Jen Garner Fears for Safety

11/19/2008 2:50 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Jennifer Garner has obtained a court order protecting herself from a man she believes is endangering her family.

TMZ has obtained docs ordering Steven Burky to stay clear of Garner -- no contact whatsoever.

In her declaration, Garner says "Mr. Burky has been stalking and harassing me," sending "packages and letters containing delusional and paranoid thoughts and following me around the country ..."

Garner says Burky has been harassing her since 2002, but in the last year "his obsessive and harassing behavior has escalated to the point of becoming dangerous and threatening."

Garner says Burky has shown up at her home and said, "God has sent him a vision of her being persecuted in some manner that may result in her death."

Garner says she fears for herself, husband Ben Affleck and daughter Violet. She also says "I am currently pregnant and fear for the safety of my second child once born."

Burky has written a blog called Satanic Panic, asking, "Are multitudes of adults resorting to human sacrifices and then repressing this information from fear of Christ..."

A judge issued a temporary restraining order earlier this month. There's a hearing tomorrow to make the order permanent.

Read the docs

Garner's security guy, Dennis Bridwell, also submitted a declaration in which he said Burky described himself as a "crazed Alias fan," once finding her at an event, giving her roses and a card that read "I love you forever" along with his contact information. Bridwell says Burky has stalked Garner around the country, adding, "Mr. Burky now represents a clear threat to Ms. Garner's life."

We've learned the LAPD has taken the threat seriously and has been involved in the case.

Law enforcement sources tell us Burky is currently under a 5150 psychiatric hold.

Terry

The RO is helpful in case you have to blow the guy away, you have less paper work and explaining to do.

It must be terrifying for anyone to go through that not just a celebrity, I cant imagine living like that. She is fortunate she has the resources to hire protection, One small positive anyway.

Anon

What is up with people leaving such nasty comments! YOU GUYS ARE BEYOND SICK. No one deserves this sort of treatment. Jennifer isn't out there parading for attention, she is living her LIFE just like you and me. How would you feel if you had a mental case sending you letters ALL the time, following you everywhere, sleeping outside your house, making threats. I send her my well wishes, because people like this man don't get locked up at ALL, what they get is a free pass to do whatever they want. The law needs to be changed so that they do NOT get out and start hurting people. Stalkers are getting worse every year because access to personal information is easier for them to obtain (mainly through the internet). It is very frightening and they have very unpredictable behavior which could lead them to kill someone or even themselves because of their obsession. Clearly you people which are making such hideous remarks are just as sick as the stalker.

Pattie

Jennifer - Needs to learn how to use a hand gun especially in her home. Legal Paperwork.... can make you feel better for a little while, but until this guy in a mental hospital or jail you really have to take precautions yourself.

I will pray for you and your family. This is awful.

Zeprules

People need to protect themselves in today's crazy world. The police/court system sucks. We need to have our own protection and have a hand gun available to protect ourselves and family. It is a shame to have to do this. They need to put these kinds of people in a State hospital for many years and monitoring them when they get out. The court system treats the criminal as a victim and the victim is the one who really suffers because the judges/courts fail society.

Patti

Ann is totally right on. Jennifer is not exploiting herself or Violet (like poor little Suri Cruz), she is simply attempting to live a somewhat normal type life in a high profile society. She has to go outside of her house (come-on folks) she is not the criminal here. Whenever she does leave her home she has a body guard close by. Could you imagine having to have someone up your Butt just to go to the grocery store? She is attempting to allow Violet to live a normal childs life, wearing regular children's clothes, no $300.00 haircuts, notice that she no longer is sucking on a baby bottle either? Some people need to get their priorities in order like Jennifer has, children come first.

Rebie Johnson

umm, to all of you who thinks he misses J-LO, he was the one who broke it off with her, she kept prancing in front of the camera, which he couldn't deal with

Dee

My God, this guy is really nuts! He just rambles and rambles about nothing. He thinks he's some kind of prophet and has visions and yadda, yadda, yadda. Been in a mental institution 3 times in the last 3 years??? Wow. His mind and his thinking are so messed up. He thinks he really has some kind of relationship with Jennifer Garner. This is scary and I hope something terrible does not happen. My question is why was he discharged from those mental hosptials? Obviously he's got some really serious problems and is delusional. I would have security 24-7 if I were Jennifer. I wonder how many others walking around this country are just as crazy as this guy? Scary.

Shadowwolf

NO GUN!! Not even her body guard should be allowed to have one. They are the ones who always want to stop law abidding citizens from haveing guns for protection, but when some psyco bothers them that is the first thing they do is hire an ARMED bodyguard. Why is their life more important than ours? Rosie O came down on Tom Selleck a few years ago on guns and being a member of the NRA, then K-mart for selling guns, but then when she got a threat about someone kidnapping HER child she hired an armed bodyguard. Talk about double standard. Obama and his crew have been trying to outlaw guns for years and now will probably get the chance. I don't mind as long as HIS Secret Service Agents can't carry them either. And all cops stop carrying them too. The we unprtected citizens will only have to worry about the actual criminals who will be carrying them. I don't care if you own a gun or not , join the NRA, because they are the only ones fighting for your right to buy one for protection if you ever decide you do need one. And if they take away your 2nd Ammendment rights then which ones will be next? And don't give me your misinterpertation of the 2nd ammendment, go back anb do your real history first. A militia WAS THE CITIZENS!

CW

Wow. To everyone calling her an attention whore - how many times a week do YOU leave the house? I know I make a trip to the supermarket 2-3 times a week to get fresh foods, I pick up my daughter from activities, I stop at the post office... If I had paps clicking away every time I ran an errand, I guess I would be called an attention wh0re too?

Tams

For those saying she should have done something sooner. It may be a situation in which she has but they were unable to detain him until he crossed a certain line. I suspect she did something a lot sooner than was obvious.

Luscious

A PIECE OF PAPER IS NO MATCH 4 A CRAZY PERSON....AS IT'S BEEN PROVEN TIME AND TIME AGAIN....lol @#62 CRY US A RIVER

Hhahaaah. Go Kitty

Dang. Thats hardcore.

babymomma

That's just freakin SCARY! He is a certified psycho - maybe Hollywood can make a movie script about this and Jen can star in it. If I was her, I'd do it I bet she'd win an Oscar

SouthernMom

Well I agree the ("regular"/non-celebrity) communtiy, we have to hope & Pray for protection, not like a celebrity that mosrt of them do get the special protection and also special treatment untlike us, non-celebrties. And I agree about that poor Suri Cruise (with ALL their bodyguards, etc in her life) and she's always dressed like a store mannequin/robot. She doesn't get to even look like nor act like a child. But again, this is only my 2cents. I, myself a SouthernMom (with a child grown and about to graduate college :+)

2072 days ago

Mika

1. If this man has been following her around the country, then, this must have been going on for some time. Why hasn't hubby Ben stepped up and confronted this man whose threatening his family?

"Stepping up" and confronting an obviously delusional stalker will NOT stop anything. That would only encourage the behavior, and this Steve's feelings that he's being kept away from Garner by the people in her life. It is never recommended to confront these kinds of people . Attention = affection.

For those that think Ben should attack a mentally ill stalker to somehow make things better, regardless how you feel about Ben Affleck, that is a very STUPID thing to do or even suggest.

2072 days ago