Ex-Worker -- Mouse Wanted Junk in My Trunk!

7/18/2008 9:33 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A guy who brought a gun to work at Disney World -- and who wouldn't? -- claims he got canned because he wouldn't let the Mouse all up in the backside -- of his car.

Edwin Sotomayor says in a Florida lawsuit that he showed up for work on July 4 with a handgun locked in his trunk and Disney peeps wanted to check it out. When he refused, citing a new Florida law allowing people to keep weapons in their car while at work, Edwin says he was suspended and then fired three days later.

Disney says they're exempt from the law and they have a "zero-tolerance" for firearms in the workplace.

ivegoneblindfromwatchingthiscrap

Moron!
Disney in Florida is it's own government for the most part due to the deal Walt had setup upon the property purchase.

Gee I wonder why they might frown upon guns, maybe the fact Epcot is still on of the higher listed of potential terrorist targets. hmm.

Betty Artis

As someone who use to work for them this guy is going to loose they have some powerful lawyers and will work it too their advantage. I have known too many incidents where they get off on a technicality.

The Truth

WOw, tha'ts crazyyyyy, why do you need a gun in your trunk.

Fan Since 2007!!!

Can someone inform us as to why Florida would pass a law like that?

A. Castmember

No, Disney is exempt due to an unintentional loophole in the law that states if you have a certain permit that allows you to store excessive amounts of fireworks like Disney does, heck Magic Kingdom alone shoot off over 700 rounds a day and 42 of those are during the day!!!
PS: I've seen castmembers get into fights at the MK cast parking lot the last thing they ned is for someone to lose their cool and go pull a gun out of their car.

Joe

The FL law states businesses that have permits for fireworks and such are exempt from the law. Disney told all its employees this and notified the state of its exemption (after lawyers reviewed it of course). This yahoo dude still insisted on bringing the gun. He SHOULD be canned. Disney is NOT the place for a gun.

RJ

I hope this guy sues and wins a mint. The law is the law and to think Disney is exempt is incorrect. Read the Constitution. If you don't like the law, then change it. Until then, you have to obey what's on the books.

Scott

Don't believe this guy really has a case. Disney World seems to be allowed to have it's own govenment which determines the appropriate laws to which employees must abide by. The labor practices are suspect in what I have heard and seen from people that work there. I have heard that many are forced to work 16 hour days at times as well as 80 hour weeks if they want to stay employed. Disney does have a good benefits package and seems to take care of its employees from that perspective however. People should not assume that Disney must comply with all of Florida's Labor Laws however. Be Careful !!

eb

That's gotta be the stupidest law!

stickit-tothem

He would have not been busted if he did not tell them that he was bring a gun the day before. And there fireworks are not kept in the castmember parking lot were he was parked. But disney owns Orlando and get away with everything.

bridgers22

Oh, Disney, how I love you.

I live in the same city as Disneyland...and let me tell you, they OWN this city. It's pretty impressive. Hell...they have their own JAIL at Disneyland. Per Wiki:

In addition to the standard powers of an incorporated city, which include the issuance of tax-free bonds, the district would have immunity from any current or future county or state land-use laws. The only areas where the district had to submit to the county and state would be property taxes and elevator inspections.

Whatever

Just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean you shoud do it. This guy should have used some common sense. I say good for Disney. The dumb #$% should have kept his mouth shut and not let anyone know that he had one. Seriously??? Common sense people, please.

Fan Since 2007!!!

Florida law sez I can do as I please...

Vanessa

I hope he contacts the NRA. They have some lawyers I wouldn't want to cross either.

He didn't "bring a gun to work." He had a gun safely locked in the trunk of his car. He went to work, the gun remained in the car.

Good luck with your case!

Yaya

for once, I'm on Disney's side. Most of the castmembers are underpaid and the conditions are weird unless you like having smelly tourists and screaming babies all around you while It's A Small World plays in the background. If I worked there and had a gun in my car,...kablooey MIckey Mouse! You don't need a gun at a family theme park.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments