Metallica -- For Whom the Lawsuit Tolls

9/28/2008 6:07 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Nothing in life is free -- unless you're famous -- but this time freebees have put Metallica's bass player in the middle of a serious legal battle.

Their new bassist, Robert Trujillo, had an existing promotional deal with Fernades Guitars in North Hollywood. For being able to use his likeness in advertising, Fernandes was giving Robert a pile of custom basses.

But Metallica has its own promo deal with ESP Guitars -- and now that Trujillo is an asset of Metallicorp, their lawyers have slapped Fernandes with a cease and desist letter demanding they no longer use Robert or Metallica's name or likeness.

Rock and roll used to be much cooler than this.

sleepflower

New bassist? He joined 5 years ago! Metallica need to stop being so bloody whiny!

taint

Robert forget Metallica and go back to the INFECTIOUS GROOVES!! GROOVE FAMIlY CYCO!!

tard in the hood

lars sucks

tard in the hood

lars does suck

Bethany Sweet

I also grew up in the 80s, and I've seen Metallica live so many times. Met them all (years ago), partied, went backstage. As someone who SHOULD love them, I don't. What a bunch of jerks they turned out to be. LAME. Time to retire to your $$$ and leave making inspiring music to the next generation. Sorry to say that. I'm almost 40 myself. But when your time has come, it has. For Metallica, your vast talent disappeared long before Napster. In my humble opinion, Ride the Lightning was Metallica's last album, and it rocked. So sad.

xoxo Bethany

AL

Master of Puppets will be remembered for all of human existance. That being said- They could have let this one go by without sueing. Maybe as some form of musician professional courtesy?

Dawn

Metallica is a bunch of over the hill greedy bastards who need to RETIRE. They've gotten WAY too wrapped up in themselves.

ugh

When they took down Napster because of these tards, I was done with them. I've hated them ever since.

Lars especially disgusted me whining about royalties then he goes out and marries some high maintanence bimbo that wouldn't have a thing to do with him were he not rich. Idiot.

Metallica = corporate whores.

tiff321