Jackie Mason: Obama's a "Schwartza"

3/15/2009 2:35 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jackie MasonComedian Jackie Mason used what some say is a racial epithet in describing President Barack Obama during his act Thursday night, infuriating at least several people in the crowd.

During a performance at Feinstein's at Loews Regency in NYC, Mason referred to Obama as a "schwartza" -- some say it's equivalent to the "N" word -- others say it's just part of the Yiddish culture and a literal translation of the word "Black."

We're told one person walked out fuming, "He's more offensive to the Jews than Madoff tonight."

We spoke with Mason by phone a few minutes ago, and he was outraged at the criticism, saying, "I'm not going to defend myself. Chris Rock has told a lot more jokes about whites than I have against Blacks. What about the demeaning words Blacks say about Jews?"

Mason added, "If it's a racist society, the white people are the ones being persecuted because they have to defend themselves." Mason called people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson "professional racists."

Mason added, "I'm an old Jew. I was raised in a Jewish family where 'schwartza' was used. It's not a demeaning word and I'm not going to defend myself."

And there was this parting shot: "I'm more talented than Oprah Winfrey and look at how much she makes. I can't even make a living."

UPDATE:
Rev. Al Sharpton just sent us this statement:

"At this stage in Jackie's life and career he should get our prayers more than our responses. It is sad that maybe he forgot he used the same term against Mayor David Dinkins when he was elected the first African-American Mayor of New York City and got in trouble for it. As for him attacking me, maybe he forgot that he has had me on his TV show and has taken me to dinner and commended me for forgiving a white male who tried to kill me by stabbing me while I was leading a non-violent march. I'm sure Jackie just forgot."

Lee

Jackie: This isn't the first time you've made offensive, racist remarks. Just because your racist parents used this word in your home when you were growing up doesn't mean it is acceptable to use the word 60 years later -- and especially on stage! Wake up.. There are words that were used in society a mere 15 years ago that are just not acceptable today. And as for your comparison with Oprah: She has more talent in her pinky than you ever will have in your entire body. Don't blame her because your career is in the toilet; blame yourself and your BIG MOUTH. Face it: You're a washed-up, irrelevant has-been. It is time for you to retire. Go sit on the beach in Boca with your kind..

So you ACT like you're all self righteous yet you tell him to go and sit on a beach in Boca with HIS kind. WTF? Do you even realize how stupid you sound to everybody?

Raven

Why does every ignorant non-black person always throw out the tired "what about BET, Black colleges and universities, Black HIstory month, Miss Black America " rant? Don't you people know anything about the historical contexts of these institutions? They weren't created yesterday or 5 years ago. Think about it. They were created out of necessity, at times when blacks weren't seen anywhere on entertainment television, when they couldn't enter any national colleges or universities, when their history wasn't at all acknowleged in textbooks, when no black woman was allowed to enter any national beauty pageant...Are you just as outraged about telemundo or all-women's colleges and universities?

yessir

"I did not move any of your words around. "

For the second time you altered/ edited my statement completely changing its meaning. either you're an idiot and can't read. or dishonest and wanted to purposefully misrepresent my statements. either way shame on you.

"Sorry but I have to leave. I do have a life.

I hope you find peace in your life and stop blaming other.

Have a great day.

Peace - Out"

good riddance. and I hope you'll stop ignorantly stereotyping people. no where have i blamed anyone for anything. stop the stereotyping. open you eyes and realize people are not the ignorant stereotypes you believe.

bob noboby

DO YOU HEAR THAT BIG SUCKING NOISE COMING FROM 1600 PENNSYLVANIA AV THAT'S ARE TAX $$$$ GOING DOWN THE DRAIN !! THANKS OBAMA !!! I'LL BE ON WELFARE SOON TOO !!! & GOVT CAN PAY FOR HOUSE TOO !!
YOURS TRULY !!
US TAXPAYER !!!

yessir

"here are no channels that blatantly say "White" "

of course not. just because something does not blatantly say WET doesn't mean it isn't in practice.

Bex

Well, I guess we all know Obama is black, so what was the joke? Obviously, it was meant to offend.

toofastforyou!

I TELL YOU,I LOVE JACKIE!!!

Eric

AS AN AFRICAN AMERICAN, I SAY SO WHAT. I AM NOT OFFENDED. IF SOMEONE WHERE TO CALL ME THAT, I WOULDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT MEANT. HE IS OLD, I GIVE OLD PEOPLE A LITTLE MORE SLACK, NO MATTER WHAT COLOR THEY ARE. THEY ARE OLD AND CAN'T CHANGE. I AM NOT AN AL SHARPTON FAN BY NO MEANS, BUT I MUST SAY, HIS STATEMENT ABOUT THE WHOLE THING IS GREAT! LET IT GO PEOPLE. THIS OLD JEWISH MAN HAS TO EARN HIS LIVING SOMEHOW. I HAD AN 87 YEAR OLD WHITE MAN TELL ME "IF HE COULD HE WOULD BUY ME", HE REALLY MEANT IT HAS A COMPLIMENT. NOW IF THAT WAS SOMEONE YOUNGER, I WOULD HAVE CUSSED THEM OUT, BUT HE OLD. I LET IT GO, WE SHOULD LET THIS ONE GO.

LDD

OK.. so now that we are on the race topic, did you notice how both WHOOPY GOLDBERG and the other black lady on the view STOOD UP FOR CHRIS BROWN... after he beat rihanna,/.... sherry sherpherd even went one step farther to say THEY SHOULD GET BACK TOGETHER.. and if he does it AGAIN then LEAVE HIS ASSS.. UMMM ?!??! I bet if that was a white woman being beat by a man, they would curse him up and down!!!!! WHITE OR BLACK OR PURPLE after a beating, that would be the end of it for me!!! GOD...

yessir

Exactly, they point to HBCUs a HISTORICALLY black college or university. and completely leave out why its HISTORICALLY black. because HISTORICALLY blacks were excluded from schools. they point to BET and completely gloss over the fact that there are dozens of shows such has Friends who don't represent blacks. so if blacks want to be represented they have to create a channel to do that.

Big e

this is the problem in america. White people have committed unspeakable racist and hateful crimes over history... and they never are regretful. A they say is "get over it" They want people to just forget and act like they are not evil spirited people historically. If blacks had run this country into the hole it is in, there would be so much hate talk all over from whites.. Let's analyze if you were treated as blacks have been for yrs and let me know how much you would want to love and get over it.. Mason is a typical Jew racist. Chris Rock's jokes are 100% the truth, that is why he is so successful. Your not that good Mason. Don't compare yourself to Rock..

BlackDontCrack

I totally agree with No. 15. This is NOT the first time he spewed hatred and insults at blacks or Obama for that matter. Besides, it's not necessarily the word that's offensive, it's the context that it was most likely used in. And it probably wasn't a joke. He was most likely just venting over the fact that Obama got it. He was one of those, like Jon Voight and others who were totally against Obama, just for being Obama and a black man who was going to get the highest office in the land.

Face it. Mason is a longtime old racist Jew. Period.

One important thing though: I'd like to know if he's still performing at The Regency this week. My boyfriend is a chef there and it sounds to me like Little Jackie needs to have some spit in his food. Maybe then he'll chill, with a little black in him.

Tina

I'm so tired of black people being so sensitive jews had it worse if u disagree brush up on some facts- not to mention chris rock, martin lawrence, dave chappelle and 99% of all other black comedians all do racial jokes use the term cracker and thats accepted- they all do jew jokes and again that is accepted.... but anytime a minor thing happens it's an outrage- if we had a miss. white pagent they would complain, but when they do it it's great- this guy is a comedian and should be taken as that --it the SAME MANNOR AS WHEN rock,lawrence and all other black comedians do, if its ok for 1 race to do so it is good for all races to do so!!!!

1993 days ago

Benita

Schwartza - sounds like the german word Schwarzer - and simply means black man.

1993 days ago

sonny chiba

seriously shut the f up...why is it ok for black comedians to say DUUHHH,WHITE PEOPLE DANCE LIKE THIS OR THEY TALK LIKE THIS..she same chris rock routine comeing out there faces for years,jackie says schvatza or whatever the hell he saud and all hell breaks loose,i have an idea...all white people boycott all black comedians that abuse whites...lets see if they stop complaining then

1993 days ago