Miss Cali Claims She Was 'Biblically Correct'

4/21/2009 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Sure, she alienated the gay and lesbian audience and probably lost the crown by saying "Marriage should only be between a man and a woman," but Miss USA loser Carrie Prejean has no regrets.

Carrie Prejean: Click to watch
Matt Lauer gave Carrie a second chance to answer the controversial question this morning on "Today." Her answer: "The way that I answered might have been offensive ... but for me, it was being biblically correct."

Mariah

An openly homosexual blogger and judge of the Miss USA pageant has launched into a full-blown attack on Christian contestant Carrie Prejean – calling her a b-tch and a c---, as well as defacing photos of her with sexually explicit drawings – because she believes marriage should be between a man and a woman.
At Sunday night's pageant, Prejean was asked the one question she dreaded most, "Vermont recently became the fourth state to legalize same-sex marriage; do you think every state should follow suit?"
Her answer, which suddenly has made her the center of both praise and scorn, included the words, "In my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised and that's how I think it should be – between a man and a woman."
Prejean received some boos from the audience. As the contestants watched from backstage, the room was silent.
"A lot of people were shocked," Miss Vermont told Fox News. "We were all kind of giving each other those eyes, we couldn't believe it." But, blogger and celebrity "judge" Perez Hilton, a self-described "queen of all media," immediately tore into Prejean in a YouTube video he made right after the contest's conclusion, calling her a "dumb b-tch" and claiming she had given "the worst answer in pageant history."
He admitted to giving Prejean a zero score.
In a follow-up interview on MSNBC, the flamboyant judge was asked if he had apologized for his reaction, but instead he added to it. "I don't apologize," Hilton said on air. "Over the course of the past 24 hours, the more I've thought about it, the more – you know what? – No, I'm going to stand by what I said just like she's standing by what she said. And I called her the 'b' word, and hey, I was thinking the 'c' word."
Prejean, a student at San Diego Christian College, became as first runner-up, primarily due to Hilton's vote.
The outraged pageant judge later displayed a photo of Prejean speaking into the microphone on his website. In place of the mic, he drew a white outline of a penis entering her mouth.

Keith Lewis, executive director of Miss California USA/Teen USA, wrote a supportive letter to Hilton, condemning Prejean.
"As co-executive director of Miss CA USA and one of the leaders of the Miss CA family, I am personally saddened and hurt that Miss CA USA 2009 believes marriage rights belong only to a man and a woman," he wrote. "Although I believe all religions should be able to ordain what unions they see fit, I do not believe our government should be able to discriminate against anyone. Religious beliefs have no place in politics in the Miss CA family."
Prejean, already crowned Miss California, was considered a front-runner in the Miss USA contest, but she knew her answer to that one question might not sit well with the panel, especially Hilton.
"Out of all the topics I studied up on, I dreaded that one; I prayed I would not be asked about gay marriage," Prejean told the Fox News Channel's Courtney Friel in an exclusive interview. "If I had any other question, I know I would have won." Perhaps that is debatable but it certainly cost her a lot of points with the judges.

Despite providing a response that ultimately may have cost her the crown, Prejean stood by her answer.
"I knew at that moment after I answered the question, I knew, I was not going to win because of my answer, because I had spoken from my heart, from my beliefs and for my God," she told NBC's "Today" this morning. "I wouldn't have answered it differently. The way I answered may have been offensive. With that question specifically, it's not about being politically correct. For me it was being biblically correct."

Miss Caliornia Carrie Prejean
Hilton also appeared on NBC's "Today," explaining that he demands a Miss USA winner be "politically savvy," and that even though Prejean is a Christian, he doesn't want her "talking about Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, because that's offensive."

"It's her religious beliefs which prompted her to say 'I don't believe in same-sex marriages,'" analyst Mercedes Colwin said. "So she was espousing her beliefs," and has reason to sue for violation of Title VII, which prohibits discrimination based on religion. Hilton's comments have drawn sharp reaction, even from those who might also disagree with Prejean's answer.
"I am an openly gay man and a supporter of same sex marriage and I wish Perez Hilton would shut up," writes syndicated talk show host Charles Karel Bouley in a column on Huffington Post. "This is a person who is famous for smearing snarky and crude things over celebrity photos and following Brittney's every move. He lives for controversy and is only famous for it."
However, celebrity Miley Cyrus sided with Hilton in a Twitter conversation.
"Ya th

steelersrock!!!

I would have answered the same way! I was brought up that marriage should only be between a man and a woman! BUT this is my opinion and if other people believe some thing different that is their RIGHT!!!! Isn't that why we love living in the USA. Now if we were like some other countries we would not be talking about people being gay. So shut up Perez Hilton and be happy that you have the freedom to be an outed gay person!!!!

guess who said this

"I'm a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition, and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman."

No - not Miss California - it was Barack Obama

Chris

God bless her--she had the courage to stand up and say what is right. Good for her; I hope she has a very successful career. Gorgeous, smart, and in possession of morals. Not many of those around.

Whatajoke

Her first mistake was being from KALIFORNIA.......and Perez as a JUDGE??? Good Lord, this guy gives the entire human race a bad name. She answered truthfully & showed a lot of class...so no wonder she is being vilified.

Rich

Why don't we look at the real culprit here. This is a beauty pageant, why would an organizer place so many queer judges on the panel. For the controversy, what Perez Hilton asked is expected, Guy is creepy. The other judge, forgot her name, comments were expected. The organizer of the CA pageant comments were expected. The real problem here is the marketing of the show in the name of Trump. Why don't we all just stop watching his shows. They aren't very good and just gives him a chance to puff himself up more. When Trump comes on, turn off the TV. Don't buy his properties or the properties he puts his name on.

otter4771

She wasn't even asked if she thought same sex marriage was correct or not. She didn't answer the question. Well, she did- awkwardly. That's why she lost. It was a stupid answer - and all the judges thought that. It wasn't her opinion that they didn't like, it was how she went about it.

Obama may agree with her, but he answered the question better than her. It's up to the individual states to decide, not him. That's what she should have answered.

Lynn

The majority of people didn't like inter-racial marriages 40 years ago. Actually the % was higher than those who don't like same sex marriages now. A new poll found the majority of New Yorkers approve of them.
It should not be a vote by the people. It should be decided in the court system, like interracial marriages was. Or by legislators, like in Vermont.

It doesn't matter if your Christian values doesn't like it. That is separate from the law. Also, what about divorce? That goes against Christ's teaching, yet that is definitely legal. The bible also says it's ok to be polygamous, have slaves, and sell your daughter. What about those?
Not to mention Miss Cali parading around in a barely there swimsuit. Is that 'Biblically correct'?? NOT.

whatsyourpoint

It's awesome that this person stood up for her beliefs.

However, it seems that no one is asking the gay community difficult questions, such as: Should polygamy be legalized also? Just because you want to get married and you can't doesn't necessarily mean that it's violating your civil rights. Polygamist want to get married to more than one person and can't, so is that a violation of their civil rights? Is the gay community for polygamy? If heterosexual people are expected or *required* by the gay community to be tolerant of gay marriage then the gay community should be tolerant of *ANY* non-traditional marriage. Why are these questions not getting asked to the gay community by the mainstream media?

Mother

Why is it mandatory to be tolerant to gays, but not tolerant to anyone with a differing opinion? Gays are not tolerant.
I agree with Miss California and admire that she stands for what she believes in no matter the consequences. She is in a beauty pageant, not running for the White House. And Barack Obama agrees with her and no one is calling him a dumb bitch.

Leave the girl alone.

Industry Producer

dude,

the entire state of CA has voted and the majority does not want the def of marriage to change. So boo hoo, the girl has an opinion, and it's the right of every american to have one.

the thing is, everyone who agrees with her is usually at work, doing life, the ones who are so up in arms are a tiny majority of the masses in this country.

perez might be one of the stupidest people around.

remember it's a tiny % of people that want gay marriage to be legal. tiny!!!!!!!!

Robert

Homosexuality is a poison to any society. The Bible refers to it as an abomination, vile affection, against nature and is listed along side adultery, sexual immorality, theives, swindlers, and such like. A very upstanding group. Every society that has embraced such has eventually fallen. History has proven time and again.

TIM ABRIGG

Here we go again with the gay agenda.She spoke what she believed and it is her opinion.If it wasn't for marriage between a man and a woman,there would be no gay people.Don't try and convince me that being straight is somewhat not normal!

PrettyIrishWoman

I think they need to nullify Perez Hilton's vote and crown Miss California the winner. He gave her a zero. How can that be considered a legal score? How did Trump even pick him as a judge? What are his qualifications? He calls Miss California a b----- after the Miss USA pageant is over on his blog. That should disqualify his vote altogether. Also, the California pageant officials are a disgrace as well. The people of California voted against gay marriages. Yet a small minority cannot accept this decision. They are filled with hate and use any means at their disposal to overturn what the majority of this country morally and spiritally believes in. That marriage is between a man and woman.. Everyone has a right to their opinion and should NOT be penalized for it. These types of questions need to be left out of the Miss USA pageant altogether. I didn't know we were in a political pageant of the third degree!

George

Like others said she was asked a question and gave her answer whether you agree with it or not. Now she is being blacklisted for making her statements. What kind of world do we live in now? She should not hav been penalized by her comments.

Good for her in standing up for what she believes in.

1958 days ago
Previous 15 Comments | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments