Helio Gets Green Flag for Oz

10/10/2008 5:36 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Helio Castroneves is going halfway around the world while he awaits trial on tax evasion charges. Good idea?

A Federal judge is letting H go to Australia for a race on October 26. The same judge allowed him to race last Saturday in Atlanta, just a day after his indictment hearing. Not too shabby, all this travel.

Amusingly enough, the judge said if he tries to go on the lam, Helio would be "dancing with the U.S. marshals." Ah, jurist humor.

tmzjunkie

FIRST!

Topeka

Hey TMZ - those of us who live in Kansas request that you be a little more original when nicknaming destinations. Oz for Australia? Seriously?

Marie

Oz has always been the nickname for Australia.

Topeka

I know Marie - I said that mosty with tongue in cheek! Australia got Oz because of their accent. Kansas got Oz because of Dorothy and Toto....oh wait - they aren't real, but Australia is.....hhmmmmm

Topeka

Good Lord #5, go write a blog somewhere. Your comments have no place here, which shows your tiny mind. Oh by the way, I'm proud to vote for Obama and can't wait to see him sworn in.

Mooresville

Helio's race shop is in my hometown, and I know people who work there. Everyone, myself included, agrees that Helio is a good guy. I hope that he can prove himself guilty of having a bad lawyer and nothing more.

Abdul

The real reason why Helio was crying is because Julianne has a new beau named Chuck.

Abdul

Yea! Helio is crying, but his ex-fiancee is probably laughing her a$$ off. What goes around, comes around. Never forget that.

bubba

Dude just sign the papers and trust me.I have everything under control
He has to know a little something about it.

Topeka

Mooresville -that's pretty cool. My impression has always been that he's a straight up guy. Lawyers got their bad reputation for a reason...Wonder if you've been to his shop. I've been to NHRA John and Ashley Force's shop and also Chip Foose.

Topeka

Oops - sorry Harvey, you're excluded from the bad lawyer comment, of course! You're my favorite!

BRASUSA

HE WILL BE EVENTUALLY DEPORTED BACK TO BRAZIL ONCE HE SETTLES WITH THE I.R.S. - JAIL OR NOT - IT IS U.S. IMMIGRATION LAW, LET'S SEE HOW THIS " RACER " WILL WIN THAT RACE... LIKE THE SAYING GOES DOWN THERE " JA ACABOU O DOCE PRA TI MEU AMIGO BRASILEIRO "