Travolta Suspect Resigns

1/24/2009 1:10 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Sen, Pleasent BridgewaterOne of the three people charged with trying to extort money from John Travolta has resigned.

Sen. Pleasant Bridgewater has tendered her resignation from Parliament today, releasing the following statement:

"Yesterday, 23rd January is a day that will live in my memory as a nightmare. In my capacity as a lawyer, I acted within the bounds of the law and within the bounds of my ethical responsibility to my profession. How these innocent actions can be so misconstrued, so perversely twisted to mean something other than it was, is a mystery.

I assure the Bahamian people of my complete and total innocence and I am satisfied that when the full story comes out that I shall be fully vindicated. I will then take all appropriate and lawful actions for redress and to protect my good name.

I have spoken to the leader of our Party the Rt. Honourable Perry Christie. I have told him that while I am completely innocent, that I believe that while I fight these untrue and unfair charges that I should not put the Party through this ordeal. I have thereby indicated that I will resign from the Senate with immediate effect so that I can devote my full energies to the legal battle which now faces me.

I want to thank the Leader for his confidence in me and for allowing me the privilege of serving the country and the PLP. I want to thank the wonderful people of the Marco City Constituency for all their love, encouragement, prayers and support. I thank all people of goodwill who have sent words of encouragement. I thank my family and my counsel for all of their assistance. I am unbowed and I fully intend to fight so that I shall be vindicated. Please continue to pray for me."

why?

THIS IS SAD, AND I HOPE AND PRAY THERE IS NOT A DIRTY DOG OUT IN THE WORLD LOW ENOUGH TO USE A YOUNG MAN'S DEATH TO PROFIT.

2015 days ago

Trophy wife Slim and Trim!!!!

I can tell this B!TCH is guilty just by looking at her... What the F did they do anyhow?

God bless!

oh yaaaaaaaaaaa

gee, I wonder what the evidence is?, must have something pretty conclusive, who would b sooooooo stupid??? doesn't make sense tht people think they could possible get away with it!! strange, will b interesting to hear more facts.....

gomyskins47

Yeah honey, I will pray for you, pray for you to go to HELL!!

ozzman

jackass...

Angie

I doubt the truth will ever come out. Everything that happened in the Bahamas after Anna Nicole Smith's death proved what a shady government they have there. There is no line between celebrities and politicians there at all.

lukebandit

what is wrong with Aruba and the Bahamas and all this drama? Government corruption, greed and murder coverup. the specialty of the islands. kidnap, rape, dump body in the ocean, Aruban police cover it up. bahamas, anna nicole smith and all that drama. now poor jett. the pictures of jett that they are showing him with the hat with the flaps over his ears, and him smiling, that is such a good picture and i love the picture of john putting his head on his chest and jett with his hand on john's head and him kissing him. what a beautiful picture. and i also love the family picture everyone dressed up with john and jett in a suit and tie. it is great.
i hope if they actually did something wrong, i hope they go to jail.

Ms_Tell_It_Like_It_Is

Hmm... much ado, but so far we know NOTHING of what it is about.

Don't be so naive

She's full of crap. If she was innocent she wouldn't have resigned so fast.

mazdog

this is the Scientology spin machine at work full force......if you cross the 'church' they come back at you HARD and obviously for a politician allegations can be more damaging than the TRUTH.

Scientology killed Jett!

westendgrandbahamaresident

Many of the comments posted on this site hit the nail on the head. Your perceptions of how corrupt the Bahamas Government officials are to be commended. Many of the comments are from Americans and I say that you all have spoken with wisdom. There are some pretty dumb people who live in my country who will go to any length to make a buck. I say to all keep letting the world know what you think and say what is on your mind. You all have no idea what is really about to happen in this country to expose more corruption than you could ever imagine. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Keep it coming!

Bahama Resident

With respect to the anna nicole case, that was the PLP government and thats why we voted them out! This woman and Obie are also apart of that former Government. The Bahamas is under a new government the FNM and should be judged by the actions of the PLP members. We the people of The Bahamas for the most part, respect and love everyone and their privacy. You can not judge us by the unfortunate actions of some. It is sad the people will only hear about their country in the US when it comes to the bad things that happen. Whith all due respect there may not be much here in comparison, but we are a respectful country and God fearing. I can only say that I hope for the best in this case and the Justice will be served.

Mom in Evans

There are some low down, dirty dogs in this world, and I think that you are looking at some of them now. How can you claim to be a 'family friend', and then do something like this. If this is true, these people deserve whatever they get, and then some.

fixwing

This somehow suprises you? Look who the suspects are.
Nothing suprises me from these people.

Dan

What a piece of ****.. I hope this lady gets the book thrown at her. Better year, here's hoping she's gang-raped in prison when she's convicted.

ee if anyone will pray for you then. Pleasant is her first name? If that isn't an oxymoron, I don't know what is...

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments