F***, George Carlin's Dead

6/23/2008 2:16 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

George CarlinBust out those seven words, it's time for a tribute. Legendary comedian George Carlin has died.

The 71-year-old Carlin died around 6:00 PM PT this evening at an L.A. hospital after being admitted earlier in the afternoon for chest pains.

A battle over his comedy -- namely his "Filthy Words" routine -- went all the way to the Supreme Court.

Martin

I am really saddened to hear this, For someone who gave me so many laughs I will miss him, he was a great comedian. My condolesence to his family and at the same time I would like to thank the good Lord for sharing him with us for so many years.

Me, myself and I

I never appreciated his sense of humor. I just thought he was gross. I never got his "point" of using curse words in his routines. I was brought up to make others feel comfortable around me, and have never cursed around anyone. My deceased Dad always told me that only people with very limited vocabularies curse. My Mom wouldn't let any of her daughters take the Lord's name in vain. The only curse that I have ever uttered is: Darn it!

I'm a person who is truly offended by curse words. George Carlin is clearly not my cup of tea.

Steph

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! HE IS MY FAVORITE COMEDIAN EVER!! I WAS SURE HE WOULD MAKE IT TIL HIS 90S....WOW...NO MORE STAND UP FROM CARLIN?!?!!?

NOW WE WONT BE ABLE TO HEAR HIS JOKES ON THIS ELECTION! RIP MR.CARLIN.YOU ARE A ~TRUE~ LEGEND AND I WILL MISS YOU AND I AM GOING TO RENT ALL YOUR LIVE STAND UP SHOWS TOMM AND HAVE A CARLIN NIGHT IN YOUR MEMORY! R.I.P!

helas

A true legend. There was no one else like him. I am so sad...a truly original, brave, decent and insightful comic icon is with us no more. God Bless you George, and thank you...

JeffreyInMalibu

George, you will surely be missed! You left us WAY too soon! We need you now more than ever with all the craziness going on! Who will save us from the sobriety of this Bush Administration? At least we know that you are up there still poking fun of everything down here. Rest in peace and please keep an eye on us all. NO ONE is funnier than you!

jimmyvelvet

Can’t take “stuff” with you—rest easy funny man.

glynne1964

#$@%~!!!

I used several of the words from his famous list when I read this. Sure gonna miss ya George!!!

Kelli

George made us laugh, even if we wern't suppose to. Yes he was vulgar but if you could hear past that, he was a great guy and American.

Joanne

My condolences to his wife and daughter.

Pablo

Whoever wrote the tag "Headlining in Heaven" was obviously not a Carlin fan.

Frank Zappa and George Carlin were the 2 most brilliant observers of the American condition. We lost more than laughs. We lost a voice.

Cabo

This is SO incredibly sad; he will be truly missed. His contributions and his work will live on. My deepest sympathies to his family, friends, and all of his fans. R.I.P., George.

Clint Bradford

PLEASE find a copy and post it here of Carlin doing the "Hippy Dippy Weatherman" LINE on NBC TV 4 in Los Angeles back in the 70s. Kelly Lange was on the set...Was it Tom Snyder as anchor? The bit was so hilarious that the camera/cameraman was shaking in honest fits of laughter.

becky

so if he died how come i have not seen it on any other site???

Troy

I wonder if he thinks there is a god now...

crznmy66

Oh, so sad :o( Absolutely the funniest guy ever...I loved his views on life, people, and the presentation of it! **** you George - we're gonna miss you!!!!