Cops to Diddy: Freeze!

8/23/2008 9:57 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Diddy was introduced to the barrel of a gun early this morning.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ at around 3:00 AM, Puff Daddy, aka Diddy, aka Sean "Puffy" Combs, aka Sean Combs, was being driven by an entourage on the Sunset Strip. One of the cars didn't have proper tags and deputies from the L.A. County Sheriff's Department made the stop.

We're told the other three cars in the entourage stopped as well. It's Sheriff Dept. policy to call for backup when other cars linger at a traffic stop. Backup arrived and the driver of the second car became "extremely uncooperative," to the point he had to be detained. At that point, Diddy and the remaining five or six members of the entourage got out of their cars and began walking toward the detained member of their posse.

That's when one deputy drew his weapon, not knowing what the dudes were up to. We're told at the time the weapon was drawn, deputies did not know Diddy was part of the group.

Ultimately things became peaceful, the detained guy was let go and everyone lived happily ever after ... for the rest of the night. BTW, the guy who was stopped -- turns out he was in a rental car so he wasn't ticketed.

Tim

Too Bad the cops didn't take P-Diddy out. A shot to the head would have been great. Diddy is a peice of human excrement and deserves nothing.... He is a self proclaimed thug and gangster... Better luck next time cops.... You will get him one day....

Catalina

I am unsure of the situation regarding the police officers, but it is very necessary to make stops when you see a grouping of cars on the strip all going in the same direction if you notice that the tags are suspicious. When you are out that late you should be prepared for police to stop you because that's when some bars and most parties end and there can be a lot of drunk drivers. If you are in a grouping of car and one of them gets pulled over it is not necessary to get out of your vehicle uless you are asked. If you feel it to be necessary then stay by your car with your hands visible. Sean Combs should consider being at home with his kids like most other parents (like myself) are. If he does not then that is his choice but, he must be willing to face the consequences. I do not believe it was racial profiling but it could very well be that predicament.

Ed

At 3am, when four cars all stop, when just one is pulled over, and the other 5-6 guys get out of their cars, and start walking towards the officers (and I don't care what color they are), ANY cop with any common sense, would have drawn his weapon!!!

Margaret A Polley

Diddy's a loser - not sure why & how people put so much attention towards him to make him a star!

Catalina

Also I have read some of the racist comments on here. Some are kind of funny, I mean who calls black people monkeys anymore. Why, why, why? Racism is so 1950's, let it go it only causes yourself stress which causes illnesses and misery. Everybody have a great day. Happy Monday!!!!!!!

mm

diddy is nothing special and has no right to approach a police officer, especially when the officer is investigating a stop. They should of locked him up. Just because he is famous in some peoples eyes doesnt mean he can do what he wants, he is no different than the rest of us. these celebrities think they can do what they want... rediculous..

Rachel

I want to know where people got that they were at a club!! It just says they were out a 3 AM. If I was in the officers position I would have drawn my weapon also, no matter what color their skin was. People who think this was about racial profiling are the ones that keep racism going!!

Pamela half a century this year

Hey you guys! I don't care much for Gates or Diddy and sure as hell dislike the Burger King whom all of you seem to care so much about. So I really don't get it (you'll never hear about from me again)

sc

the bottom line is the other cars and their occupants should not have gotten involved, by doing so they created the problem not the police. As for profiling when you have 20-30 % of the population commiting 80% of the crime profiling does work. If they don't like it quit being part of the problem and become part of a solution.

GunnerySgt

He better stay in New York, California does not play games and if it was one of my guys coming back from Iraq, THEY WOULD HAVE all BEEN SHOT. THE IDOITS SHOULD HAVE STAYED IN THEIR CARS AND NOT GET OUT.
I don't care how much money you have LAPD does not care. This is why I love California, shoot first and ask questions later.
Semper Fi, Do or Die

Julie

Racial profiling???? Are you friggin kidding me? The guy was uncooperative and then the rest of his "posse" gets out of the car and approaches? What was the cop supposed to do? Wait to be attacked? Who doesn't KNOW that you stay in your car during a traffic stop unless told to get out. I understand we all have rights but the police have a right to do their job safely and go home to their families at night too.

Carole

Ummmmmmm I'm confused....... what's Diddy a star of? Has he done anything worthwhile in the last 10 years? Other than make the news when he's in trouble? Oh that's it (yawn) he's the star of drama wherever he goes............ thanks for helping me to clarify that

natural woman

IT IS NOT IMPORTANT THAT SEAN,P DIDDY, PUFF DADDY,SEAN COMBS IS BLACK OR WHITE, RICH OR POOR, HE IS A THUG WHO TRIES TO USE HIS MONEY AND HIS SO-CALLED CELEBRITY TO FURTHER HIS THUGDOM, IS THAT A WORD? I DONT THINK SO, BUT WHAT THE HELL DOES DIDDY MEAN?

clcbiatch

Yes, racial profiling is not cool but inescapable for some!!! Who gives a crap about Diddy? He can't rap very well. I don't like him but I like him better than Kanye West if I had to choose. Either way, they are both too much for show and I don't like either of them. Rich opinionated b-holes.

DAVE

All these so called celebrities are of your own making , this is what is happing to our country . Thugs with guns are our role models to our children , most of these guys couldn't get a job at Burger King, however our young people spend their hard earned dollars working for 6 bucks an hour to buy their crap . DON'T YOU JUST LOVE THIS COUNTRY ?