Jackie Mason: Obama's a "Schwartza"

3/15/2009 2:35 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jackie MasonComedian Jackie Mason used what some say is a racial epithet in describing President Barack Obama during his act Thursday night, infuriating at least several people in the crowd.

During a performance at Feinstein's at Loews Regency in NYC, Mason referred to Obama as a "schwartza" -- some say it's equivalent to the "N" word -- others say it's just part of the Yiddish culture and a literal translation of the word "Black."

We're told one person walked out fuming, "He's more offensive to the Jews than Madoff tonight."

We spoke with Mason by phone a few minutes ago, and he was outraged at the criticism, saying, "I'm not going to defend myself. Chris Rock has told a lot more jokes about whites than I have against Blacks. What about the demeaning words Blacks say about Jews?"

Mason added, "If it's a racist society, the white people are the ones being persecuted because they have to defend themselves." Mason called people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson "professional racists."

Mason added, "I'm an old Jew. I was raised in a Jewish family where 'schwartza' was used. It's not a demeaning word and I'm not going to defend myself."

And there was this parting shot: "I'm more talented than Oprah Winfrey and look at how much she makes. I can't even make a living."

UPDATE:
Rev. Al Sharpton just sent us this statement:

"At this stage in Jackie's life and career he should get our prayers more than our responses. It is sad that maybe he forgot he used the same term against Mayor David Dinkins when he was elected the first African-American Mayor of New York City and got in trouble for it. As for him attacking me, maybe he forgot that he has had me on his TV show and has taken me to dinner and commended me for forgiving a white male who tried to kill me by stabbing me while I was leading a non-violent march. I'm sure Jackie just forgot."

yessir

"Obama is the WORST President YET!"

I'm not a fan of Obama but he's been in office 2 months. are you serious? you expect someone to cure problems that took years to create in a matter of months. you're a bit ridiculous

Never was a fan of Maya

#76 wrote - So you can make absolute statements about the entire race? wow you are crazy. By that logic I can say you're a mass murderer because of the white races history of genocide i.e. native americans, holocaust, vietnam.
-- Posted at 3:44PM on Mar 15th 2009 by yessir

Well, since you're looking at the "history of genocide" let me point you to more recent events - like the ones in Rwanda and Sudan - or do those atrocities not count because they were, and are, committed by blacks. Yep, that's right, racisim is alive and well... even in Africa.

Tim

What would be the point in calling him that if it just meant he was black? It makes no sense to say Barak is black, because everyone knows that.
He must have been making some other kind of point.

A HUMAN BEING

AND WHO IS THIS OLD GEEZER? WHO THE F@#$%^& CARES!!!! APPERENTLY HE"S STILL LIVING IN THE CAVE MEN YEARS ................F&*(*^&* HIM AND ALL THE OBAMA HATERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LALALALAALLLLLAAAA

He's just another Idiot

Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson are the biggest Racists in America. It's hard to believe they are that dumb every time you see them preenng in front of the TV cameras. They are Media Whores. If Blacks want to do something for themselves, stay in school, stop all the murders, blowing up innocent people in their meth labs and having illigit children. Dictator Obama should take a stand and try to educate the black people and stop stealing all of our money. Hope America lasts the next four years !!!!1 God help us all !

Mr Tudball

I thought Obama was an octaroon?

RedBird

121. this is the problem in america. White people have committed unspeakable racist and hateful crimes over history... and they never are regretful. A they say is "get over it" They want people to just forget and act like they are not evil spirited people historically. If blacks had run this country into the hole it is in, there would be so much hate talk all over from whites.. Let's analyze if you were treated as blacks have been for yrs and let me know how much you would want to love and get over it.. Mason is a typical Jew racist. Chris Rock's jokes are 100% the truth, that is why he is so successful. Your not that good Mason. Don't compare yourself to Rock..

Posted at 4:40PM on Mar 15th 2009 by E

I have white ancestors and native American ancestors. Cherokee to be specific. I guess I should go yell insults at myself in the mirror because my white, Western European ancestors forced my Cherokee ancestors to march on the Trail of Tears. I'm sure this will somehow make my life better.

OR

I can just realize that no one alive today is responsible for the sins of the past and we all have to move on, get over it and make a success of our own lives. Yeah, I think I'll go with getting over it and focusing on making my own life a success. You should try it some time.

ENOUGH OF THIS CRAP

As a child, when I visited my aunt and uncle in the 60's we were driving around Pittsburgh where they lived.
All of a sudden as we are driving my aunt says that words, swharz whatever... my mom told her to be quiet.

...but see my aunt's motto was "If You Don't Have Something Bad To Say About People, Don't Say Anything At All"

THEMOMMA

IT'S A JEWISH WORD ........ GET OVER IT ...... AND I TOTALLY AGREE WITH HIM ......... WHITES ARE THE ONLY RACE THAT AREN'T ALLOWED TO BE RACIST ANYMORE !!!! SO TELL SHARPTON TO GO GET A REAL JOB ........

carol

Jackie Mason is a loud mouthed Jew who never had talent - in the old days or now - that's why he can't make a living.

not a fan

"Sticks and stones"....people
"sticks and stones."

The country is becoming a bunch of crybabies!

lace

and oh yeah im pretty sure it wasnt any Black ppl walking out of that venue...we dont even know what that mess is....we dont know yiddish slang lol. but yeah i stand by my earlier statements.

He's just another Idiot

I am very sorry that I voted for Obama. He makes good speeches but he doesn't know anything about how to run a country. He's the biggest Narcisist since Nixon and Clinton. If he is serious about our economy, he should stop giving expensive dinner parties every night and flying Air Force One somewhere at keast once a week. Between him and Botox Pelosi, I'm afraid America is doomed.

★☆RoXaNnE☆★

HE is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO right!
Black comics can say anything and everything racist about white people and other cultures and its just OK
But,
ONE WHITE comic can say something (racist or not) and they have "PROFESSIONAL RACISTS" to say that its not OK and that the white people are racist and shouldnt even be allowed to perform.
GIVE ME A BREAK!
I am so glad he didnt deny it and didnt go to "rehab" over this..
HE IS RIGHT and those who think he is racist probably sit back and laugh when the black comics make jokes about whites (which some really are funny- but its racist if a white comic says anything in return)
IT IS 2009 I THINK WE HAVE SEEN ENOUGH OF "rev." Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton

Never was a fan of Maya

#82 wrote - Yes segregation, police brutality against blacks (sean bell), Jena 6 was hundreds of years ago LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-- Posted at 3:52PM on Mar 15th 2009 by yessir

Speaking of unjustly accused persons... you left out two very prominent scandals - those of Tawana Brawley and Crystal Gail Mangum (the Duke University lacrosse team rape accuser). Both of these women tried desperately to frame white males for their own troubles and both of these women destroyed the lives of the accused with their tall tales.
It's a two way street, yessir, a two way street. Some people will do (and say) bad things to others, no matter what skin color they are.