Travolta's Son -- Fatal Blow to Head

1/3/2009 2:36 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned what may have killed Jett Travolta, and it's not what police have suggested.

We've spoken with John Travolta's lawyer and close friend, Michael McDermott, and family attorney Michael Ossi, both of whom are with John in the Bahamas. They tell TMZ it appears Jett's fatal injury was the result of hitting his head on the bathtub, toilet seat, or both. And they say the intimation that Jett went undiscovered for hours is absolutely false.

Police have said the last time anyone saw Jett was when he went to the bathroom on January 1. His body was discovered by nanny Jeff Kathrein the next day at 10 AM. In fact, McDermott and Ossi say it appears Jett went back and forth to his room and the fatal injury occurred "very shortly" before Jett was found on the bathroom floor -- McDermott called it a "small window of time."

McDermott and Ossi tell us two nannies were present on the trip and Jeff was by his side 24/7. There was a baby monitor device by Jett's side and there was also a chimer in the bathroom when the door opened.

McDermott and Ossi say it is still unclear if Jett fell to the floor as a result of a seizure or if he had a seizure after falling or slipping. There was blood on the floor of the bathroom, but "not a tremendous amount." It appears the striking of Jett's head was the cause of death, though it won't be clear until the autopsy is performed Monday morning.

Jett's body will be embalmed Monday afternoon. There will be a local showing on Tuesday and later that day the body will be flown to Ocala, Fla. for burial.

McDermott says both John and Kelly are night owls. John often goes to sleep at around 5 AM. But McDermott says both nannies were at the hotel and Jeff always present.

McDermott tells us a hotel manager was first on scene with Jeff and the two of them administered CPR. John came in shortly thereafter and John took over for a "substantial period of time [and] was performing CPR and continued that until EMT came and took over."

McDermott says as for Travolta and Preston, the pain is "unimaginable and unquantifiable."

UPDATE: The Grand Bahamas health minister confirms that the autopsy will be conducted by two pathologists to ensure a proper evaluation has been made. A clinical and forensic pathologist from Nassau, that is U.S. certified, will fly into Grand Bahama on Monday to help perform the autopsy.

B.

I can' believe how cruel and stupid people are. John Travolta and his family have every right to practice whatever religion they choose. After all it's THE AMERICAN WAY. But apparently it only applies to certain religions. I think we should leave the Travolta's alone in their grief. They are suffering enough. To John, Kelly, Ella and their family and friends, please accept my deepest sympathies. I know the road ahead is going to be an extremely difficult one. I pray that you will survive this tragedy. Take care.

B - Canadian/American

2083 days ago

cricket in myrtle beach

I would just like to say I send My deepest sympathy I regret that you have suffer that kind of loss and as for the other responses why is it always smth said about how this man raised his child and I am not into the scienteology thing it is fake but still why do you seem to think that medication would have changed His fate it was not a suprise to GOD we will never catch him off guard and I have about as much faith in medicine as I do in two men getting pregenant the medical field has no magic cure that is gonna save you life before or after you die it is life and news flash Life ends here on this Planet in which we live.it is a very sad day for the Travolita's and we should treat them the way we want if it were to happen to us have some decency and compassion.

2083 days ago

CONCERNED GRANDMOTHER

I FEEL FOR THE FAMILY, FOR I HAVE LOST TWO SONS , AND WHEN YOU LOOSE A CHILD YOU LOOSE A PIECE OF YOURSELF. THE THING THAT BOTHERS ME ABOUT THIS IS THOUGH IS THE COVER UP FOR THE CAUSE OF DEATH. THEY SEEM TO INDICATE THAT IT WAS RELATED TO THE KAWASAKI SYNDROME ,THAT IT MAY HAVE PLAYED A PART. MY GRANDSON HAD THIS SYNDROME 5 YEARS AGO, AFTER HEARING SO MUCH ABOUT JETT MY DAUGHTER IS SO SCARED AND WORRIED THAT THIS MIGHT HAPPEN TO HER SON. KAWASAKI SYNDROME IS VERY RARE, 9 IN 100,000 CHILDREN CONTACT IT. THEY DON'T KNOW FOR SURE HOW THEY GET IT. THE MEDICINE THAT IS GIVEN TAKES 8 HOURS ON A DRIP, AND COST $9,000. HE IS FINE NOW, HE GETS HIS EYES AND HEART CHECKED TWICE A YEAR. IT DID NOT LEAVE ANY LASTING EFFECTS. SO IF YOU HAVE OR KNOW A CHILD THAT HAD THIS SYNDROME AND IT WAS IT WAS TREATED, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. IT WON'T CAUSE YOUR CHILD DEATH YEARS LATER.

2083 days ago

Penny

It is sad when ANYONE loses a child, not just the Travolta's/Preston's. It is a terrible tragedy no matter what the cause and this is truly one of those occasions. However, it is very curious that as many have pointed out, this 16 year old needed 2 nannies, a baby monitor, and door chimes on the bathroom. Obvioulsy there was something wrong with him that required this level of supervision (and probably not just Kawasaki's disorder.) It truly would be an injustice if the belief of non-belief in modern medicine could have prevented this death. If that is the case, it is negligence in the worst way, and time that this fanatical group be accountable.

2083 days ago

Isabella Darwin

@ JJ

Your slanderous comment has no place here. And it just proves my point even further. I suggest you reconsider your comment, especially since it illuminates your stupidity. American Birth Certificate - Check. American SSN - Check. American Drivers License - Check. American Passport - Check.

Treason: 1. the offense of acting to overthrow one's government or to harm or kill its sovereign. 2. a violation of allegiance to one's sovereign or to one's state. (Nowhere in my comment)

Whore: 1. a woman who engages in promiscuous sexual intercourse, usually for money; prostitute; harlot; strumpet. (Something you could hardly have a clue about, since you don't know me, but I am happily married thank you)

Eurotrash: any rich socialite from Europe who lives or works in the US. (Obviously, since I am an American living in Europe, this sobriquet cannot apply to me)

You should think before you speak.. or at least consult a dictionary before you start applying labels to someone.

2083 days ago

Amy Sue

What a sad story. I feel sorry for the family and the child.

But I was thinking, IF the child was autistic, and the family admitted to it, just think of ALL the good that would have come out of them acknowledging the fact. His name alone would bring in more money and research to help find a cure for this disease. Think of all the good they could have done all these years to help themselves and others. It is nothing to be embarrassed about. Unless of course their "religion" wouldn't let me admit to it.

My thoughts are with them.

2082 days ago

Tim

My thoughts and prayers go out to John, and his entire family. I can relate to being with a loved one that has siezures. Its a never ending job, but one that must always be done! no if ands or butts. you always think, is this the day, something out of the norm might happen? All kinds of thoughts, are always running through your mind. Its really tuff. God bless there family. I think this is far too strong a family, to let it pull them dowm. As my mother always said....this to, believe it or not, will pass. Very sorry.

2082 days ago

Valet Ministry

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family> Please have faith that you will get through this, and hold tight to your family and faith. Many condolences and prayers. Bless the Travolta family & keep them our heavenly father.

2082 days ago

NoStress

Stop making this about religion. A family has lost their son!!! Do you people have no shame???

My heartfelt condolences go out to the Travolta family during this very difficult time.

2082 days ago

girl_who_loves_apatow

How selfish of John and Kelly to let their "religion" stop them from getting Jett the medical treatment he truly deserved. A baby monitor, a door chime and two nannies DO NOT constitute for proper medicine and therapy! Kawasaki syndrome, my ass. Just by looking at the footage of Jett, you could tell that there was something very, very wrong with this boy. I teach preschool, and have worked with moderately autistic children before. Jett was at least moderately autistic; he almost looked mentally retarded. Meanwhile, Mr. and Mrs. Scientology, at the prospect of looking like losers to the rest of their whackjob religion, just sweep that poor kid under the rug, along with two nannies. Then they exploit Jett by claiming he has some obscure disease, instead of admitting the truth and helping him. If the Travoltas could afford all those nannies and all those beachfront homes in the Bahamas, think of the top-notch care, medicine and behavioral therapy they could've afforded their son!!!! You know, at first I was very sympathtic and sad when I heard the news initially, but with all these details coming out, any grief I have is turning into disbelief and anger.

2082 days ago

chocolateladi_06

that is not rite that you guys will say mean things about this family at this point of time,,,,,,my the lord be with you and have mercy on your soul for you not know what you do....that so wrng...but my heart really goes out to you i just lost a friend only 19 was found dead in the bathroom of his girlfriend house from a heart attack.....stay strong and knw that the lord has him in a better place they will take care of eachother and one day we will get to see them again
peace and love....stay strong...

2082 days ago

kat

So sorry for your lost,i know exactly what your going through,i lost my baby,he was 26 but always my baby ! Dec.31rst was his 2nd year in Heaven,we will all have the biggest hole in our hearts till we meet them again in Heaven.All i wanted to do was die with him,cause how could i live without him,i had to think about my child that was alive here and now,that's the only way that i rose above leaving with him.I miss him so ! God be with you and you are in my prayers.Godbless !

2082 days ago

orange

I felt so sad about the the news of the death of Jett. I can't imagine myself if it happens to my daughter, also 16 years old, with heart ailment where in the right ventricle does't close completely evrytime her heart pumps. That's why she' tires easily. I can't afford even at least one nanny to look after her while I'm out working being a single parent of three. I can't even sustain the maintenance medicines she should be taking regularly because what I'm earning is not enough for our daily living. Being a 54 years old mom who had a stroke last April 17, 2005 who needs medicines also for maintenance, I'm not as active as before i had a stroke. When my head aches so terribly, i can't work anymore. My concern all the time is for my sick daughter who is so bright in her school. I can't forget the day when the school principal called my attention and told me that I have a gifted child who was then 10 years old at that time. This was known by the school personnels when all the students in the school took up an IQ & AQ examinations, she topped for a VERY SATISFACTORY grade. Next student from her rank is number 9 already. Meaning to say, there is no number 2-8 student after her. Then the school principal tried to give her another set of exams for high school level and she got even higher points than the previous test given. They tried to give another set again, this time for college level, she got VERY SATISFACTORY again. I don't want to think that Jett's fate will happen to my daughter I'm afraid when i learned of the death of Jett. I don't want that to happen to my child. I have a high hope that God will heal her ailment even if i can't afford the provisions Mr. John Travolta had given his son Jett. While typing this comment, i can't hold the tears of grief for Jett's death and for the fear for the ailment of my daughter. Even if I want to be with my daughter 24/7, i can't, because I have to earn a living. It's good that the lessor/s (husband & wife) of the apartment we are renting are so kind -hearted that they allow us to stay even if we can't pay our rent on time. Maybe it's hard to believe but the couple requires me to pay when I'm able though I'm so embarrassed already. I'm blessed with many good people like them who understands our situation. I admire Mr. John Travolta more than ever when i imagine him tryng his best to bring his son to life. But God, please don't let that happen to my daughter for I can't do what Mr. Travolta did trying to bring back his son to life thru CPR because it's bad for my health condition to at least stoop my head down. To Mr. & Mrs. John Travolta, my deepest & sincerest condolences.

2082 days ago

proudmommy

MY HEART AND MY PRAYERS GOES OUT TO THE TRAVOLTA FAMILY.........
NOW.....TO ALL U SICKO IDIOTS WHO HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN PUT A MAN DOWN WHO JUST RECENTLY LOST HIS SON.....WHAT DOES IT MATTER TO U, WHICH RELIGION HE CHOSE TO FOLLOW....WHAT DOES IT MATTER TO U WHY HIS CHILD HAD TWO NANNIES, A BABY MONITOR OR A CHIME ON HIS DOOR....WHAT DOES IT MATTER TO U IF HE WAS HIDING THE FACT THAT HIS CHILD WAS AUTISTIC.....?????? I HAVE A NEPHEW WHO IS AUTISTIC...DOES HE HAVE SEIZURES NO.......i HAD A FATHER WHO HAD SEIZURES AND WAS ON MEDICATIONS TO HELP STOP THE SEIZURES ....DID IT STOP THEM....NO......
WHY DON'T U STAND IN THIS MAN'S SHOES FOR A DAY AND SEE HOW IT FEELS TO WATCH UR SON DIE IN FRONT OF U AND TRY ALL U CAN DO TO REVIVE HIM AND IT NOT WORK....TRY BEING IN HIS SHOES AND SEE HOW IT FEELS TO LOSE A CHILD.....JUST BECAUSE HIS RELIGION IS DIFFERENT FROM OURS DIDN'T MAKE HIM DIFFERENT FROM US...HE IS HUMAN AND HE DOES HAVE A HEART AND THE MAN AND HIS WIFE JUST LOST THEIR ONLY SON....INSTEAD OF PUTTING HIM DOWN...WHY DON'T U OPEN UR DAMN HEART AND SEE JUST HOW HE REALLY FEELS....THIS IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD....PEOPLE LIKE YOU......REMEMBER THIS.....GOD DOESN'T JUDGE U.....OR ANYONE ELSE.....SO WHO GIVES YOU THE RIGHT TO JUDGE JOHN AND HIS WIFE.......MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU JOHN AND KELLY.....MAY GOD BE WITH U AND YOUR FAMILY AT THIS TIME....

2082 days ago

ABBAS

Dear John,
this really hit me hard, the loss of your child is not just your loss, but a loss for all you fans all over the world.
May God rest your angel son's soul in heaven, and give you and your wife the strength to carry on.

2082 days ago
Previous 15 Comments | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments