Estelle Getty: Thank You For Being Alive

7/22/2008 2:29 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Golden Girl" Estelle Getty has gone to the big lanai in the sky and died at the age of 84, just three days shy of her 85th birthday.

Estelle passed away at 5:35 AM this morning at her L.A. home surrounded by her family and caregivers. Getty had been suffering for years with Lewy Body Dementia.

Although one year younger than Bea Arthur, Estelle is best known for playing her wise-cracking Sicilian mother Sophia Petrillo on "The Golden Girls." Co-star Betty White is also one year older than Estelle.

Getty is survived by her two adult sons.

Old Chicks: Click to view gallery!

dylansmom

Oh my..I was watching Golden Girls this morning and didn't know until now. You will be very missed. RIP

T-in-SD

Aww bless her. Amazing actress, amazing work. We're lucky to have re-runs of Golden Girls, one of the best shows ever. Estelle did great work, not just on GG but also on satge and film. Hope she didn't have too much pain.

Linda

Rest in peace Estelle-we'll miss you! My mom was disabled and sometimes depressed but whenever we watched Golden Girls we would laugh hysterically. That show was great and always lifted her spirits.I still watch the reruns because now that I'm older I can appreciate it even more. Linda

Sarah Mohrman

This is such a tragedy. May Estelle rest in peace. She was always so funny on Golden Girls. Now, when I watch my DVD's of the girls I will look back and always remember her wonderful portrayal of Sophia. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family as well. Love and miss you always Estelle (my favorite Golden Girl).

ST-BvilleNY.

She added hours of laughter to many lives. She will be applauded in heaven. God Bless.

LOL

RIP, Estelle - you were wonderful as Sophia. One of the best lines you delivered was 'the older I get, the shorter I get'.... I understand that better than ever now that I too am a 'Golden Girl':

My thoughts and prayers go to her family... what a classy lady and wonderful actress!

...I think one of the measures of success is when you don't make the pages of TMZ and other blogs so that you are the object of sarcasm, scorn and derision!!

Thanks for the laughs and smiles Estelle.... God bless!

ash

She brought and still does bring so many laughs to me and my family through the Golden Girls, my thoughts and prayers are with her family during this time.

FlamingoNut

Aw, what a shame. I don't think there's anybody out there that can say a bad word about this woman. She was a class act.

Steven G

Thank you for making us laugh for years and continually making us laugh. You will be greatly missed!!

Merr

RIP Estelle. You certainly entertained us and continue to every day as the show is in reruns. I never fail to have a few chuckles, thanks to you.

LensmanCT

"14. I have been waiting for this to happen. She was the funniest actress on The Golden Girls. So sad....my prayers go out to her family and friends." Posted at 1:08PM on Jul 22nd 2008 by Beth

Jesus, Beth...what kind of ghoul are you? You've been WAITING for this woman to die??? Maybe you should get a hobby.

Lisa

Estelle, you will always be young and vibrant in my mind! Golden Girls Forever!!!!

writergal

so sad...she was hysterical as Sophia. comedic timing that is hard to duplicate.

RIP.

nicolle

What a funny and great actress ! May she rest in peace and live on in Golden Girls reruns forever! I love ya Ma!

Marie

The exchanges between Estelle Getty & Bea Arthur were always my favorite on the show! I watched the episodes millions of times! Thanks for making me laugh, Estelle, over & over & over.....