Lynyrd Skynyrd Keyboardist Dies

1/28/2009 12:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Lynyrd Skynyrd KeyboardistBilly Powell -- the former Lynyrd Skynyrd roadie-turned-keyboardist -- died early Wednesday morning in Jacksonville, Florida.

Powell was 56.

The band posted the following note on their website:

A Great Loss -- Beloved Pianist for the Lynyrd Skynyrd Band, Billy Powell, passed away last night. We will post more info shortly. The family and band request your respect and understanding during this difficult time. Thank you.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

soccermadre

So very sad. So young.

2007 days ago

Trophy wife Slim and Trim!!!!

Jade

So sad. A truly great talent. I just saw them in August on the Rock n Rebels tour with Kid Rock. He did an intro to Freebird that was amazing. Thoughts and prayers to his loved ones and friends. You're a Freebird now, Billy.

Anon

This is truly sad! I met this man and his wife a few years ago. They were super friendly and kind. I am hoping he didn't fall off the wagon as I know he had troubles last year. I pray for his wife and kids. RIP Billy.

pattie in cali

REST IN PEACE BILLY, your a good man, enjoyed your music, grew up with your music, GODS PEACE, we will miss you, peace to all . good night BILLY

BeckyBright

It is very painful to lose someone you love. I know God will help them through this. But the JERK that wrote this....................2. How sad for his family.... God forgive me but I wish Wynonna had perished instead of this lovely talented man.... Is a horrible, stuck up piece of crap and should not be allowed to post anything on a public site. And we wonder how our kids are growing up so heartless??
Well exibit one ........and I rest my case.

Bex

56? That can only mean one thing...drug overdose.

anthonysdreamgirl**

omg, SO SAD> saw them with kid rock this summer...his piano playing was one of the highlights! i get chills thinking about it. RIP!!! :-(

Bex

#7 Becky dimwit...idiots like you, who think someone should be censored because they don't agree with you ,are the ones that need to be banned. People can write whatever the hell they want. Grow up, it's a big world with different views. Get back in your cave.

anthonysdreamgirl**

JEAN SUMMERS - you are such an idiot. who cares?? i was captain four years straight...woop de doo...you do not look good when you post your stupid name, you sound like an ignorant uneducated old bitch who yearns for her high school years and still needs attention. tsk, tsk, so sad. and wow, what a personality - saying you wish someone else dies. you're a joke.

Bex

Wynonna, who? The big fat one doing diet commercials, or the thief?

Tangie

Don't know what to say other than they don't make musicians like this ANYMORE!!! Sorry guys... Even though I know that there are tons of talented musicians out there, this was one of the best, and he is irreplaceable... My prayers and thoughts are with the remaining members and their families.....

litzie

"Sweet Home Alabama"...RIP Billy Powell.

hurl

From the little that is out yet, he apparently had some heart problems and called 911 himself. If that information is true, it seems it is probably a natural death. RIP Billy and condolences to your family, friends and fans.

Lovejac23

Rock on in heaven, Billy! Hug my girl for me! :)

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments