pay I go too!

kim

He did commit a crime but since non violent I would think the judge would slap him with huge fine, community service and probation not 3 yrs jail time. Our prisons are so overcrowded already but he did commit a crime and thats what you have to be prepared to face if you commit crimes.

And #14 Martha Stewart, Leoni Helmsley and the list goes on. WAY more caucasians have been incarcerated for tax fraud than ANY other race - FACT.

Has nothing to do with his race - he commited a crime period.

kashmir

Natty P - I agree - but remember, the government cares more about collecting taxes than drunk drivers, murders, etc. simply because, if everybody started refusing to pay, the system would collapse.

LAME

Leona Hemsley comes to mind as a "white" tax evader who did jail time.

And all you calling unfair sentence comparing this with Lindsey, Paris, etc.. This is the difference between local government driving infractions vs FEDERAL CRIME kids!!!

Can you say F E D E R A L??? I think ya can!!!

bren

you ain't in califory anymore movie star!!!

jen

haha jerk

heather

That is so uncool.....I agree with #12, he should have been fined and put on probation. Other stars have done much worse and only received a slap on the hand. He surrendered himself that should account for something--he obviously wanted to fight the charges not run away from it.

Brattus Rattus

It is the same scale - fraud. Greed. Knowingly breaking the law. Saying F. You to the public and the Feds.

I make about $80k a year. HALF is paid in taxes. Person W makes $4 million and pays nothing or very little - committing fraud. I'm not in jail or going to jail. Person W gets time. Seems fair to me.

Enron screwed the American public. They committed fraud and they went to jail - or died of heart attacks. Again seems fair.

If everyone does what they want, come back to me and we'll talk about the scale of things.

As far as the Paris Hilton's and other idiots that did 10 seconds for their drinking/drug issues, VOTE and maybe that will change.

Martha Stewart and Keifer Sutherland served ALL of their time. They did the crime and are doing thier time.

Ashlyn83

I'm so sick of black people calling it racist everytime one of their own goes to jail for something they deserved. If it's against the law, don't do it. Then you don't go to jail. Pretty simple huh?

Rae

That's hideous. There are people out there endangering lives, and committing crimes against humanity, including murder, who are sentenced to less.

CTS

good actor. He should have gotten attorney`s like OJ to get him off. The prisons are full of actors, sports figures and politicians who think they are above the law. The USA should have a fair tax and abolish the IRS.

Dog The Bounty Hunter Sucks

Hello Wesley! Can't wait to penetrate you at the penetentiary.,

Rat

It figures all the blacks supports the felon Snipes!

Anti-Society

Well, there goes my hopes for a change in the system. Looks like the government will continue to rape us all for a long time.

Have fun paying taxes on your tax rebates, income, property, sales, food, services, inheritance, winnings, and whatever else they can get their fingers in.

I was hoping Snipes would get away with this and possibly set a precedence for the rest of us. Oh well.

judy

I have to pay my taxes for my little income compared to his and we are at WAR and every cent counts if you want freedom. He knows taxes are expected from him like everyone else!!!