"Egocentric" Edwards: I Was "99% Honest"

8/8/2008 5:54 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

John Edwards just issued the following statement about his admitted sexual affair:

"In 2006, I made a serious error in judgment and conducted myself in a way that was disloyal to my family and to my core beliefs. I recognized my mistake and I told my wife that I had a liaison with another woman, and I asked for her forgiveness. Although I was honest in every painful detail with my family, I did not tell the public. When a supermarket tabloid told a version of the story, I used the fact that the story contained many falsities to deny it. But being 99% honest is no longer enough."

And he goes on ...

"I was and am ashamed of my conduct and choices, and I had hoped that it would never become public. With my family, I took responsibility for my actions in 2006 and today I take full responsibility publicly. But that misconduct took place for a short period in 2006. It ended then. I am and have been willing to take any test necessary to establish the fact that I am not the father of any baby, and I am truly hopeful that a test will be done so this fact can be definitively established. I only know that the apparent father has said publicly that he is the father of the baby. I also have not been engaged in any activity of any description that requested, agreed to or supported payments of any kind to the woman or to the apparent father of the baby.

It is inadequate to say to the people who believed in me that I am sorry, as it is inadequate to say to the people who love me that I am sorry. In the course of several campaigns, I started to believe that I was special and became increasingly egocentric and narcissistic. If you want to beat me up - feel free. You cannot beat me up more than I have already beaten up myself. I have been stripped bare and will now work with everything I have to help my family and others who need my help.

I have given a complete interview on this matter and having done so, will have nothing more to say."

idaho potato

Next admission... The baby is his as well. Why would a married man go to a hotel room last month to visit his 'ex' mistress and her newly-born daughter? Shame on him, as his wife fights his political battles, as well as fighting cancer. Weak men fold. Glad he never got near the presidency.

If anyone enters politics in this day and age, and decides to hold themselves up as an example and one who can lead, should read and follow the Boy Scout Law and Oath. We all should abide by it and the world will be a better place.

kendall

Notice how McCain's been hiding all day today. Because he had the exact same affair, a few decades ago.
Was still married to his first wife while having a fling with Cindy.

Luckily for him it didn't produce an illigitamate baby.

Robert

We should be praying for him and his family, none of us are without sin.

yazzie

JERK! I bet his wife feels pretty low now more than ever. I knew he was like this. Once a cheater always one. I bet this wasnt the first time. I feel bad for his wife at this time. The humiliation.

Natalie

Recently, our local radio station had a call-in for the following question: Do all powerful politicians cheat? I believe that the indivdual will cheat whether is powerful or just a regular guy. Women seek the type of man they want. They tempt these men when things in their life are going good or bad. I just want to know, why with the AIDS epidemic , did John Edwards have UNPROTECTED SEX?

susieq

I do not understand the political lifestyle, why is it acceptable to break your vows as long as you confess them to the public?Do any of our politicians have God in their life? I am not judging, just very disappointed, again!

jan

Its amazing, these so called men think they are so powerful that they can get away with anything.... why do so many men think there brain is between there legs??? His wife should dump him, she deserves better, its scary to think a liar could have become our leader. And the way he ran & hid in the bathroom when he got busted, what a loser!!!

Oats

As a nation we saw what Clinton's affair(s) did to all of us - how they affected our attitudes towards him (and Hillary) and how they subdivided his attentions and efforts of leading the nation. John Edwards didn't learn that?!?!?!?!!!!!! Yes, John - you're right - 99% is no longer enough and never WAS enough. I demand 100% from my leaders - if you can't give that then you don't belong in office. If you can't be loyal to your wife, then how can you ever be loyal to your nation??????

chris

John Edwards doesn't care about his dying wife,who has cancer! He only cares about dipping his stick into a slut! He has no respect for his wife or his family! I agree with alot of you. Why would he visit her, the slut, recently if he wasn't the father of her baby! She's a slut because she new he was married and still had the affair! That makes a slut in my book!
WHATS'S WRONG WITH ALL THESE LYING DEMOCRATS, HAVING EXTRAMARITAL AFFAIRS! OBAMA IS NEXT! YOU WAIT AND SEE, HE HAS A MAJOR EGO. YOU CAN'T TELL ME HE HASN'T OR IS CHEATING ON HIS BUCKTOOTHED,BOW LEGGED WIFE! OBAMA IS PROBABLY SCREWING OPRAH!

Divalicious

Poor man!!!!!!!! i thought you were a morally upright person, shame on you. Any-way, all or most men are like that. Show us a photo of the woman and the baby please.

carol

I believe that child is his and if it is confirmed to be his, that means he is cheating a lot more than he admitted to his wife. Why would he be visiting the other woman and the baby in a hotel room a few weeks ago. There would be no reason to see either one of them. That child is his. He loves himself . You weren't 99% honest - you are 100% a liar.

Martha in Ohio

John Edwards is the Black Mold I found in my basement. He radiates arrogance and continues to lie. Tell the truth for your dying Wifes sake you bottom feeder. There's forgiveness for all but the first step in honesty, he hasn't got there yet. God Bless Elizibeth and give her Mercy and Grace to deal with such a self centered foolish plastic person.

Martha from Ohio, Tired of All the Plastic Politics and Lies.

carol

our pathetic moronic society. who gives a rats' ass if john has a mistress???? like, wait, are you pretending this
is NEWS????????? DUH. you portray a baby giving the finger to a camera. and you have the balls to pretend
you guys over at TMZ ARE MORAL..........what a freaking joke. wow, those who live in glass houses. just too
too stoooopid. go pick on unwed teens, praise the old broads tho that get pregnant and aint married??????????? duh

mmmbarb

Who cares at this point...it happened in 06/07. He is not the first political person to have an affair and won't be the last, not to mention that fact that he is a private citizen now. The media has given this story more than the 15 minutes it deserves. Get over it lets move on to something that actually matters.

Chelsie

When do we get to see him trot his wife out before the press and cameras? I want to see her looking at him lovingly when tears well up in his eyes while he asks forgiveness, blah, blah blah.