Etta James to Beyoncé:

I'll Whoop Your Ass!

2/4/2009 8:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Etta Goes Off: Click to listenThis is not a joke: 71-year-old Etta James actually threatened to beat the crap out of Beyoncé Knowles -- and it's caught all on tape!

The war is all over Etta's song, "At Last " -- Beyoncé sang the tune at Obama's 1st Inauguration Ball on Jan. 20th ... but last week at a concert in Seattle, James was still pissed.

While on stage, Etta told the crowd, "Your President, the one with the big ears ... he had that woman singing my song. She gone get her ass whipped."

She continued, "The great Beyoncé ... I can't stand Beyoncé," according to audio from Crown City Media.

Ironically Etta didn't kick up this sorta fuss when Beyoncé portrayed her in "Cadillac Records."

Reps for Beyoncé had no comment.

Nicole A,

Etta James needs to get over herself. I'm tired of performers who think no one on earth is more talented then they are. While I can sing "At Last" better then Beyonce, I still like her and I think she is one of the hardest working women in showbiz.

kk..yUP

WAt iS EVERyONES PROBLEM..ITS NOt A COMPEtitiON.! iF SHE HAD BEEF FROM thEE BEGiNNiNG SHE SHOULDA SAiD SuMTHiN!!
&& SERiOUSLy..SHE NEEDS tO GROW UP..A FREAkkiN 71 yr old woman..gettin mad over sumthin so DUMB!

i DONt CARE..i GOt BEyONCE'S BACk ON THiS 1..!

PHATT

Come on people, I know that we all like to hear the latest drama, but with so much going on in America this is what we as a people do is down someone who is doing well in life. Mrs. Etta James you are old enough to know better, than to stand before thousands of younger people and say such things like that! What has life taught you? When are you going to grow up? I commend Beyonce for being a great role model to our youth, don't we teach them to be all they can be? Then why put them down when they do! Shame on you Etta James! Shame on you!

Precious

Whatever old lady afterall its not still your song origianally,you also copied it and no said anything,your old and retarded,go rest in peace pls!

doc D

hey tmz this Doc D An i just wanted to leave you with this about the Ms Etta James an Beyonce well It was so Wrong on the Director who Casted her for this movie it SUCKED an I am Sad I wasted my Money well Like Mrs James said that That Beyonce Had No business singing This song She did not do the song or MRS James any Justice An the Other things Is that I hope that Mrs James Do bust Her Foot off in beyonces ass Because Beyonce Needs to stop singing an go be a mother or something else WERE Are The Real Singers Like Beyonces Sister She Has Raw Talent I have see her sister sing with no Mic An damm it was goooooooooood So with that said Beyonce Go get a job writing songs or at taco bell an Mrs James Please Dont stop Singing we love u an we need real singers like you an owe please make sure that u Bust Youre Foot Off IN that Girls ass. Doc D

Ree

ACTUALLY, ETTA DID SAY THESE THINGS ABOUT CADILLAC RECORDS. I WENT TO A CONCERT OF HERS WHEN THEY WERE STILL FILMING THE MOVIE OVER A YEAR AGO, AND SHE WAS PISSED THAT THEY ASKED BEYONCE TO PLAY HER, CAUSE SHE DIDN'T FEEL BEYONCE HAD THE CHOPS TO DO HER SONGS JUSTICE. I KNEW THIS STORY WOULD GET OUT SOONER OR LATER.

dablueshound

I've seen Etta so many times. She's the best. As to whomever called her "old" she has a young heart and young mind. Anyone who's seen her randy shows and thinks she's "old." better explain what's old.

Love ya Etta!

MayQueen3

I think Etta James ought to be ashamed of herself for making such horrible comments.
about another african american woman & our President

Etta James is acting like a spoiled rotten DIVA who has passed her prime.
Fact: Ms. James is an artist who made wonderful contributions to music
for us all to enjoy. Beyonce has done the same & still doing it Ms. James
should be more positive & mature I am very disappointed in hear and
to put it frankly I no longer care for her to much now behing this.

Beyonce did a wonderful job portraying her in the movie Cadilac Records
and you did not hera 1 negative peep out of Ms. James while all the publicity
was going on about the film. Now this, ....Ms. James YOU just let the world know
how pathetic and immature you really are!

jeanie

Etta was great in her day but it's time for her to move over. Instead of being gracious that her song was chosen and sung by on of the top vocalist of the day she chose to show her ass. By the way, did anyone see Beyonce in Dream Girls. FAB! Plus, she has an all girl band. Which is also way cool.

Carolyn

Etta James is a bitter old woman who can't stand CHANGE. It's time for her to turn over the reins to the younger generation. She should just go out quietly. NO BE SO BITTER.

carlea07

Etta is stronger vocally, no question. I can understand her being upset with Obama for dissin her, and for Beyonce for messing up her song. Beyonce has her talents, mainly booty shaking, but she is not strong enough to pull off some of the songs she tries to sing, At Last being one of them. She should stick to Pop and catchy dance songs...like that whacked Single Ladies...

Rebecca

HER song? Whatever, Etta James wasn't even the first to sing that song. Everyone just remembers it as "her" song. It was originally written for a musical and performed by Glenn Miller with an orchestra, and vocals were done by Pat Friday and Ray Elberle then Nat King Cole covered it, then Etta James covered it, Celene Dion Covered it, then Beyonce covered it. It went through TWO stages before she even touched the song. What Etta did was classless, and very very distasteful. Lots of people cover songs, and even the original artists never stir up such a fuss. Tacky, that's all I can say about that audio. Beyonce was nothing but kind and graceful when she sang the song at a recent awards show and reminded the entire audience of what a classic Etta is. She gets repayed with rude vulgar comments, isn't that nice? How tacky.

kay stephens

Etta, you are such an ungrateful biatch!!!
Not to mention a moron. The prez would have had Beyonce sang...she is one of his favorites...your song that Beyonce redid was just opportune because the movie is out!! Get a life!! Stop being a meal old hag!!

Ice

All of you guys are just hateing on my girl Beyonce! Y,all are pissed because black folks still can do it better! Ain't that right Macain. The girl is hot and can blow,and any way i thought Etta was dead from all those drugs she done! Get over it old fort she song your song and did it better,now sit your dusty ass down somewhere.

Buster Highman

What's Ettas problem? She should be grateful people are playing her music. Recently the local jazz radio station held a benefit for her because she was $40,000.00 behind on her mortgage and about to lose her house.