Jen Garner Fears for Safety

11/19/2008 2:50 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Jennifer Garner has obtained a court order protecting herself from a man she believes is endangering her family.

TMZ has obtained docs ordering Steven Burky to stay clear of Garner -- no contact whatsoever.

In her declaration, Garner says "Mr. Burky has been stalking and harassing me," sending "packages and letters containing delusional and paranoid thoughts and following me around the country ..."

Garner says Burky has been harassing her since 2002, but in the last year "his obsessive and harassing behavior has escalated to the point of becoming dangerous and threatening."

Garner says Burky has shown up at her home and said, "God has sent him a vision of her being persecuted in some manner that may result in her death."

Garner says she fears for herself, husband Ben Affleck and daughter Violet. She also says "I am currently pregnant and fear for the safety of my second child once born."

Burky has written a blog called Satanic Panic, asking, "Are multitudes of adults resorting to human sacrifices and then repressing this information from fear of Christ..."

A judge issued a temporary restraining order earlier this month. There's a hearing tomorrow to make the order permanent.

Read the docs

Garner's security guy, Dennis Bridwell, also submitted a declaration in which he said Burky described himself as a "crazed Alias fan," once finding her at an event, giving her roses and a card that read "I love you forever" along with his contact information. Bridwell says Burky has stalked Garner around the country, adding, "Mr. Burky now represents a clear threat to Ms. Garner's life."

We've learned the LAPD has taken the threat seriously and has been involved in the case.

Law enforcement sources tell us Burky is currently under a 5150 psychiatric hold.

thats right

have you noticed that these people that turn into freaks are always bent about god? wtf is up with that? jesus.

2074 days ago

Marie

Wow, if Jennifer Garner can have a stalker, I guess anyone can!

2074 days ago

I wonder !

I CAN'T BELIEVE SOME OF THESE COMMENTS,SOME OF YOU SOUND HEARTLESS.THIS IS A VERY SERIOUS MATTER & SOME PEOPLE HAVE BEEN KILLED BY STALKERS.TO SAHARA-YOU ARE RIGHT A RESTRAINING ORDER IS ALMOST ALWAYS USELESS IF SOMEONE IS THAT OBSESSED WITH ANOTHER PERSON THEY WILL GO TO ANY EXTREME NO MATTER WHAT! TO THE PERSON WHO SAID THAT JEN NEEDS TO "GET OVER HERSELF" HAS A HEART OF STONE. HAVE YOU EVER BEEN STALKED? YOU NEED TO GET OVER YOURSELF.I KNOW CAUSE I WAS STALKED IN 1999 & IT WAS HORRIBLE.I COULDN'T LEAVE THE HOUSE WITHOUT SOMEONE WITH ME, I WAS ALWAYS LOOKING OVER MY SHOULDER & WHEN I COULD SLEEP I HAD AWFUL NIGHTMARES SO BAD THAT MY DOCTOR GAVE ME A MEDICINE TO HELP ME SLEEP.I WAS A WAITRESS AT A VERY POPULAR CLUB & WORKED TILL 2AM.THIS MAN MUST HAVE BEEN WATCHING ME WHEN I WOULD LEAVE WORK TO GO HOME CAUSE HE SHOWED UP AT MY HOME WITH ALL HIS BELONGINGS PACKED IN HIS CAR.THERE IS TO MUCH TO MY STORY TO TELL BUT IT WAS AN AWFUL SCARY TIME IN MY LIFE THAT I WILL NEVER FORGET & JEN GARDNER IS ALSO PREGNANT, THAT STRESS & FEAR CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS WITH HER PREGNANCY. WE ALL SHOULD PRAY FOR HER & HER FAMILY.GOD BLESS HER,& KEEP HER SAFE.

2074 days ago

carriss

Wow, I just read the letters this guy wrote and he's really obsessed with her. It sounds to me like he spends alot of time reading so he knows exactly what to say to her to try to play on her Christianity (if she is indeed a Christian). Maybe he oughtta taken his own advice, or possibly the advice of someone in his church, and leave her the hell alone. He says he feels her in spirit, well I wonder how much spirit there is in the psych center he's now enjoying for being a stalker. I never did understand why adults got so obsessed with friggin celebrities, and especially Jennifer Garner, I mean, it's not like she's out doing movies every other month like Lindsay Lohan, and she's certainly not out on the party scene all the time like Paris Hilton. Why is it always the normal celebs who end up with the crazies? All I gotta say is, dude, you wrote her how many emails and letters and she didn't respond? I don't think she likes you very much, maybe you should stop writing her letters and find a better use for your time. As for her husband Ben, he probably hasn't done anything about this because he either A. doesn't care, B. doesn't think he can help, or C. doesn't realize just how bad this has gotten, or maybe he just figures the cops will handle it and eventually the guy will give up and leave her alone.

2074 days ago

Dragonflyspirit

If there are so many of you that do not like Jen, why do you read the articles about her? There are too many negative comments about her and all she is wanting to be is a Mom that is able to spend time with her daughter. she is not 'pimping' Violet out. She is just out playing with her daughter, trying to have a normal life. Don't be a hater, if you don't like her, don't read or comment about her. She's a great mom, congrats on the beautiful marriage and 2 gorgeous kids!!

2074 days ago

lovemystery.com

So, because she takes her daughter out into the sunlight, she's an attention whore? How often do you leave your house, go to the park with your childresn, or go for a walk? How often do you have people waiting outside to take your picture? I have a 2 yr old, children need sunlight, fresh air and they love going to the playground. I think she seems like an amazing mom, you people must be fat,lazy parents, who sit on the couch all day while your kids are glued to the tv. This guy is crazy, just because she is a celebrity doesn't mean she has to stop living her life because of creeps like this. Get a clue you idiots! TO you #7, I"m sure she gets to pick when the photogs harrass her and take her picture, I bet she just says not today guys, don't take my picture. IDIOT!

2073 days ago

Muzzy

Wow, after reading those letters I can honestly say with confidence, this guy is completely bent. He reminds me of those Jesus Freaks standing on the corner of the road with a hand written sign stating "The End Is Near! Repent!" only this guy is obsessed to boot. Rather than trying to cure the uncureable, seek a restraining order and keep this guy pent up I suggest they use his wacked mind to their advantage. "Jesus has spoken and The Holy Spirit wishes for him to end his life and spend eternal heaven with God!". Something along those lines. Think of of the martyr's and how they believe they'll be blessed with countless virgins in heaven when they sacrifice their life. This guy is a waste of air and the sooner he ends his own pitifull life the better and safer we'll all be, as long as he does it in the confines of the mental institution. And we all know, there is a special place in Hell for people like this. Rot there Steven.

2073 days ago

Lora

First, to the person who read that terrifying article and all they had to say is "SHE'S PREGNANT AGAIN?" Thanks for the laugh! Sick, but funny.
Second, this Burky fellow is a paranoid schizophrenic. classic textbook case. hopefully he is doing the Thorazine shuffle as we speak.

2073 days ago

Happy Camper

What a wack job !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take care Jennifer and family........

2073 days ago

Nostradamus

I was thinking you that vision he has about her? well, it is all true...and the person that will harm her is no other than OBAMA himself. In another word, the Anti-Christ

2073 days ago

Ms_Tell_It_Like_It_Is

Wow, this guy is obviously seriously mentally imbalanced. Very sad for him, but so scary for Jen and her family. I must say, a lot of the posters here are almost as whacked out with the things they are saying, especially that Ben is actually into JLo - HE was the one that wanted out of the whole relationship in the first place, nimrods. He is obviously very happy with Jen and loves his family very much. That was a really nasty, stupid thing to write.

I hope they get this permanent order, though this guy seems to be so imbalanced that I don't think anyone should trust him to take it seriously. Very sad situation.

2073 days ago

Sue

Some of you people are rediculous! Ben is still in love with J LO? Please Jen G. is more beautiful without make up than J LO could ever hope to be. Next because she voted for OBAMA she deserves this?. Then she pimps out her kid to the Papps?. To answer that why shouldn't she be able to go out like normal people and go shopping and have lunch? They photograph her in her own back yard. Tom and Katie are the baby pimpers! You see them out alot more! They dress their daughter like she is a real life princess in case she will be photographed. KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE BALL PEOPLE. This woman is a well known actress and has a nut job after her. I would do the same thing but a TRO will do nothing to protect this poor girl who is scared for her family and her unborn child. I hope they put him in a bare cell and leave him there!

2073 days ago

Bob Dole rules

The police ought to use deadly force to bring stalkers down. All of them. Either that or put them all away until the end of time.That includes this creep.

2073 days ago

damn ur dumb

Anyone on here remember what happened to Rebecca Schaffer from the TV show "My Sister Sam"? This is nothing to be taken lightly. But a restraining order means nothing to a person who cares nothing about the law.

2073 days ago