Jumping the Shark -- The Deadly Flight Pattern

12/18/2008 7:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

This pic should give you a better idea how a shark managed to jump from her tank and onto a waterslide in The Bahamas earlier this week.

FYI -- the slide goes through the shark area (the open air slide becomes an enclosed tube) and lets out in a small pool down below.

The female reef shark somehow cleared the 18-inch wide and 1-foot high barrier around the bottom of the Mayan Temple's Leap of Faith slide -- then slid down the rest of the slide and into an empty pool. It died from complications from the pool's chlorinated water.

The shark was at least 12 years old.

cee

Slow news day

Jackie Brown

Well, that would be kind of cool to be that close to a predator, but it's no surprise that a big fish can jump that wall.

arte help

While I feel bad about this incident, I'm more concerned about Obama's first scandal and he isn't even in office yet. I'm embarrased to admit that I voted for him and now it looks like the Clinton years all over again. His picks look more like "No Change we can believe in" I think I will regret my choice for the next 4 years, but hope nothing else comes out.

katie

R

NYone

It's not funny ...STOP abusing animals for the entertainment of fat, spoiled Americans

VioletteUK

4. There is some resorts use salt water for swimming and all that fun water stuff. I think it is more eco-friendly.

Posted at 10:31AM on Dec 18th 2008 by A
6. first of all perhaps the sharks would like to be in the OCEAN where they belong and not locked in tanks for the "enjoyment"of humans with too much money to spend on stupid things like swimming with captive wild animals animals and second how did a story on a poor miserable shark become a forum for Obama???? where do you peple live!

Posted at 11:16AM on Dec 18th 2008 by dragonfly
Good points...this is just messed!

dee

I've been to that godforsaken hellhole of a "resort," and all the pools ARE salt water. But who knows what else they put in there.

VioletteUK

On a lighter note...
My cat was caught with her front paws in the turtle tank today...
The turtle tank fell...crashed to the floor,
all the little buggers made a run for it.
Nobody was hurt, but the turtles need a new tank.
Said turtles have now been rounded up
Cat is LISTED AS AWOL. lol

carriss

Pretty elaborate slide, and what I find strange is this "retaining" wall, it looks like a street curb. I guess they didn't know fish could jump out of their water. Oh well, and I like how they stressed the fact that these sharks aren't dangerous, as they're "hand fed" by the staff. Well ya know what, Pitbulls are owned and cared for by humans, and they STILL bite people, and tear them to shreds. These are wild animals people, why you think it's safe to have them so close to where people (adults AND children) go flying down into a pool of water is beyond me. It may look pretty, but not everything that's pretty is a good idea. Maybe now you'll rethink your architecture and build a REAL tank for these animals to live in, or better yet, leave them in the f*cking ocean where they belong.

Dan

Uhh, #5, this resort is in THE BAHAMAS. Maybe you need a geography lesson, but they are their OWN COUNTRY. So, maybe you should be saying fat, lazy, BAHAMIANS. #2, reef sharks are harmless, you can swim with them, no problem. They also don't jump in the wild, which makes this case even more strange. #3, find another post or forum for your political views, this is not the place for them here. #10, there is a glass wall providing more separation from the "curb", they cannot swim right up to that stone section.

Ima lady

Well, no wonder this incident happened. Look at the construction of the slide...I have a different angle on this, okay no offense to the shark, but I think it's kinda dumb to have a slide with humans sliding down towards, not into, but definitely towards, sharks that already look intimidating enough, no matter if they eat humans or not!

Jackie Brown

#11

Well, Dan you seem to have all the answers. Thanks for all the information....u purdy smert!

kan

Correction Dan - they do jump in the wild. "The blacktip (reef shark) is one of only a few sharks that can jump fully out of the water, a behavior called breaching. They have also been observed surfacing to look around (spy-hopping)." From Wikipedia.

THE TRUTH IS WITHIN ME BITCHES