Mel Gibson's Wife

Files for Divorce

4/13/2009 12:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

We've learned Mel Gibson's wife Robyn has just filed legal papers to divorce Mel Gibson, her husband of 28 years, citing "irreconcilable differences." Pretty ironic -- Robyn signed the papers the day before Good Friday.

Mel Gibson

Sources tell us there is no prenuptial agreement -- they were married in 1980, before Mel Gibson amassed a fortune estimated at $900 million back in 2006. Under the laws of California, community property -- which includes earnings -- is divided 50/50.

The Gibsons have 7 children, but only one -- Tom, who turns 10 tomorrow -- is a minor. In Robyn's legal papers, filed this morning in L.A. County Superior Court, she seeks joint physical and legal custody of Tom.

Robyn is also asking for spousal support and attorneys fees.

Robyn lists the date of separation as "to be determined." This is important, because earnings generally cease to be community property when the couple separates. There could be a skirmish over this. We're told the couple grew increasingly apart over the last few years, especially since Mel's drunk driving arrest in 2006.

There have been reports that Mel has been involved with another woman, which the actor denies, but we're told the reasons for the divorce go beyond any third party.

Launch PhotosIf there is a fight, Robyn is in good hands -- she's repped by disso-queen Laura Wasser, who has handled divorces for the likes of Angelina Jolie, Britney Spears and Stevie Wonder.

UPDATE: Robyn and Mel Gibson just issued a statement: "Throughout our marriage and separation we have always strived to maintain the privacy and integrity of our family and will continue to do so."

Sources tell TMZ the couple has been separated for more than 2 1/2 years. We'll see if Robyn agrees. Again, the separation date is important in dividing assets.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Margie

Last week I received an e-mail regarding Gibson´s teenager years, in which it says that he went back from USA to Australia and there he suffered an robbery attack which turn him a "monster" and people rejected them so he started working on a circus and his name there was "man with no face"....and after 5 years praying god, thanks to a priest, he got a plastic surgery through the catholic church. IS THAT TRUE??? o is just another fake e-mail... I am from Panama, Central America, and is very hard to believe this.... please, can someone confirm??

1906 days ago

t wagner

Since when did being religious make anyone perfect? Anyone remember Jim Bakker, Ted Haggard? Throwing stones in glass houses..... It's a shame their getting divorced. Yes, you can divorce in the Catholic Church, but you give up serious privileges to do so (unless it is annulled). Hollywood marriages, heck average marriages often do not last. Not sure why everyone is so ready to put his head on the chopping block. I'm certain his wife will get a fair settlement, as deserved and be able to go on in a comfortable manner. I'm sure he'll have to deal with whatever issues brought him to his current state of affairs, and too move on.
Be nice folks, let ye who has no sin cast the first stone.

Obama Rulz

another hollywood marriage down the drain... surprise surprise...

Susan

People change, people grow apart. They had a good run. I hope they both find their path to happiness. It is always sad - no matter what.

John

I just spoke to Mel, he blamed the divorce on Jews.

LisaL

I never understand the balls some people have..
SHE wants the divorce, but she wants HIM to pay for HER attorneys? WTH kind of logic is that?
"I'm divorcing you, but I want you to pay for the very best lawyers for me!"
What?

Lana Caine

In this case, I hope she takes him for everything he's got. What a tool and a train wreck. Make sure you get it annuled you religious zealot! And I'm sure you'll be living on the straight and narrow once you're divorced. Wake up dummy, the earth is not the center of the Universe. You're living in prehistoric times. Buh-bye. And have another drink while you're at it, you lush.

Reine

I've always liked Mel Gibson but I blame this divorce on him. I think she had enough & he's the fool.

justsaying

"Another on bites the dust."

Dan

gotta give 'em cred... they lasted 28 years... that's like a hundred times longer than the usual avg for a Hollywood marriage! Probably longer than most marriages in America for that matter......

Nasty

That's so sad.

I will keep the family in my prayers.

Biff

Get rid of the ugly @ss Ho Mel, You can do better than Her, Why? Because your Mel Gibson.

chrisa

geez, took her long enough. hope she bleeds him dry, psycho bastard that he is. he belongs in the same crazy club as tom cruise, billy boob et al. loooooozzzzers all of them.

Electro King

Lana, you sound a little angry. Did Mel do something to offend YOU or do you think the universre revolves around YOU and you're just looking for some attention?

rendez-vous

it will go to be crazy! her lawyer won't need to work until his death! and mel gibson will work until his death!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments