"Dead" Guy Grateful to be Breathing Easy

10/1/2008 3:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The dude who plays guitar for the Grateful Dead -- Bob Weir -- broke his ribs riding on a tour bus. The good news -- he will get by!

We're told Weir was truckin' along in a tour bus when it had to stop short. Bob was standing and fell when the driver slammed on the brakes.

A rep tells us it hurt for Bob "to breathe, hold the guitar, and laugh."

Weir was able to finish the tour with his band, Bob Weir and the Ratdogs, but had to cancel a recent fundraiser because battling broken ribs and a cold was just too much to handle.

At least now he's got an excuse to find some medicinal alternatives...

nature girl

I miss the Dead!! It is not the same without Jerry, but you boys still ROCK!!

mother doot

not a great picture but bobby still looks good. . .kissed him once in the early 80's. . .we were staying at the same sheraton hotel. . .would gladly do it again!

mike

PHISH IS GETTING BACK TOGETHER !!!

WOOOO HOOOOO

THEY ARE 1000 TIMES BETTER THAN THE DEAD EVER WERE

KBKEN

Get better soon! I have 13 Greatful Dead concerts and an untold number of Rat Dog and dead shows since Jerry Passed. Bob your music always makes me smile and gets me groovin. Again feel better and keep that fire burning on the mountain!

maple

By "a recent fundraiser", are they talking about the upcoming Obama fundraiser at Penn State? I just bought $140 tickets on e-bay and haven't paid for them yet. I'm starting to panic.

concerned citizen

Get well bobby, we love you!

lisa

That's a really old pic of bob. He looks nothing like that now.

In fact, he looks a little like Jerry

Crabby

Fortunately for him, he had enough pot in his system that he never felt any pain.

josh

Be nice to Bobby, he's been nice to us ALL THESE YEARS.

Florida Deadhead

The writers at TMZ are idiots. "The Dead" is not touring right now. In fact, it has been quite a while since they have. There is talk of the Obama benefit this month though. The morons probably mean that it was the Ratdog tour bus...perhaps TMZ should be on TMZ for being morons......

anthonysdreamgirl**

the dead sucks and so do all it's fake-ass fans. i remember being in high school in the 80s and there was a group of deadheads who were the most annoying bunch of people i've ever encountered. peace and love my ass... wake up hippies - that "movement" that you all stand for, half of you weren't even alive for it. and most jammi music sucks unless you're on drugs... you're not having fun kids, you're just having fun with the drugs and alcohol...

garciyalater

to the guy happy about phish....

I saw phish 100 times, the dead 25, I would give up every phish show I saw post 97 for one more dead show.....

phish isnt half the band the dead was....

2024 days ago

I laugh at other's misfortunes

Stopping short?? The bus driver stole my move!!

mike

#11

The Dead, sloppy as a pothead in art class, never possessed the technical proficiency of Phish. While the Dead had more of a grasp on their gumbo of American musical tradition, Phish could blow them off the stage with their technical musical wizardry.

Mr Right

The Dead Sucks!
Weakass wimpy annoying music!!!!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments