Travolta's Son -- Fatal Blow to Head

1/3/2009 2:36 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned what may have killed Jett Travolta, and it's not what police have suggested.

We've spoken with John Travolta's lawyer and close friend, Michael McDermott, and family attorney Michael Ossi, both of whom are with John in the Bahamas. They tell TMZ it appears Jett's fatal injury was the result of hitting his head on the bathtub, toilet seat, or both. And they say the intimation that Jett went undiscovered for hours is absolutely false.

Police have said the last time anyone saw Jett was when he went to the bathroom on January 1. His body was discovered by nanny Jeff Kathrein the next day at 10 AM. In fact, McDermott and Ossi say it appears Jett went back and forth to his room and the fatal injury occurred "very shortly" before Jett was found on the bathroom floor -- McDermott called it a "small window of time."

McDermott and Ossi tell us two nannies were present on the trip and Jeff was by his side 24/7. There was a baby monitor device by Jett's side and there was also a chimer in the bathroom when the door opened.

McDermott and Ossi say it is still unclear if Jett fell to the floor as a result of a seizure or if he had a seizure after falling or slipping. There was blood on the floor of the bathroom, but "not a tremendous amount." It appears the striking of Jett's head was the cause of death, though it won't be clear until the autopsy is performed Monday morning.

Jett's body will be embalmed Monday afternoon. There will be a local showing on Tuesday and later that day the body will be flown to Ocala, Fla. for burial.

McDermott says both John and Kelly are night owls. John often goes to sleep at around 5 AM. But McDermott says both nannies were at the hotel and Jeff always present.

McDermott tells us a hotel manager was first on scene with Jeff and the two of them administered CPR. John came in shortly thereafter and John took over for a "substantial period of time [and] was performing CPR and continued that until EMT came and took over."

McDermott says as for Travolta and Preston, the pain is "unimaginable and unquantifiable."

UPDATE: The Grand Bahamas health minister confirms that the autopsy will be conducted by two pathologists to ensure a proper evaluation has been made. A clinical and forensic pathologist from Nassau, that is U.S. certified, will fly into Grand Bahama on Monday to help perform the autopsy.

ppoohpoohbear@aol.com-Kitty Rose

Dear JOHN AND KELLY AND FAMILY -So very sorry to hear about youur recent tragedy.No one knows what it 's like to have a disabled child except a parents love and dedication. From the day that they are born till the day they join our angeles -NO ONE KNOWS --dedication, sacrafices,sadness and happiness, burden and guilt-sleepless nights and worry 24/7 IT,S A NONE STOP JOB -DAY IN AND DAY OUT - Never a break and lets not forget Fear-fear of a parents worst nightmare and the unknown. Everyday 24/7 and last but not least all the dreams we wanted for our children that could'nt be because of illness. As parents we can only do the best we can-pray and cry our silent tears but no other would know this but a PARENT! Obviously, JEFF was very lucky to have such Special parents in his life.There's no doubt he Was LOVED very much by you and kelly and was truly blessed--Someone once said "NO REGRETS ONLY BLESSINGS"!! iF YOU LOOK AT IT THAT WAY YOU WILL GET THROUGH IT. My deepest sympathy and prayers to all of you. Ppoohpoohbear@aol.com (Kelly Rose)

Ellen

It's very possible that the Travolta's had extra precautions taken because they are celebrities. It's also possible that their son had a disability of some type, but it wouldn't be completely unusual for a teenager to go to bed in the late evening and not be up bright and early. I know that I don't repeatedly check on my teenager during the night at home. I don't think most people do. The article states that he had been back and forth to the bathroom since he had been "last seen", which meant that he had been monitored. Obviously there was concern at the time that he was checked on. Accidents happen. I can't see how any of this is related to Scientology or any kind of other sensationalist idea. It's a very tragic event for a family who kept their children out of the spotlight.

liz c.

My thoughts and prayers go out to your family, John, Kelly, and Ella. Some people say things they don't understand.
I have a 21 year old son with Down syndrome, and he is like an angel, so full of love. I gave up my acting career to take care of him, and became a nurse, and would do the same again. I couldn't imagaine the pain of losing a child no ,matter what the reason. God bless you and your family, and know that Jett is in a better place.
sincerely,
Libby Carlson, RN

why?

Is Jett wearing eye liner?

Laurie

Dear John And Kelly,
I am so sorry for your loss. I have a 36 year old son that lives in Jacksonville Florida. He comes home to Atlanta about every three or four weeks for a week-end. On Sunday morning when he goes back home I cry. I hate the fact that he does not live by me anymore. I can't begin to feel your loss. My heart breaks for the both of you. I will keep you in my daily prayers. I do hope your religon has a higher power than L.Ron. I don't know what I would do without my catholic up bringing. Faith is what a person lives by. It is what gets us through the rough times. I pray you find peace. I know how hard it would be to bury a child. No parent should ever have to go through that. God Speed!!
God Bless you and your family
Laurie

Innocent

Why was Jett last seen going to the bathroom Thursday but was not found until Friday already dead? Now John and Kelly's lawyers are on turbo damage control saying Jett may have died in John's arms? The reports that Jett had a caretaker, and baby monitors screams Autism, not "Kawasaki disease" which is usually found in Asian baby boys. The travoltas say that they recently took Jett off the seizure meds and he then began having a serious seizure a week after that. Seems to me that along with they were conveniently in the area where so many other people have died and it has never been found out why (think Anna Nicole smith) makes this whole thing more tragic because of the uneasy fishyness most people are feeling about this. Scientology kills. Hope this makes other cult members take notice.

WANDA PETERSON

It is unfortunate that all the people posting here are not sympathetic to the fact that 2 parents just lost their child and are grieving terribly, regardless of whether they are scientoligist or not, they have lost their son and the pain is unbearable for them and they should be allowed the courtesy and respect to grieve without the negative comments people are posting. My prayers go out to all of the people who knew and loved Jett and to John and Kelly who will be going through the hardest time in their life. Losing a child is something you never get over and your life changes forever and may God bless them through this terrible ordeal.

mary ann

my deepest sympathy to the travolta family, i am so sad for you....................

freebryd

I cannot believe the ppl here who want to BLAME religion, or the parents for the death of the child. Those of you who are questioning the monitors, chimes, etc. Could it be that they are celebrities and have protection against predators or kidnappers? Maybe this is just a terrible accident. Our prayers and hearts should go out to the family left behind instead of trying to pin this on something else, afterall we do live in a country that has freedom of religion as one of it's most basic rights. Lets wait and see rather than assume and blame.

SLR

Condolences to the family. I vividly remember seeing John Travolta in the movie "The Boy in the Plastic Bubble" when I was in Jr High. I was awe struck at his performance in that movie. Something, isn't it, that he ends up having a child who need medical attention after portraying that role in the movie. I know its not the same, but maybe it gave John the compassion to deal with his son's health issues. RIP, Jett.

Tia

My condolences to the Travolta family. God must have really needed another angel. to you basher's you should be ashamed of yourselves! you don't know what it's like for them. God don't like ugly. Judge not lest ye be judged.

Barb D.

I would like to say how sorry I am. My daughter passed away 7 years ago and still can't get over it. It takes time and when God gives you lemons I make lemonade and I make lots of it. If you need anything or want to talk I am here for you. You can always call me or write me. Losing a child is the hardest things we have eery gone thru and it hurts so bad and your heart feels so heavy like something grabbed you and won't let go. Our daughter Janice was awesome and died at the age of 32 from cancer (a very rare case of cancer) not the same as you but a child has been taken from us and the pain is horrific but just wanted to say I am thinking of you and your family and God Bless all of you in this time of sorry. remember the goods things about Jett. I am here for you, please remember that even though you don't know me. Barb

Apricot

My heart is breaking for the Travolta family. As a parent, it's unimaginable to even think of such a thing. They are living a nightmare. My deepest sympathy goes out to them.

Terri

Why do people feel the need to point fingers at the Travolta's at a time like this? Let them grieve in peace. No one has the right to judge them...they obviously loved Jett very much and I can't even begin to imagine the pain and suffering they are going through. Leave them alone.

2059 days ago

Becky

My deepest sympathy and prays go out to your family. A parent should never have to face a child going ,before them.
Be Strong and God Bless Your Family.

2059 days ago
Previous 15 Comments | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments