Nigel Lythgoe: No Longer "Idol" Wannabe

8/4/2008 12:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Nigel LythgoeNigel Lythgoe is off "American Idol."

TMZ has learned Lythgoe, who has executive produced the show for seven seasons, has just taken himself off the program and will not return. No replacement has been named.

We're told Lythgoe felt it was time for someone else to step in. Sources say he's said privately he is "not passionate about it anymore." "A.I.'s" ratings slipped last season, and the show was getting a little boring.

We're also told Lythgoe is working on some kind of a joint venture with Simon Fuller, who created "Idol." Lythgoe wants to spend his time on "So You Think You Can Dance."

Lucy

AI has gotten boring but SYTYCD is awesome!

Panopticon

Why does this guy look like he just came out of a bathtub full of formaldehyde? Is that what AI will do to you?

Nicks

I sense an "Idol" shark jump...

martinistopswithus

that is admirable. the rest of "holywood's finest" should follow lythgoe's lead.

April

He is an english older man andi think he is still hot. Why do aging people get so much bad things said about them as if we live like in the movie Logan's Run. If you have not seen the movie, I suggest you rent it. In the movie, people are killed when they reach the age of 34 so they don't age. I think anyone who is older and had not had plastic surgery are wise, compassionate and beautiful. Go see the movie, it's a classic then STFU about how older people look!!! if you live long enough you will look older too.

Bird

I have to agree with Nigel. The show has gotten terribly boring. They need some fresh ideas and maybe some new people picking the talent. Many of the singers have no personality at all.

Dirty Ninja

Exclusive my AZZ! thedirty.com broke this story last night! Dirty Army for life! Nik u da man.

rob

I gotta agree, Idol has gotten sooo boring. I watch the auditions and the first few weeks of the competition but it is literally so boring I can't take it after that. SYTYCD, on the other hand, just gets more and more exciting as the weeks go on - and I was never a big dance fan LOL. I think Idol's on the way out, it has lost any legitimacy it may have held a few years ago.

heyyouks

Fire Ryan off of the show and I am sure it would be better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vw

Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of American Idol.

Laura

He's not the only one not passionate about it..Idol is really stinkin up Fox..

Cam

He rocks on So you think you can dance. I love that he isn't afraid to call out the coreographers if they have done a lousy job. good Luck Nigel!!!

BearTrak62

I don't blame Nigel for jumping a sinking ship! This last season on "IDOL", was filled with nothing but ringers! I mean I thought that the shows ideas was supossed to be true singer "Wannabe's" singers that need molded, not mucicians whom are already in bands.. Heck Simon said his self that there too many ringers on the show, and the next year will be a different venue, but it's the same season after season..

TasyHat

Idol's ratings slipped a bit but it is still a MAJOR show - - far from a sinking ship! I'm glad Nigel is off, I wish Clive would follow him. Maybe then we would get some "Powers That Be" that will respect the winners and treat them right.

Your'e Fired!

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE, Is a CLASS show! Excellent! This year has been the best! The last 6 should all win!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments