Donda West Pushes Bills from Beyond

5/27/2008 7:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Donda West's death after plastic surgery is spurring lawmakers to make big changes -- or at least try -- to protect people who are going under the knife, including one bill named' after Kanye's mama.

Yolanda Anderson, niece of Donda and cousin of Kanye, along with Calif. Assemblywoman Wilmer Amina Carter, introduced a bill into the Cali legislature that would require patients to receive a physical exam before plastic surgery. Anderson tells the L.A. Times that Dr. Jan Adams didn't give her aunt a physical exam, though a rep for Adams insists he "thoroughly questioned" West before the procedure.

Other bills inspired by Donda's death are currently in state legislatures in Florida and Canada, amongst others.

"Sex"-Deprived Chick Loses Big

A Singapore woman laid out $22K to get close to "Sex" but was left with anything but.

Ella Sherman tells the New York Post that she came all the way from Asia to attend tonight's big Manhattan premiere at a cost of thousands – but got duped by a fledgling travel firm. For all that coin, Ella was supposed to get five nights' hotel, shopping sprees, and a ticket to the after-party.

And now she's been left begging ... for a ticket to the premiere.

Fergie Snaps Back at Bea's Snipers

Now, another story about Fergie and asses.

But this one's about the O.G. Fergie –- the ex-Duchess of York, that is – and her daughter, Princess Beatrice. Not unlike TMZ's Love Hewitt-gate, a couple of Brit journos are taking heat from Sarah Ferguson for picking on Bea's butt, which was spotted hanging out of a bikini in the Caribbean. "Touch me, fine, but don't touch my children," said Fergs.

The ex-royal knows from being teased about her weight: She was called "The Duchess of Pork" back in the day.

Party Favors: The Pimping of Jo by Slade Begins ... Victoria's Got a Secret Plan to Slam Sexy

Jo De La Rosa will be living in her ex-fiance Slade Smiley's house to help find a guy, and she tells the New York Daily News that "the new show brings me back down to really what's in my life." But, as she herself puts it, "It's not to be taken seriously." ... Victoria's Secret commissioned a study to try to convince a Manhattan judge that Sexy Hair concepts is infringing on its various trademarks, including the phrase "So Sexy."

Kay

Are we supposed to feel sorry for some idiot who paid $22,000 to rub up against some movie stars? Bring out the violins.

Baseball Junkie

I wish I believed the plastic surgery bills would do any good. Every time there's any kind of tragedy, the politicians come out and pass bills to try and keep it from happening again and it never does anything. Have any of the gun bills stopped someone from getting a gun if they really want one? Has Megan's bill stopped girls from getting kidnapped, raped and murdered? No. Ethical surgeons already give their patients checkups and unethical ones never will. And people who want plastic surgery are going to get it whether it's good for them or not. If one doctor says no they'll just keep looking for one who says yes.
I have to agree with Fergie. Beatrice is a celebrity through an accident of birth, not by desire. She has never done anything to try to bring herself into the public eye and she should be left alone.

Go Sox

Respect the Dead

Since any invasive surgery carries risk - especially if one is to be under general anesthesia, I just assumed that even for elective surgeries, that a full physical was required in order to avoid situations like Dr. West's. If that is not mandatory, it should be, so I certainly hope the bill passes.

800 pound gorilla fart

Yeah . I've heard of the bill Its called the " I'm too arrogant to listen to reason and want to ignore advice and still get plastic surgery " bill . Dlckhead. I heard voting will be right after the bill for " I want to move back to New Orleans and ignore leaking dams and storm threats and still be compensated when I get drownded " . Dlckhead.

Nicole

DONDA WEST KNEW THE RISKS BUT THOUGHT MONEY WAS ENOUGH - SHE MADE AN UNWISE DECISION TO HAVE SURGERY.

Liz

My understanding is that Ms. West had gone to another plastic surgeon who had refused to do the surgery due to her health! Like Baseball Junkie stated, people will continue to doctor shop until one agrees to do the surgery.

Beatrice should be left alone! Adults can handle negative comments about themselves much easier than children.

Who in their right mind would spend 22K to go to a movie premier just so they can rub elbows with celebs?

Kelli

Yes Dallas, believe that is correct. She had been turned down by another Dr., Ultimately the individual makes the decision and sometimes it is the wrong one...all in the name of vanity.

I hope Fergie can get the cameras to leave her daughter alone, that is sooo wrong.

Hi BJ!!

pattie in cali

you go FERGIE, we love ya here, i have been watching for a long time, i thought you and DIANA were the best thing that ever happened to england, we still love ya, your looking great, MANY BLESSINGS

Ayanna52

As a patient of Dr. Adams I find it highly implausible Mrs. West was not given an exam as stated in the LA Times article. When I visited Dr. Adams office I had to complete a very detailed questionaire. Dr. Adams himself also questioned me very throughly. I felt as if I was undergoing some sort of inquisition. Information was even requested regarding my grandparents. Fortunately for me I knew what the cause of death was for all four. My parents health was also questioned. After my initial appointment I was sent to a local lab for lab work to be sent back to California to his office. I believe this was in part due to a medical condition I discussed with him prior to my surgery. Yes I told him all. I was taught there are certain people you never lie (including omission) to, my mom, my religious advisor, my attorney and of course my physician. When my surgery date was near and his office had not received my lab results his office followed up with me to get the results from my local lab. Dr.Adams scheduled after care appointments which I kept all. I traveled from out of state for him to perform my surgery. I was an informed patient, I did my research before chosing him as my surgeon. I knew about the malpractice suits. I also saw patients in his waiting room go outside to smoke. As far as I know one does not do post surgery. I will say that when I'm ready I will again chose Dr. Adams as my surgeon. I've had good results.

rachel

If you are stupid enough to like sex and the city
you deserved to get had

whateveryousay

God, I'd rather watch Jo de la Rosa, than J. Ho.

Cheryl

RIP DONDA WEST! IT JUST SHOWS YOU WHAT HAPPENED. IF THAT DOCTOR WASN'T ON OPRAH, SHE PROBABLY WOULDN'T OF CHOSE HIM! & NOW OPRAH IS BACKING OBAMA & WE ALL KNOW ABOUT OBAMA'S FRIENDS.. SO WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU? I DONT TRUST ANYTHING OPRAH DOES AT ALL & THATS WHY I QUIT WATCHING HER TALK SHOW YEARS AGO!!