Bern Out -- Mac Dies at 50

8/9/2008 11:37 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Comedian Bernie Mac died this morning in Chicago after a long hospitalization from pneumonia.

Mac, whose real name is Bernard McCullough, passed away early this morning at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. He was 50 years old.

His rep just issued the following statement to TMZ: "Actor/ comedian Bernie Mac passed away this morning from complications due to pneumonia in a Chicago area hospital. No other details are available at this time. We ask that his family's privacy continues to be respected."

The day before he died, Mac's rep insisted he was stable, in no danger and expected to be released within the week, even though it was clear Mac was on his death bed.

femalegee

He will be missed. RIP Bernie!

interesting

Oh No...I didn't see this coming. My prayers are with his family. God Speed, you will be missed.

Damzil

Oh so sad...my thoughts and prayers to his family.

Julie

I'm shocked by this! How sad. His family must be stunned. I've been a big fan of his...he was so funny. He'll be missed by a lot of people :(

kim

I can't believe this. He was so funny. What an incredible shock. He will be missed by so many.

CrabbyZ

This is terrible.

R.I.P Bernie - You will be missed.

eloc

I am so shocked and sad!!! My condolences to his family.

scum

Oh my I didn't even know he was ill. He'll be greatly missed! Sending my condolances to his family.

Chrissy

This is so shocking he is so young, and one the legends of comedy, he will be missed, thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends and comic family. May he rest in peace. (

Dixie

Im stunned! RIP Bernie.

LongJohn69

Something stinks here and it ain't his dead body. Way too many slightly sick folks go to the hospital and wind up dying...or should I say, getting murdered? This will wind up on TMZ-TV or E-THS in a few months when the real facts come out.

Marcus

A true icon of comedy. You will be truly missed. You are in a better place.

jonesodis1

the comedy world as we know it, will never be the same! GOD will be cracking up in no time LOL! RIP bernie!

jaiee

OMG we lost an icon R.I.P. Bernie you will be missed..........oh wow!!

RIP

I loved him in the film Bad Santa. Rest in Peace Bernie!