John Travolta's Son Dies

1/3/2009 10:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Rand Memorial Hospital in the Bahamas tells TMZ the son of John Travolta died today.

We're told 16-year-old Jett was vacationing with Travolta and wife Kelly Preston.

There have been reports that Jett was autistic, though Travolta has denied it, saying he suffers from Kawasaki Syndrome, a condition which often leads to heart disease.

UPDATE 5:15 PM ET -- Police just released more details. According to a report, Jett was last seen going into the bathroom at their private suite at the Old Bahama Bay Resort sometime yesterday. The body was discovered by the caretaker, Jeff Michael Kathrein (pictured bottom right with Travolta in 2006), at 10:00 AM today. The report says Jett suffered from seizures.

An autopsy is being performed to determine the exact cause of death.

UPDATE 4:54 PM ET -- A police spokeswoman says Jett hit his head in a bathtub.

UPDATE: 4:40 PM ET -- Restview Memorial Mortuary and Crematorium in the Bahamas tells TMZ Jett's body would be transferred there on Monday.

UPDATE: 4:00 PM ET -- Travolta's attorney Michael Ossi says Jett suffered a seizure at his family's vacation home at the Old Bahama Bay Hotel on Grand Bahama Island. Attempts to revive him were unsuccessful and he died on scene.

Robert Gidel, president of Ginn Properties (which owns the Old Bahama Bay Hotel), tells TMZ, "The Travolta family has become like family to us at Old Bahama Bay and we extend our deepest sympathies to them."

2020 COMMENTS

bcarefulwhatuwish4

John and Kelly, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. No parent should have to suffer the loss of a child. My prayers will be with you, May God Bless you and your family in this time of suffering.

gogogladys

WHY DO BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE.......................

maggie

Jesse, Whitney might know something you dont. Dont be so quick with your vitreol

me

May God keep them all close during this unimaginable time.

QE2

Thoughts and prayers to the family and friends of this young man. May they have comfort and stregnth in their grief.

STFU TMZ YOU ARE IDIOTS

They are scientologists so they probably didn't have him go to a hospital. Dumb F****

Nicole

this is so sad! i just can't imagine on vacation too! so so tradgical!!! :( perez made fun of the poor kid too, booooooooooo perez!

gogogladys

Why do bad things happen to good people.......................RIP

whitney

No, no. I simply made a very HUMAN error. I misread and didn't know his name was jet. Say what you all will, I wasn't being nasty. It's a tragedy to lose a child.

Sharon

How awful for the family. It would be so nice if people who post here would remember what the article is about -- a young boy has died and a family is mourning. It's not a time for name-calling

ilovemax

i think that person thought it was a jet ski accident becuase it said "kawasaki syndrome"..wow

Melissa

Heartbreaking :(

5THBEATLE

I'm SO sorry for your loss. My daughter was murdered in 96, and I KNOW how you feel!! It's an undescribable feeling to lose a child. My condolences to you and Kelly. I wish that I could help you and Kelly through the VERY emotional and physical pain that you two must be suffering right now. My thoughts are with you. God Bless!!

Bex

Shocking! My condolences....

melody

Mr. Travolta,

I am so sorry for your loss and I will pray for you and your family at this difficult time. God Bless!