Etta -- "At Last" She's Been Exposed as Hypocrite

2/5/2009 1:35 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

If Etta James thinks she should beat down Beyonce for covering "her song," then by her own logic, Etta has a couple of ass-kickings coming her way too -- 'cause Etta's version of "At Last" was a cover too!

Etta James
Etta went on stage in Seattle last week and told the crowd she's gonna lay the smack down on B for "singin' my song" at Obama's Inauguration Ball. But not only did the 71-year-old not write the song, she wasn't even the first -- or second -- to record it!

Glenn Miller did it first in 1942, followed by Nat King Cole in 1957. Etta got around to recording it in 1961. In fact, Glenn's version ranked higher on the Billboard Pop Singles chart than Etta's ever did.

FYI -- neither Miller nor Cole ever threatened to beat Etta's ass -- although it's about time someone knocks some sense into that lady.

Etta James Audio

Previous 15 Comments | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

fatu sankoh

OLD LADY ETTA JAMES SHAME ON YOU FOR HATTING ON OUR BEY FOR YOUR OWN GAIN I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD IF IS NOT FOR THE TALENTED BEYONCE FOR SINGING THAT SONG SO AMAZINGLY I WILL HAVE NEVER KNOWN ABOUT YOU YOU JUST JOLUSE BETTER OLDY LADY THAT BEYONCE DID THE SOND BETTER THAN YOU SHAME ON YOU BEYONCE GIVES YOU SO MUCH LOVE AND ALSO YOU NOT JOCKING AT ALL WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT HER THAT IS WHAT YOU GOT FOR BEING A HATE MONGER BAD HEARTED YOU HAVE TO LIVE WITH THAT

2028 days ago

fatu sankoh

GOD BLESS OUR BEY YOU SING THE SONG BETTER THAN THAT OLD LADY WHICH I THOUGHT SHE WAS DEAD

2028 days ago

Robin

No offense to her, but it is 2009, and many people wouldn't even know who Etta James is if it weren't for the Cadillac Records movie. Furthermore, Etta's version of the song has enjoyed a recent increase in sales thanks to Beyonce's having covered it.

2027 days ago

Robin

To the dummy who said white people don't call each other "crackers": WRONG. White people are the ones who came up with ALL of the racist terms, including "cracker".

2027 days ago

Duchess

What a sad commentry!

NO ONE can sing "At Last" like Etta James, whether she was the third, fourth or fifth to sing it. Beyonce did an excellent job.. and in doing so, paid Etta James the highest compliment...or so I thought.
I wonder how Ms. James feels about the movie??

2026 days ago

rapitt2

After the movie, I personally bought several CD's by Etta James. I like her old fashioned voice.
{personally don't care for Beyonce} and I plan to buy several more of Etta. I was very disappointed in her
mean remarks tho to Beyonce. I bet this time the tongue was wagging before the brain engaged. Give Etta a break.
She made a mistake. At least she coughed up the crow feathers before they dried.
Let's move on.............