Estelle Getty: Thank You For Being Alive

7/22/2008 2:29 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Golden Girl" Estelle Getty has gone to the big lanai in the sky and died at the age of 84, just three days shy of her 85th birthday.

Estelle passed away at 5:35 AM this morning at her L.A. home surrounded by her family and caregivers. Getty had been suffering for years with Lewy Body Dementia.

Although one year younger than Bea Arthur, Estelle is best known for playing her wise-cracking Sicilian mother Sophia Petrillo on "The Golden Girls." Co-star Betty White is also one year older than Estelle.

Getty is survived by her two adult sons.

Old Chicks: Click to view gallery!

InVermont

Good Bye Sophia

tracey

RIP
you will be missed

amber

I'm so sorry to hear this! Sophia was the best! GG is one of the greatest shows EVER!!!!

Joanne

My deepest condolences to her family. She was a great actress!! I was just watching "Golden Girls" a half hour ago... What a comedic genius...

brewstie

She was hysterical as Dorothy's mother on the Golden Girls. That
show was way ahead of its time and still funny (in reruns) today.
May she rest in peace - she had been sick for quite a long time.

dolphingirl

I grew up watching this show and memories of Sophia and the girls will stay with me always. This was a show for the ages RIP Estelle Thanks for the laugh

thor

R.I.P. "Thank you for being a friend..."

anonymous

"Although only a year older than Bea Arthur, "

i think that is wrong, shouldn't it read "younger" not "older" and its actualy 15 months.

brazilian

in reality, she was one year YOUNGER than bea arthur, who played her daughter at the TV show.

Krystal

I remember watching Golden Girls growing up and dealing with a grandmother with Alzheimer's, wishing that Sophia was my Grandma. Hearing her diagnosed with dementia was just as devestating. At least her suffering from this horrible disease is finally over.

tiedye

this makes me soooo incredibly sad.... RIP Estelle Getty....RIP

derby

the party in heaven just got a little more fun,say hi to lucy and bob.....thanks for the laughs

goldengirlfan

i'll miss her so much! she was my fave on the show. rest in peace my love! your family's in my prayers!!!!

charmed7202

R.I.P. You have made us laugh and for that we thank you and will miss you.

creatvthinkr

Thank you Estelle for the wonderful memories. Your role on the Golden Girls was simply, Golden!