IndyCar Driver/"Dancing" Champ Indicted

10/2/2008 3:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Helio Castroneves TMZ has learned that Helio Castroneves has been indicted for allegedly not paying taxes on more than $5 million. Castroneves was indicted today in Miami. The charges -- Conspiracy to Defraud the U.S. and Tax Evasion.

According to the indictment, Helio and two others are accused of using "an offshore Panamanian shell corporation Seven Promotions to conceal and disguise the true and correct amount of Helio Castroneves' income from the Internal Revenue Service."

Helio was indicted along with his sister, Katiucia Castroneves and Alan Miller, Helio's lawyer. The three are charged with conspiracy "for the purpose of impeding, impairing, obstructing, and defeating the lawful government functions of the Internal Revenue Service."

They are accused of trying to "conceal and disguise" Helio's income. One of the charges -- that Helio received $2 million in salary from a Brazilian trading company but made it appear that he only received $200,000.

The Conspiracy and Tax Evasion charges are each punishable by a maximum of 5 years in federal prison.

Castroneves is known to some as a race car driver, but recently gained wider fame by winning "Dancing with the Stars."

bushisamonkee

dude isnt even American...doesn't the US govt have better things to do, like impeach the monkee we call a president?

Beverly

Bummer

WIRED

if they pass this illegal bailout with our tax money no-one should pay their taxes

Pat

This guy was so great on DWTS.... he had so much positive energy, and just a happy nature. Well, you can't blame him for trying to save some of that tax money. Look what the Feds do with it: bail out wallstreet theives, spend trillions on invading and controlling Iraq, and thousands of other ways to throw away all the money they take from the taxpayers.

Too bad we can't put the real thieves on trial. Government officials would be among the rest.

Bullwinkle1976

Like The old saying goes:THE GREEDY BECOME THE NEEDY.

Bullwinkle1976

Like the old saying goes:" THE GREEDY BECOME THE NEEDY".

ali

He can do like Willie and do a tape for the irs and run an ad for it.. However, I didnt buy the Willie IRS tape and I doubt I would buy a Dancing for the irs....

Indy Expert

I think Helio has worked for everything he has earned. He has messed up like a lot of Americans do. Life is full of mistakes. You learn and move on. Unlike many of you, I have followed him since I was 2 years old. I am an expert on all the IRL drivers. I am even friends with some of them. I have also had a good conversation with his PR. So I suggest to anyone who has never even followed him or cared about him, to shut up and leave this guy alone. You obviously do not know who you are talking about. Even if he is found guilty, he is a nice guy and has accomplished more than what you guys have. It seems to me, most of you guys just sit on TMZ all day to find degrading things to say about people you do not know! Get a life and stop trashing this guy.

Rick

The IRS is a Gestapo Agency anyway. Abolish th IRS!!!

Indy Expert

Susan

The IRS is one of the most powerful agencies in this country. You don't want to screw with the IRS.

jamie

I wonder if he is a democrat.

Carmela

Oh BostonKate, you meant #8 not #5 oops

KC

"Dancing With The Guards" -funny

justice seeker

So, how come al Sharpton is still not indictied? He owes millions!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments