« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Angels Pitcher Adenhart Killed After Ball Game

4/9/2009 11:49 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Los Angeles Angels starting pitcher Nick Adenhart was killed in a felony hit-and-run car accident in Fullerton, California early this morning -- hours after he pitched in a game last night.

Nick Adenhart: Click to watch
Cops say someone driving a minivan blew through a red light, causing the Mitsubishi that Adenhart and three others were riding in to hit a light pole. Three of the four people in the Mitsubishi were killed in the crash -- Nick, another man and a woman -- while the fourth person remains in the hospital.

Cops say the person driving the van fled the scene -- but was later caught and charged with felony hit-and-run. The suspect is also being treated for injuries in a local hospital.

We're told one of the other men killed in the crash was also affiliated with the Angels organization.

Nick was 22 years old.

FYI -- Nick pitched his ass off last night, striking out 5 guys in 6 scoreless innings. His performance was hailed by sportswriters as a "brilliant effort by a 22-year-old right-hander making his fourth Major League start."

Story developing...

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

Lanie

To her defense, I don't think she realized the extent of the accident when she was giving her interview. However, she's still a pig-face. Nice nose, Miss Piggy.

1989 days ago

Dave

who are these girls? laughing and smiling while discussing this crash and casually talking about a girl dying? unbelievable...

1988 days ago

Janet

The girl who was driving, Courtney, was a friend of my daughter's and a former neighbor. I am disgusted by the girl in the interview laughing in front of the camera. I pray that Courtney's mom doesn't see this.

1988 days ago

Sad&piSsed

The ass who did this deserves to go 2 jail. Yet another young and great baseball player lost in his prime... he will be truly missed and remembered! R.I.P.

1988 days ago

JP

Geez, it's sad to see how some people are using this tragic incident as a way to vent their racist thoughts. I havent read anywhere about this guy being a supposed illegal. He may be of Latino descent but the largest ethnic group in LA is latino and there are obviously going to be good as well as bad people. For instance, Adenhart's own boss Art Moreno (who paid tribute to him) is Mexican American. My prayers go out to his family.

1988 days ago

Anna

I am angry at the driver who hit and RAN and was probly DRUNK too..AWFUL, sad so very sad and meaningless...3 people dead 4 nothing

1987 days ago

Mike Kemplin

I'm not a Fan of the LA. Angels because I'm a Die Hard Mariner Fan in Seattle. I will have to say Its a sad day for baseball fans around the League. My heart does go out to the fans, family and the LA. Angels. God bless you all

1986 days ago

Elizabet

This is so sad, he was so young...and he didn't deserve to die like that. I feel REALLY bad for his family. Plus, I was a really HUGE fan of the Angels....and Adenhard was my favorite....RIP

1986 days ago

Lisa

It's truly sad to see that this man was out in the street after all the dui records he had on him. I feel that the Judge that allowed him to be free and and the attorneys that represented this man should also be charged for Nick's and all the other deaths in this country. Are laws STINK and they need to be changed. How could criminal attorneys represent delinquents.
Another familys life has been altered while the Judge and attorney that allowed this man free can just go home and sleep at night as if it's not there fault. He need to change are laws and hold others accountable for allowing this SOB out in the streets. To all you that drink and drive, see what has happened here and learn that it to can happen to your family. Stop the o0ver drinking.

1985 days ago